What happened to mx tv shows?

I miss watching moto inside the outdoors. Also Bubbas world even though I likes moto better. Anyone know what happened to these or even the great outdoors?

I miss watching moto inside the outdoors. Also Bubbas world even though I likes moto better. Anyone know what happened to these or even the great outdoors?

I don't consider riding, or sex, a spectator sport.  :p

Free bump. :thumbsup:

The interest in the sport is starting to dwindle. Kids these days would rather have a new IMac and IPhone than to be outside riding. No joke. I go to college on my GI Bill, so I'm at least 7 years older than most people there, and nearly everyone in my major has no interest in anything outdoors. It's crazy. Obviously there's exceptions, but staying inside is no longer the exception, it's the norm. And being interested in outdoor sports like riding is the exception.

The interest in the sport is starting to dwindle. Kids these days would rather have a new IMac and IPhone than to be outside riding. No joke. I go to college on my GI Bill, so I'm at least 7 years older than most people there, and nearly everyone in my major has no interest in anything outdoors. It's crazy. Obviously there's exceptions, but staying inside is no longer the exception, it's the norm. And being interested in outdoor sports like riding is the exception.

Yeup, you are absolutely correct, youngins are more interested in the hand held texting and video game playing toy than out door stuff, when I was a little dude I enjoyed riding and wrenching, and some basket ball, mabe a trip to the shooting range, I think they need to introduce some easy to afford dirtbikes for these youngsters, and get them away from those zombie creating hand helds! Nerds 1, outdoor types 0.243961.pngdang nerds!Angry-Video-Game-Nerd.jpg

This seems to be a pretty sad trend. When I was a kid, most days we were all out on skateboards, bikes, roller blades, until it got dark out. I was late to work on thurs and all the kids were out at their bus stops... where the hell did all these kids come from?! I'd never seen 75% of them before, had no idea there were that many kids in my neighborhood... i've been living there for 2yrs. I spend most of my time outside and if I didn't know better, I'd say half the houses in my neighborhood are abandoned..thats how little these people get out of the house. I just assume most Americans are glued to a tv or mobile device for the majority of their free time. Really quite sad.

I'm not going to do anything about it so I guess the less people out in the woods the better for us that do venture off the couch? IDK i'm trying to find some positive in it. 

Hopefully the military gets some robots or something because the upcoming generation of would be soldiers don't seem to be very good at anything that doesn't involve pressing buttons and an LCD screen. Obviously its not every single kid but there is certainly a huge portion of the upcoming generation that is almost completely sedentary and super entitled to boot. 

One of the strangest changes in the whole sports trend thing that people are talking about here is how drastically it has changed in such a short period of time. When I was a teenager and in part of my early 20's the extreme sports movement was at it's peak. There were shows, shops and interest for all things BMX, snowboard, Dirt Bike, skateboard, roller blading, mountain biking, etc. The MTV sports and music festival, X Games, Shaun Palmer, Jeremy McGrath were things my friends and I could go on and on about. There was good stuff everywhere.

Fifteen years pass and next thing you know a lot of it all has become a vacuum with steep cost of entry, lack of activity spots, and kids who are like, "What? You ride bikes for fun???" I for one hate to dwell in the past, but I realize I had it good in that sense. I feel fortunate to know what it was like to live life without the internet, but be able to use it now.

Edited by Metal and Dirt

Yeup, you are absolutely correct, youngins are more interested in the hand held texting and video game playing toy than out door stuff, when I was a little dude I enjoyed riding and wrenching, and some basket ball, mabe a trip to the shooting range, I think they need to introduce some easy to afford dirtbikes for these youngsters, and get them away from those zombie creating hand helds! Nerds 1, outdoor types 0.attachicon.gif243961.pngdang nerds!attachicon.gifAngry-Video-Game-Nerd.jpg

I think the bigger issue (at least in CT) is there's no where to ride off road legally and the MX tracks are far and few between. Moto town never re-opened after the roof collapse. The town of Rocky Hill finally succeeded in shutting down Tony Larusso's CT RIVER MOTOCROSS Track. This will be the tracks last season. I used to live in RH so if you want details about how & why it was shut down, let me know... total bullshit. 

