Ktm 150 ? Will it be a good bike for me?

Im 5'10", 150-160lbs and race hare scrambles. Ive been on a 2007 ktm125sx and i really liked it but its time to get a newer bike. Im thinking about getting a ktm 150 but dont know which style will be best for me. Ill list them.

2014 Ktm 150 xc

2015 Ktm 150 sx

2016 Ktm 150 sx

Those are the options i have so which one would work best for me. Btw i have no problem buying a oversized fuel tank and 18' rear wheel if i got an sx.

The 14/15 are virtually identical so the improvement between those two is slim. The 16 is nearly 9lbs lighter and up a couple HP over the 14/15 models. Overall probably a better motorcycle...That being said, of you need suspension work and such, the money you can save by buying the older model can be used for upgrade. In all honesty, I might suggest a 200xcw. The added torque and e-start are a big plus for racing offroad and it's a bike your more then likely can keep for a long while...

• Like 1

Its so hard to make my mind up. Ive debated it before and ive raced a few races on a 03 200exc and i cant stand the open chambers on it. I was constantly trying my best to not crash because of how soft and springy they are. Idk how the new ones are though so its hard to tell if id like it. My lap times were better with the 07 125 sx too and it was easier for me to ride fast because of the twin chambers. My number one choice would be a 200xc but they are so hard to find around here.

at this time you cannot get a big tank for the 2016 150, we have a 150 club thread going

Its so hard to make my mind up. Ive debated it before and ive raced a few races on a 03 200exc and i cant stand the open chambers on it. I was constantly trying my best to not crash because of how soft and springy they are. Idk how the new ones are though so its hard to tell if id like it. My lap times were better with the 07 125 sx too and it was easier for me to ride fast because of the twin chambers. My number one choice would be a 200xc but they are so hard to find around here.

Lol, well if "stock" forks are your problem, then you definitely aren't going to like the 4cs forks. Suspension and setup is all relative to what your willing to put into it... I've used and have had awesome OC/CC/4CS forks but we put the time and effort in to make them that way...

• Like 1

Ive heard the 4cs forks need to be tuned for them to be good at all so i dont have a problem with that but i just havent had good experience with the 200exc i rode. I dont know much about suspension either. Can a open chamber be tuned for fast racing?

Ive heard the 4cs forks need to be tuned for them to be good at all so i dont have a problem with that but i just havent had good experience with the 200exc i rode. I dont know much about suspension either. Can a open chamber be tuned for fast racing?

What's "fast racing"? The answer is yes regardless...

Haha alright. Ive just always thought open chambers were for slower riding since ktm puts them on the enduro models and the 200exc i rode was so soft. I have alot to learn about suspension lol. The type of riding im talking about is gncc style racing just a little tighter.

Would a 15 150sx be good for me in hare scrambles after i got the suspension tuned? What could i do to make it more like a xc?

I dont see much point in trying to make it more like the XC, the SX already has a 6 speed and a very well spaced 6 speed at that. 18 inch rear is not really necessary, I actually prefer the 19 on my 2014 sx set up for enduro. (btw I weigh 200 naked and the 150 has plenty of power for me, even in the A class)

Considering my weight i think the 150 will be fine because im used to a 125sx. I wont worry about the 18 inch wheel then. Just the tank and suspesion tuning.

If you're looking for a 15 sx you may as well look for 14s, same bike  but with CCs, a much easier fork to get working well..

I didnt know that. Thanks. I like how the 15 has a orange frame and the graphics orange instead of black though. Is it hard for shops to tune the 4cs forks?

My suspension on the 14sx and 16sx were done by the same shop, Racing woods GP and I like each bike. The new bike turns better.

At 190 A level my 200exc in a 02 stock 125 sx chassis is very good, fairly close to stock setting to.

Husky makes an offroad/enduro focused 125, the TE125. Comes with a 3 ish gallon tank, 18 in rear wheel and 4CS forks with linkage in the back. I've been racing mine in Mid East and NCHSA (slowly), and if you are looking for a smallbore its worth consideration.

I think other than it being a slightly newer bike you will be disappointed in the overall upgrade and how it doesn't or won't be that noticeable. The exception being that if you got the 16 because it's lighter.

Probably be better off with suspension mods and rebuild your motor into a 144 or 200. Look for a used top end or maybe even 144 your stock cylinder like have some one like gorr do it.

Freshen the chassis paint the frame orange get some white plastics.

I did some comparisons of the 144/150 from 07 thru 2011 40 hp 18.9 ft tq 12 thru 15 38 hp 18.6 ft tq it lost power due to the linkage. 2016 40 hp 16.9 ft torque.

So what are you really upgrading to other than a newer chassis and look not much. Unless your bike is totally roached out with the right mods you could have basically the same thing.

I think other than it being a slightly newer bike you will be disappointed in the overall upgrade and how it doesn't or won't be that noticeable. The exception being that if you got the 16 because it's lighter.

Probably be better off with suspension mods and rebuild your motor into a 144 or 200. Look for a used top end or maybe even 144 your stock cylinder like have some one like gorr do it.

Freshen the chassis paint the frame orange get some white plastics.

I did some comparisons of the 144/150 from 07 thru 2011 40 hp 18.9 ft tq 12 thru 15 38 hp 18.6 ft tq it lost power due to the linkage. 2016 40 hp 16.9 ft torque.

So what are you really upgrading to other than a newer chassis and look not much. Unless your bike is totally roached out with the right mods you could have basically the same thing.

I own two and they are not the same chassis or motor , my 16 is all around a better bike than my 14. I know anyone who buys a 2016 sx150 over another model year will not be disappointed.

I still stand behind what I said and it's the more logical thing for the orginal poster to do. Especially since in the 150 club thread they op states they've never jetted a 2 stroke before. Sounds like they should concentrate more or skills and dialing in Thier current bike. Instead of buying a new bike that won't be that big of a change and they won't really notice the changes and end up with a lighter wallet.

Stand behind anything you want. My post didn't start with " I Think". I own them I know.  Other than the aftermarket not having a oversized tank the 16 overall is a better bike than the 14/15 he listed.

I would not turn away from a earlier model but if a 16 can be had get it. My 14 is a spare right now, solid bike and a good choice.

​Would I like a 18 inch rear wheel, yay but not always. The 16's tank wont come into play until the 24hr challenge and it its a big deal I can ride the 2013 WR144.

Jetting is not a big deal, the owners manual will get you close enough.  I didn't find the stock suspension to be that bad and to be honest if I didn't have a guy I would have just ran it. Its a tad stiff and he is on the light side of the stock springs.