Sprockets

I started a thread about this but I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I have a 15 sm and just got some dirt wheels for it, what is the biggest rear sprocket I can put on with the stock chain and the 15 tooth stock sprocket? My goal is to be able to have decent gearing off road and be able to swap to the sm wheels without swapping chains or front sprockets.

The guidelines you present, (15 counter and stock chain) limit what you can do for "decent" off-road gearing.  15/44 I would guess.  That is stock S gearing. To get equivalent to 14/47 (stock E gearing) you need 15/50 which will not work with a stock chain.

Would I be able to run the sm gearing with a longer chain? I don't mind having to buy a longer chain to make a better set up work, I was just trying to avoid changing it every time I swap wheels

I run 15/47 with a 112-link chain. Could probably fit a 48 on the rear but haven't tried it.

I took a 49 off my bike (2001e) last week, 15 front and standard chain

I took a 49 off my bike (2001e) last week, 15 front and standard chain

thats pushing it and the chain was likely stretched if that worked .. pretty much you need a 114 for that and for the original poster thats a decent dirt setup, you just need a second chain .. you could do a 14 counter and 44 in the rear to use the same chain as your sm setup most likely but imo playing around with switching counters all the time on the drz is bad juju ...

That's probably what I will go with, the 112 link chain and the 47 tooth rear. I want to make swapping rear wheels as easy and fast as possible. 15-47 will still be a bit tall but will have to do! Thanks for the help guys!

I run 14-41 on my SM wheels since I no longer have to go above 50 on any of my rides. And when dirt wheels are on it run 14-44

IMG_2098.JPGIMG_2099.JPGI run a 112 chain and use a 15/44 for my SM wheels and when it's dressed in 21"-18" dirt tires I run.. 15/47 with the same chain....

That is what I will probably run, do you think with a 112 link chain there is enough adjustment to run the stock rear sprocket, or do you have to go to the 44 rear ?

That is what I will probably run, do you think with a 112 link chain there is enough adjustment to run the stock rear sprocket, or do you have to go to the 44 rear ?

A 112-link chain is too long for 15/41.