Tips for starting 250fs

Hey just stepped of a two stroke and not liking this four stroke kick start crap. Any tips to start easier. Just got the valves done. New piston. My bikes an 07 crf 250r

kick it over once slowly to bring it to TDC then kick as hard as you can. 

Tips for the KTM guys...

Press the button

Ride away

Ease it past tdc, bring lever back up then kick.   You'll have to figure out what it likes cold,  choke on plus a certain amount of quick twists of the throttle to squirt the acel pump can help prime it.   Don't open the throttle when you kick like your ring ding.   Hot restart use the hot start, throttle closed to cracked slightly, no throttle pumps.  Don't stab at it, stroke it all the way through. Don't just keep kicking it if it doesn't light after a few tries, figure out what it wants.

I kicked a sportster every morning to ride to school, 250f's aren't bad.

Edited by highmarker

two quick very small twists of the throttle prior to kicking

then kick - (dont touch/use throttle again till it starts)

saying that my 08crf250r was a temperamental to start when it was hot. 

Mine is a one twist/choke and crank bike, you need to expermint and see what your bike likes.

Cold: Full choke, kick really slow until you hear decompressor click, then two full quick twists of the throttle, full smooth kick and she starts on the first try just about every time.

Hot: Cross your fingers and pray lol.

two quick very small twists of the throttle prior to kicking

then kick - (dont touch/use throttle again till it starts)

saying that my 08crf250r was a temperamental to start when it was hot.

Thanks yeah I have an 07

I have a 08 crf250r and my will flood easy so make sure you are not twisting the throttle when trying to start.

I always swat the throttle wide open 2 times before I start kicking. Seems to help. Shoots a little petrol down the wind tunnel

Edited by Berm-Saw

So I just got a 2007 crf 250r and it's awesome. Brand new crank,valves,piston but it's running funny. So I go to start it up and it takes a really long time to start. Choke doesn't really help at all. Once it's warmed up it's fine to start. And when it's hot it's easy. The valves are fine. It also has a nasty bog. If I hack the throttle it just bahhh. Also theres no happy medium with the idle. I have to turn it up and down and it's just really annoying any help would be great. Could it be the air screw? I know this guy used this for ice fishing so could be have messed with the jetting or air screw? It's spring in New England here and it's around 50 degrees average for this month. Thanks!

You might be better off in the CRF threads.l

You might be better off in the CRF threads.l

sorry

So I just got a 2007 crf 250r and it's awesome. Brand new crank,valves,piston but it's running funny. So I go to start it up and it takes a really long time to start. Choke doesn't really help at all. Once it's warmed up it's fine to start. And when it's hot it's easy. The valves are fine. It also has a nasty bog. If I hack the throttle it just bahhh. Also theres no happy medium with the idle. I have to turn it up and down and it's just really annoying any help would be great. Could it be the air screw? I know this guy used this for ice fishing so could be have messed with the jetting or air screw? It's spring in New England here and it's around 50 degrees average for this month. Thanks!

Choke doesn't help me either. Give your throttle 2 pumps before you start kicking, mine always fires easier when I do that. Also if you run 10% ethanol your bike is gonna start harder, I know mine does. Start it on the stand, that way you can give it strong firm kicks. I was always adjusting my idle as well when I ran 10%, basically these bikes just hate ethanol.

the ethanol clogs up every passage way if you leave gas in it, next time you put the bike away turn the gas off and let it idle until it dies.

In cool new hampshire? swap the 42 for a 45 PJ

Choke doesn't help me either. Give your throttle 2 pumps before you start kicking, mine always fires easier when I do that. Also if you run 10% ethanol your bike is gonna start harder, I know mine does. Start it on the stand, that way you can give it strong firm kicks. I was always adjusting my idle as well when I ran 10%, basically these bikes just hate ethanol.

the ethanol clogs up every passage way if you leave gas in it, next time you put the bike away turn the gas off and let it idle until it dies.

so should I put fuel stabilizer in the gas?

and is this where the bog is coming from. Because even when I was riding hard the bog when I hacked the throttle was still there.

the bike takes around 20 kicks to start.