What sprocket size do I need for a 2000 Drz400 kickstart?

My sprockets are shot lol, I'm having trouble finding how many teeth I need for my rear sprocket without taking my rear wheel off and actually counting every one. It seems no one has a kickstart model these days, Iguess because it's an old bike. I know that the front sprocket has 13 teeth but how many does the rear one have? I want to be able to keep the same chain and the same speed as before. Thanks!!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458511396.105177.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458511417.105135.jpg

Your bike didn't come stock with that 13tooth front sprocket, so it's been changed. Hard to say what you have in the back, but like Decil (above) says, everything is probably wanting to be replaced anyway......

Length of chain needs to match sprockets..........

• Like 1

If your sprocket is shot, the your chain probably is as well. It's probably a 47 tooth.

Yeah It's a 47 lol do you guys know where I can find a 13 front and 47 sprocket set that comes with a chain? I want to buy it all from the same company. And will a 14 front make any difference than a 13? I want the same acceleration but I can only find 14 and 47 kits.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458513234.988525.jpg

Edited by Mikey123
  • Like 1

Yeah It's a 47 lol do you guys know where I can find a 13 front and 47 sprocket set that comes with a chain? I want to buy it all from the same company. And will a 14 front make any difference than a 13? I want the same acceleration but I can only find 14 and 47 kits.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458513234.988525.jpg

A 13 tooth front might have a tendency to wear faster because of the smaller diameter. Stock was 14-47 and in my opinion, won't make that big a difference. I assume you're riding in dirt, and this configuration should work great. Most all of the combo's I've seen out there offer the 14-47 combo, so I would go with that. Make sure you are getting steel sprockets and that the chain is a good one....DID or equivalent.

Have fun bro.......

edit: btw......from the looks of your picture, that chain and sprocket are toast........wow, you definitely need some new shit

Edited by Signman606

A 13 tooth front might have a tendency to wear faster because of the smaller diameter. Stock was 14-47 and in my opinion, won't make that big a difference. I assume you're riding in dirt, and this configuration should work great. Most all of the combo's I've seen out there offer the 14-47 combo, so I would go with that. Make sure you are getting steel sprockets and that the chain is a good one....DID or equivalent.

Have fun bro.......

edit: btw......from the looks of your picture, that chain and sprocket are toast........wow, you definitely need some new shit

Lol yeahh I ride really hard..But thanks for the tips. I'll make sure to get some good stuff
  • Like 1

I have to disagree.  13/47 is a fairly big difference from 14/47.  13/47 is probably better for technical dirt riding and if you like it, stay with it.  I do not see the big deal about buying the chain and sprocket as a set.  Buy the individual items from the same source is the same thing. Just 3 part numbers instead of 1.  A lot of replacement chains are sold 120 links and you cut to fit.  Probably 112 for your application.

I have to disagree. 13/47 is a fairly big difference from 14/47. 13/47 is probably better for technical dirt riding and if you like it, stay with it. I do not see the big deal about buying the chain and sprocket as a set. Buy the individual items from the same source is the same thing. Just 3 part numbers instead of 1. A lot of replacement chains are sold 120 links and you cut to fit. Probably 112 for your application.

Yeah i'm buying a 13 front and 48 rear. I don't really worry about top speed. I just want to keep up with the 450's in the trails and most of the time i'm in front lol. The bike is so heavy that it sticks to the ground and doesn't spin out lol. Thanks though!!

Yeah i'm buying a 13 front and 48 rear. I don't really worry about top speed. I just want to keep up with the 450's in the trails and most of the time i'm in front lol. The bike is so heavy that it sticks to the ground and doesn't spin out lol. Thanks though!!

With a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket, a 50 tooth rear would be about as close to your 13/47 gearing as you can get.

A 14/48 would have a little more top speed, and a little less grunt. A 47, even more so.