Sign in to follow this  

SSR 189?

Anyone have an ssr 189 or even 150? I'd like to specifically know about the durability. I had a 125 about a year ago and it was pretty sucky.

I've seen that ssr is making a comeback and start to win mx races.

Let me know what you think

I bought a SSR XF250 back in September. I have put 1,300 miles on it so far and no issues.

How does it compare to a Japanese bike

Well honestly it's my first bike. The SSR was the right price and the perfect starter bike. It obviously has cheaper parts on it. Just gotta break it in easy and check over the bike often for loose screws etc for the firsts 1000 miles.

A Japanese bike will be much better in quality in the long run. It's like the difference in buying a Kia vs a Toyota.

Well honestly it's my first bike. The SSR was the right price and the perfect starter bike. It obviously has cheaper parts on it. Just gotta break it in easy and check over the bike often for loose screws etc for the firsts 1000 miles.

A Japanese bike will be much better in quality in the long run. It's like the difference in buying a Kia vs a Toyota.

Yea that's what I figured. I had an ssr 125 last year as my starter bike. It was a good but quality was terrible. I keep going back to their website though because the price is unbeatable. But i guess you get what you pay for.

Have you worked on any recent Toyotas? They ain't what they used to be, the Kia may be a better value in every way.

On that note, as a guy who bends all my own wrenches, I'd be willing to give a new SSR a shot, and be willing to forgive it if it's not perfect, thanks to the low buy in cost. Similarly, I've seen some problems on Jap bikes that I find inexcusable (I'm looking at you KLX110).