So you have to find legal access to private land or trespass/run from the DEEP. Getting started in the sport in CT is actually a chore if you're a by the books, law abiding citizen. I would love to be able to ride the forest I ride legally. We had to run from the DEEP out there this past weekend. Glad my taxes are paying these guys to hang out in their pick up trucks all day, on the weekend (overtime!), waiting for the random dirt biker to ride by... its not like they are good at catching us.

Having state support for our sport and having sanctioned places to ride would be huge in getting more people into the sport. 

One of the strangest changes in the whole sports trend thing that people are talking about here is how drastically it has changed in such a short period of time. When I was a teenager and in part of my early 20's the extreme sports movement was at it's peak. There were shows, shops and interest for all things BMX, snowboard, Dirt Bike, skateboard, roller blading, mountain biking, etc. The MTV sports and music festival, X Games, Sean Palmer, Jeremy McGrath were things my friends and I could go on and on about. There was good stuff everywhere.

Fifteen years pass and next thing you know a lot of it all has become a vacuum with steep cost of entry, lack of activity spots, and kids who are like, "What? You ride bikes for fun???" I for one hate to dwell in the past, but I realize I had it good in that sense. I feel fortunate to know what it was like to live life without the internet, but be able to use it now.

Yes yes and yes.  

We're still lucky here in Michigan that we have plenty of areas to ride (3,000+ miles of trails open to ORVs).  However I still have seen the trend here as well.  When I was a teenager, many of my friend's parents had cabins/cottages "up-north".  It was common to go "up-north" every weekend and ride trails, sit around the fire, hunt, fish, etc.  That seems like a rarity now. 

I don't want to come off an the angry old guy yelling at the kids to get off my lawn, but I do think it's just a different world now.  Everybody gets a trophy.  We don't keep score.  The thing that blows my mind is when I drive to work and at every bus stop I see 20 cars idling with kids sitting in them and not a single kid standing outside.  Even when it's 50 degrees out.  How nuts is that?  When we were kids, we all stood at the bus stop in the rain, snow, sleet and single digit temps.  

My niece was dating this big burly guy.  They were 20 or 21 years old at the time.  He got a flat on his truck.  He told me he had to miss work the next day because he arranged for a flat bed to pick it up and deliver it to the dealership to get the tire fixed.  I told him, that's nuts!  I said, let's go right now and I'll help you throw the spare on and we can either plug the tire or run it up to get a new one.  He said, "naw, it's just easier to pay someone".  

Different mindset.

Man yoi guys have opened my eyes. This is crazy I'm 18 and I'm nothing like people now a days. I'm outside every chance I get or at least in the garage working on my bikes. I would kick my own ass jf I couldn't change a flat. With that being said my truck is on 35s ans I have no spare or a jack (smart I know) but I don't drive far haha. Seriously I wish kids would get out more. My brother sits around and plays games while his 80 begs to be ridden

We're still lucky here in Michigan that we have plenty of areas to ride (3,000+ miles of trails open to ORVs).  However I still have seen the trend here as well.  When I was a teenager, many of my friend's parents had cabins/cottages "up-north".  It was common to go "up-north" every weekend and ride trails, sit around the fire, hunt, fish, etc.  That seems like a rarity now. 

I don't want to come off an the angry old guy yelling at the kids to get off my lawn, but I do think it's just a different world now.  Everybody gets a trophy.  We don't keep score.  The thing that blows my mind is when I drive to work and at every bus stop I see 20 cars idling with kids sitting in them and not a single kid standing outside.  Even when it's 50 degrees out.  How nuts is that?  When we were kids, we all stood at the bus stop in the rain, snow, sleet and single digit temps.  

My niece was dating this big burly guy.  They were 20 or 21 years old at the time.  He got a flat on his truck.  He told me he had to miss work the next day because he arranged for a flat bed to pick it up and deliver it to the dealership to get the tire fixed.  I told him, that's nuts!  I said, let's go right now and I'll help you throw the spare on and we can either plug the tire or run it up to get a new one.  He said, "naw, it's just easier to pay someone".  

Different mindset.

