Newb question

I can't really find the answer on the forums so I'm just going to start a new thread. I know it's a dumb question, but on my 01 drz400s there's a switch that says on, prime, and reserve. When do I use each setting? On for running? Prime for starting? Please help, thanks

I can't really find the answer on the forums so I'm just going to start a new thread. I know it's a dumb question, but on my 01 drz400s there's a switch that says on, prime, and reserve. When do I use each setting? On for running? Prime for starting? Please help, thanks

Prime--is equivalent to full time ON--does not rely on vacuum from the motor to allow fuel to flow through petcock.  Would only really be used after the carburetor bowl has been emptied, either manually or from running it out of fuel.

ON--is like an "auto on/off"  When the engine cranks it allows fuel to pass through the petcock.  When the engine is killed the petcock is closed off from fuel flow.  This is the setting you should be using and leaving the bike set to.

Reserve--well you should know that...

Edited by kevvyd

So I should just leave it set to on.... Thanks, I appreciate it.

Since there is no fuel gauge, you have to monitor mileage. If you fail and run out, change to reserve and you have a few miles to find gas. Prime it when you run out.

This info is in the owner's manual, but I suggest buying the Clymer manual.

Edited by Blasters Fan

So I should just leave it set to on.... Thanks, I appreciate it.

Uncomplicated:  Yes, leave it set to "on"

gotta admit, i didnt get that either until i read this. :facepalm: