2016 300RR Race Gearing

Hey guys, I rode my brand new 2016 Beta 300RR RE today for the first time. Bought it from Motoworx in Hatfield MA and its my first 300. I am coming off a KTM 250XC and had that bike set up great but wanted to try something new...

So, my question is... What does everyone run for gearing? It seemed to rev out pretty quickly and scream "shift me" pretty quickly. The motor is great, I was just expecting more linear/longer pull of power. I played with the power valve and actually rode at the mild setting as I felt faster that way...

Thanks in advance

We have a whole wide variety of terrain. Ignorant single track to fast cart roads. Lots of rocks...

Factory gearing should be 13/49 same as the standard RR model. I have a standard RR with factory gearing and don't have the problem you're explaining. Could be just me though. I'm pretty sure the common gearing upgrade is 13/51 or 52 gearing. I might try 13/51 myself after the factory chain and sprocket set wears out. Definitely good choice adjusting the power valve, you can really change the power characteristics with little effort.

Is 1st too long and are you topping out 6th?

Stock gearing works for me so far, and if I make I change, I will make the gearing even shorter by going up a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. That's the opposite of what you want to accomplish.

Congrats on the bike. I really like mine.

• Like 1

I'm running 13/50 and it seems to work 95% of the time ....tight single track etc. I change out to a 14 countershaft only for lot longer dual sport stuff...just my two cents;)

• Like 1

Hmmm opposite of what I want to do...

I remember reading a comment from Tegan Temple or Jesse Groemm where he said that the 250 can go that extra 50 yards without shifting where the 300 needs to shift. That's what I'm experiencing as well. Just in between gears and its geared way too low. 1st gear is useless... Even coming off an KTM XC (close ratio tranny) this seems super close. Kind of like what I imagine a trials bike should be like

Factory gearing should be 13/49 same as the standard RR model. I have a standard RR with factory gearing and don't have the problem you're explaining. Could be just me though. I'm pretty sure the common gearing upgrade is 13/51 or 52 gearing. I might try 13/51 myself after the factory chain and sprocket set wears out. Definitely good choice adjusting the power valve, you can really change the power characteristics with little effort.

my 16 300RR has 15-45 gearing from the factory. Super tall but pretty convenient for my bike since it's plated.  The only time i've held it WOT in 6th i managed to hit 73mph on some powerlines before i had to let off.

I'm pretty sure the manual says the standard is 15-45 and the Race is 13-50 but i'm not positive.

Edited by k4f5x0r

Race is 13/49, stock.  I'm running 14/49.  Perfect.  Still low enough to climb anything, but now 2nd and 3rd are usable on the trails. 

• Like 1

I just ordered a 14 front. I made up an excel spread sheet with calculations of the gearing of the BETA and my previous bike. If I go 14/48, it will put me pretty damn close... Fun with numbers. If anyone wants the chart, let me know. It's crazy the differences in design vs. my last KTM 250XC

13/50 here, seems a pretty good set up to me. JT steel rear sprocket (CRF450 fitment) and Renthal front.

I just ordered a 14 front. I made up an excel spread sheet with calculations of the gearing of the BETA and my previous bike. If I go 14/48, it will put me pretty damn close... Fun with numbers. If anyone wants the chart, let me know. It's crazy the differences in design vs. my last KTM 250XC

No need for a spreadsheet.  Just use this site.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/