Ahh is this the conversation or moment when I realize i'm "old" ?! I'm only 29! Yet I relate to everything you just said... ughh. The bus stop thing drives me nuts. Almost every fcking kid has their own bus stop and they're sitting in a running car...wtf is the point of the parent sitting there waiting for a bus... just drive the kid to school at that point! So the damn bus has to stop every 50ft to pick up another kid, the kid is waiting in a car instead of the sidewalk so it takes them forever to get on the bus and find a seat. My bus stop was for the whole neighborhood, there was 15 of us and all of our parents dropped us and went to work. Dress for the weather kid or today is going to suck. Damnit, now I feel like I should go vote and play bingo

Oh man. The extreme sports movement. I grew up in the height of that too. Going on and on about Jermey McGrath haha! I remember that.

I'll and a little extra mindset in here some others have touched on. The expense of the sports is insane now, especially with the liberal movement in some states where they succeed in shutting down MX tracks, trails, and everything else we used to ride on in order to save the trees, or whatever else they say. That's a crock of shit in my opinion, because dirt bike riders are some of the most environmentally conscious people I know. We ride in the wilderness for goodness sake! We want to see it survive. The people who shut everything out of it don't succeed in bringing awareness, they succeed in shutting everyone out so no one wants to venture out in it to enjoy it, in fear of breaking some type of law.

It's easier and cheaper for kids these days to pick up video games instead of getting into something else. I grew up modifying mustangs and cars, and that's all but gone away to technology as well. My biggest fear is that we turn into a zombie society where no one ventures outside to do anything but go to work or the store. And it's headed that way now with the future generation. Obviously there's exceptions, but it used to be that the exception was people who stayed inside all day. People who used to stay locked in doors used to get made fun of for being hermits. Now people who venture outside get made fun of more not being hip with the new technology. Riding dirt bikes is sooooo 10 years ago! Let's spend 80 bucks on the newest video game instead and we don't have to go anywhere.

I'd be interested to hear from some of our European members to see if this has spread across the ocean too. Total lack of interest in any outdoors sport.

I totally agree with you guys. I must be the last generation of outdoor enthusiasts. Thank god for dirtbikes and the outdoors

Society in itself is in a bad downward spiral.  I'm 29 and the changes I've seen since my childhood are frightening.  I grew up doing everything. I played video games because that's just something that's natural for kids to be interested in, I'd argue that there's some creative balance there.  I mean what's not cool about old school battletoads, mario, mortal kombat, and street fighter.  I used dial-up internet to pirate music even as early as middle school when my parents had no idea how to do anything but MS word.  Those things kept me aware of the advances in technology, brought about my computer literacy, and made it easier for school down the road.  I did my own research online, did my own reports.  I also did EVERYTHING outside...skate, baseball, basketball, dirtbikes, bicycles.  I mean I'd ride my bicycle from one side of town to the other in my late elementary years, it was literally my form of transportation!!!  Why not?  My parents sure as hell weren't going to carry me everywhere I wanted to go.

Now I'm almost 30, I have my own house, and I live within 3-4 miles of about 4 schools (all ages).  I literally see parents pull out of their subdivision RIGHT NEXT TO SCHOOL, and WAIT IN LINE for 30 mins INSIDE THE CAR, to drop their kids off.  YOU LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCHOOL!!!   I walked or road my bike that distance every day to catch the bus when I was 5th grade and up!!  Parents give the kids no responsibilities that require train of thought.  I'm not talking take out trash, sweep floor...I mean, YOU'RE responsible for catching the bus.  If you don't, guess what happens?  Ass whooping.  You don't skip, you go.  It really is baffling.  I see high/middle school age kids walk up and down our neighborhood on occasion to share a cigarette.  That's the only time I see them.  They don't work in the yard, they don't mow, they don't do anything.  There are a couple respectable families where the kids play ball, help out, are outside, but they also hunt/fish/etc.  They're good country folks.  I plan to raise my children the same way I was raised.  Lord knows, I'll surely be one of the few.

As far as dirtbike shows...I had no idea they ever existed (except Bubba's world...which is crashing...pun intended).  This is what I grew up with....

dirtbike runaway.jpg

Ahh is this the conversation or moment when I realize i'm "old" ?! I'm only 29! Yet I relate to everything you just said... ughh. The bus stop thing drives me nuts. Almost every fcking kid has their own bus stop and they're sitting in a running car...wtf is the point of the parent sitting there waiting for a bus... just drive the kid to school at that point! So the damn bus has to stop every 50ft to pick up another kid, the kid is waiting in a car instead of the sidewalk so it takes them forever to get on the bus and find a seat. My bus stop was for the whole neighborhood, there was 15 of us and all of our parents dropped us and went to work. Dress for the weather kid or today is going to suck. Damnit, now I feel like I should go vote and play bingo

I blame women!

