Carb overflow is leaking gas....

Trying to revive my 200exc that sat for 1.5yrs.  I cleaned the carb, fresh gas and clean filter.  Fired up on 3rd kick  :ride:

Unfortunately, I also have a carb issue where it's leaking gas out of the overflow.  I tapped, I flipped, I bounced and I removed to check floats.  Not sticking from what I can tell.  

I also checked the float level and all looks good.  It's just a hair before parallel when I can't blow into gas line anymore.  

It's leaking steady even with the bike sitting upright.  Not a slow drip...a steady pour.  

What else to check?  I thought it might be a bad / corroded float needle?  

Floats weren't filled with gas so that's not it. And when needle seated, I couldn't blow thorough gas line. Hmmm

I have a 07 200xc which does the same thing even after installing a new needle and

polishing the crap out of the seat.So I finally looked down my seat and said what the

heck is the needle hanging up on? I noticed two tiny holes in the side of my seat ,its got to that

there`s nothing else.So what I do is position the needle in the seat so the 4 ribs on the sides of my

needle wont hit those stupid holes.

works for me ,saved me from tossing the dang carb in the woods.

Also make sure the springy top of the needle is working push it a few times.

• Like 1

Floats weren't filled with gas so that's not it. And when needle seated, I couldn't blow thorough gas line. Hmmm

The floats are not supposed to be filled with gas. If they are, replace them.

• Like 1

I have a 07 200xc which does the same thing even after installing a new needle and

polishing the crap out of the seat.So I finally looked down my seat and said what the

heck is the needle hanging up on? I noticed two tiny holes in the side of my seat ,its got to that

there`s nothing else.So what I do is position the needle in the seat so the 4 ribs on the sides of my

needle wont hit those stupid holes.

works for me ,saved me from tossing the dang carb in the woods.

Also make sure the springy top of the needle is working push it a few times.

When blowing air through my gas line, I was not able to blow air when the needle seated (floats were just below parallel).  Wouldn't that mean that my needle is seating correctly?  If I can't blow air through there....gas surely can't be escaping in there...

Is there a certain direction the spring on top of the needle should sit on the tang?  I know the spring rotates 360" around the top of the needle, but I'm wondering if there is a 'front' or 'back' - meaning which side the tang enters the spring.  If I recall, it was not symmetrical.  

I'll review my seat again and try some polishing on that spot - maybe with a toothbrush and some carb cleaner?

The floats are not supposed to be filled with gas. If they are, replace them.

Thank you but I do understand.  My floats are not compromised and do not have any gas in them.  They float just fine!

How can I test the carb without installing on the bike again?  

Can I use water instead of gas?  I could attach a hose with water in it to the gas line.  Like gas, it would fill up the bowl and I could check for leaks / overflow....but not have the same mess - or hassle of installing on the bike.  

When blowing air through my gas line, I was not able to blow air when the needle seated (floats were just below parallel).  Wouldn't that mean that my needle is seating correctly?  If I can't blow air through there....gas surely can't be escaping in there...

Is there a certain direction the spring on top of the needle should sit on the tang?  I know the spring rotates 360" around the top of the needle, but I'm wondering if there is a 'front' or 'back' - meaning which side the tang enters the spring.  If I recall, it was not symmetrical.  

Thank you but I do understand.  My floats are not compromised and do not have any gas in them.  They float just fine!

I see where you're going with the needle hanger on the float tang. If it does make a difference, it would be easy enough to test by putting the needle on the tang in both orientations and taking a measurement of each while holding the carb in hand at the proper angle so that the float tang seats the needle without compressing the little spring loaded tit.

Oops. I saw "weren't" filled with gas and read "were", and the red flags went up.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1