STRAY BULLETS WARNING (Santa Fe Buckman area)

Just wanted to put out a warning to those that ride in the Buckman area north of Santa Fe. I ride there every single weekend and usually park off the water treatment facility road at the large clear area where the powerlines, dirt road, and single track intersect.

I've always known about a shooting range miles away, and we all are used to hearing the shots from far off, but today while hanging out at the trucks after the ride, we heard a bunch of repetitive shots. Seconds later a bullet came whizzing over my truck, couldn't have been more than 20 feet off the ground and went straight into the hillside not more than 50 feet from me and three others. We took cover, and one person called the cops. We figured some idiot was shooting way too high at the range, so me and my buddy rode into the hills to see if we could get to the range, but I think it was too far. We never found it.

Back at the truck minutes later, we heard more shots and possibly 3 to 5 more bullets whizzed by, this time much higher in the air, but still almost directly above us! Another one of us called the cops again, and the shooting range seemed to get quiet, so maybe the officer showed up after all. We quickly packed up and got the eff outta there.

I'm not gonna let it stop me from enjoying the trails out there, but I'm definitely parking elsewhere from now on. I don't think it was intentional, and they couldn't have been that close to us, judging by the time delay from sound of fire to when the bullets got to us.

Careful out there.

• Like 1

New Mexico seems particularly bad about this as you can go shoot out on BLM land and nobody really cares if its away from houses. I've had bullets whiz by me on several occasions while riding in Los Lunas and on the northern trails at Southern. I've also been riding at Montessa during the weekdays and found idiots parked in the wash shooting pistols. Stay safe out there and keep your heads on a swivel!

Same here! In No. Nevada driving between Reno & Fernley I often see shooters firing  ( facing away form the highway) just off I80 and I keep running into guys shooting across the trails in the Virginia Range when I trail ride from my house to Virginia City. Don't get me wrong I'm a supporter of the 2d Amendment I just wish everyone who owns a firearm was trained and aware of their surroundings!

• Like 3

Same here! In No. Nevada driving between Reno & Fernley I often see shooters firing ( facing away form the highway) just off I80 and I keep running into guys shooting across the trails in the Virginia Range when I trail ride from my house to Virginia City. Don't get me wrong I'm a supporter of the 2d Amendment I just wish everyone who owns a firearm was trained and aware of their surroundings!

Hey, looking forward to coming up for your National this year.

While we definitely are going to park in the other lot now, I dont worry about it once I'm riding. The area is so vast and there are tons of valleys and hills, I know the chances are slim. Honestly I worry more about a confrontation further up the north in the hills where you start to see fences and private property signs.

• Like 1

New Mexico seems particularly bad about this as you can go shoot out on BLM land and nobody really cares if its away from houses. I've had bullets whiz by me on several occasions while riding in Los Lunas and on the northern trails at Southern. I've also been riding at Montessa during the weekdays and found idiots parked in the wash shooting pistols. Stay safe out there and keep your heads on a swivel!

Yep, my back yard borders BLM and any day of the week I can hear shooting very close to my house.  Just the other day I was running no more than 100 yards behind my house and a bullet whizzed over my head.  I run my bike without a baffle for a reason, so I can be heard.

• Like 1

Hey, looking forward to coming up for your National this year.

Yea! OTMX on 4/16 &17 & OTHG on 5/ 28 & 29 both with practices on Fri. before. Fernley MX Track just off I-80 30 miles east of Reno, memberships available at signups if your not already a member. Lots of fun and lots & lots  of sand I promise.

available

Yea! OTMX on 4/16 &17 & OTHG on 5/ 28 & 29 both with practices on Fri. before. Fernley MX Track just off I-80 30 miles east of Reno, memberships available at signups if your not already a member. Lots of fun and lots & lots of sand I promise.

available

Valley Chapter, raced there 3 years ago at the National and had a blast. It's going to be a great time.

You able to make it to any of the other Nationals this year? I'll be at all of them. Stop by and say hi. The number is 79v now, not 513.

Edited by wes513v