Haha agreed I rode my bike too far to walk. I rode that thing an hour to hit some bmx trails then id ride it back. Obviously I've been driving a while but there's no way I'm going to let my kids play games all day and sit on there ass. I'm gonna make them ride their bicycles everywhere and play outside. But yah moto inside the outdoors is a great show. Too bad it's sorta outdated. Anybody ever watched the great outdoors? Not the camping movie but the motocross movie? Pretty badass I have tgo another perfect season on DVD. Troy admitis made some sweet movies. I'm actually in that one haha but I was 8 years old I belive and im.on my dad's shoulder at kenworthys mx. They have some on youtube full movies you guys should check them out!

Society in itself is in a bad downward spiral.  I'm 29 and the changes I've seen since my childhood are frightening.  I grew up doing everything. I played video games because that's just something that's natural for kids to be interested in, I'd argue that there's some creative balance there.  I mean what's not cool about old school battletoads, mario, mortal kombat, and street fighter.  I used dial-up internet to pirate music even as early as middle school when my parents had no idea how to do anything but MS word.  Those things kept me aware of the advances in technology, brought about my computer literacy, and made it easier for school down the road.  I did my own research online, did my own reports.  I also did EVERYTHING outside...skate, baseball, basketball, dirtbikes, bicycles.  I mean I'd ride my bicycle from one side of town to the other in my late elementary years, it was literally my form of transportation!!!  Why not?  My parents sure as hell weren't going to carry me everywhere I wanted to go.

Now I'm almost 30, I have my own house, and I live within 3-4 miles of about 4 schools (all ages).  I literally see parents pull out of their subdivision RIGHT NEXT TO SCHOOL, and WAIT IN LINE for 30 mins INSIDE THE CAR, to drop their kids off.  YOU LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCHOOL!!!   I walked or road my bike that distance every day to catch the bus when I was 5th grade and up!!  Parents give the kids no responsibilities that require train of thought.  I'm not talking take out trash, sweep floor...I mean, YOU'RE responsible for catching the bus.  If you don't, guess what happens?  Ass whooping.  You don't skip, you go.  It really is baffling.  I see high/middle school age kids walk up and down our neighborhood on occasion to share a cigarette.  That's the only time I see them.  They don't work in the yard, they don't mow, they don't do anything.  There are a couple respectable families where the kids play ball, help out, are outside, but they also hunt/fish/etc.  They're good country folks.  I plan to raise my children the same way I was raised.  Lord knows, I'll surely be one of the few.

As far as dirtbike shows...I had no idea they ever existed (except Bubba's world...which is crashing...pun intended).  This is what I grew up with....

attachicon.gifdirtbike runaway.jpg

You may be 29, but your attitudes and opinions make you seem much older....and I DO mean that as a huge compliment.

As for me, I went to school just before bussing.  For K thru 12, I walked EVERY day to school.  In fact, from K thru 6, there was no  school lunch.  We walked home for lunch so did that trip 4 times a day. You could say I spent a lot of time outdoors!  And this was in the city.  Country kids got bus rides.   Doing outdoor things was natural.  My buddy and I went EVERYWHERE on our bicycles.  I tried to instill that with my 2 girls but I think it's harder with girls.  In the middle of summer, I remember telling them "GO OUTSIDE!  Just do ANYTHING outside." 

As for the downturn in dirt biking, I think there are 2 big things involved.   First, having some place to ride that's reasonably close to home.  I would never have started if I had to truck my bike 2 hours to some offroad area. (I didn't have a truck when I started!) All the places we used to ride close to home are now parks that no one uses with paved walking trails or housing developments.

Next, bike prices AND reliability MUST be partly to blame.  You gotta mow a LOT of lawns for a $9K bike. OR buy a tired old 4T for $2K and us dumb kids would have blown it up in no time.

You may be 29, but your attitudes and opinions make you seem much older....and I DO mean that as a huge compliment.

As for me, I went to school just before bussing.  For K thru 12, I walked EVERY day to school.  In fact, from K thru 6, there was no  school lunch.  We walked home for lunch so did that trip 4 times a day. You could say I spent a lot of time outdoors!  And this was in the city.  Country kids got bus rides.   Doing outdoor things was natural.  My buddy and I went EVERYWHERE on our bicycles.  I tried to instill that with my 2 girls but I think it's harder with girls.  In the middle of summer, I remember telling them "GO OUTSIDE!  Just do ANYTHING outside." 

As for the downturn in dirt biking, I think there are 2 big things involved.   First, having some place to ride that's reasonably close to home.  I would never have started if I had to truck my bike 2 hours to some offroad area. (I didn't have a truck when I started!) All the places we used to ride close to home are now parks that no one uses with paved walking trails or housing developments.

Next, bike prices AND reliability MUST be partly to blame.  You gotta mow a LOT of lawns for a $9K bike. OR buy a tired old 4T for $2K and us dumb kids would have blown it up in no time.

Compliment taken.  I was always taught that your maturity and humility would outweigh most other traits in the eyes of those who mattered most.  Blessed with some amount of intelligence and that which we didn't have, we made up for with hard work (both physical and mental).

I'd second the "death of the sport" thing is largely due to riding areas and prices.  I was lucky to have trails by my house, I never went ANYWHERE else to ride when I was a kid.  I really didn't need to, nor did I have a way.  Kids nowadays would heave if they were given a 90's XR250 and trails to ride on.  Whats cool about that?  Although the offroad scene has taken off, I think the new moto machines are glorified even more than they ever were.  When we were growing up, we were happy to have SOMETHING to ride.  Prices for new bikes are so high that even making a GOOD wage, I'd never buy one....and I live this stuff.  Much rather search for a used bike that's been reasonably maintained and go from there.  Depreciation kills everything new in my eyes.  Take anything off the showroom floor and loose 20-30%....no thanks.  Yea it sucks in a sense.  I'd love to have my kids be able to ride and enjoy the outdoors as I did, but it'll take much more effort from our end as parents to ensure that.  I'm willing to make the corresponding sacrifices, but most people aren't.  This generation doesn't realize there's just as much to be learned "out there" as there is "in here"; even though those jobs you all want will likely put in you a desk somewhere for 8hrs.  Having those skills you learned "out there", will still resonate through your attitude towards life and your persona.  Invaluable IMO

Compliment taken.  I was always taught that your maturity and humility would outweigh most other traits in the eyes of those who mattered most.  Blessed with some amount of intelligence and that which we didn't have, we made up for with hard work (both physical and mental).

I'd second the "death of the sport" thing is largely due to riding areas and prices.  I was lucky to have trails by my house, I never went ANYWHERE else to ride when I was a kid.  I really didn't need to, nor did I have a way.  Kids nowadays would heave if they were given a 90's XR250 and trails to ride on.  Whats cool about that?  Although the offroad scene has taken off, I think the new moto machines are glorified even more than they ever were.  When we were growing up, we were happy to have SOMETHING to ride.  Prices for new bikes are so high that even making a GOOD wage, I'd never buy one....and I live this stuff.  Much rather search for a used bike that's been reasonably maintained and go from there.  Depreciation kills everything new in my eyes.  Take anything off the showroom floor and loose 20-30%....no thanks.  Yea it sucks in a sense.  I'd love to have my kids be able to ride and enjoy the outdoors as I did, but it'll take much more effort from our end as parents to ensure that.  I'm willing to make the corresponding sacrifices, but most people aren't.  This generation doesn't realize there's just as much to be learned "out there" as there is "in here"; even though those jobs you all want will likely put in you a desk somewhere for 8hrs.  Having those skills you learned "out there", will still resonate through your attitude towards life and your persona.  Invaluable IMO

It made me laugh when you said "we were happy to have SOMETHING to ride".  I'd be embarrassed to tell you some of the things I was riding while heading off into the woods!  I'm having trouble with it and I'm reluctant to believe that those days are gone forever and never to return for anyone.  A sad state of affairs!

That's how important those times were for me and my buds.