Pre 98 1 gear

Hi guys,

I'm after all the bits to make my 2001 kx 250 1st gear less hard on the clutch in the tech stuff.

Hi guys,

I'm after all the bits to make my 2001 kx 250 1st gear less hard on the clutch in the tech stuff.

All you need is the 94-98 input shaft and the matching 1st gear for the output shaft. I usually get them off ebay but you can just buy those 2 parts new if you want.

Hi Clyde thanks, yes I've had a look and there is nothing about at the moment. There is one set on eBay but the seller has advertised the primary gear wrongly...

All you need is the 94-98 input shaft and the matching 1st gear for the output shaft. I usually get them off ebay but you can just buy those 2 parts new if you want.

Hi Ed after reading up on your threads I found a kdx gearbox I'm going to fit in my kx. Does this look like what I need? Thankyou

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460538938.670167.jpg

Or this? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460547250.582605.jpg

Hi Ed after reading up on your threads I found a kdx gearbox I'm going to fit in my kx. Does this look like what I need? Thankyou

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460538938.670167.jpg

That one will work also.

Ed

I haven't done the math yet, but I think that a lower 1st from a 95-98 PLUS a clutch basket gear and primary gear from an 02-up kx250 would be a ton lower than just the old 1st gear. I'm thinking of going that route on my 2000 and maybe adding 5th gear from an 03 since it's overdriven. I just need a very low 1st, and the overdriven 5th would be useful for the times I have to use the highway to connect my trails

Can anyone tell me how many teeth the first gear has in the kdx box? I've managed to pick up a kdx 250 gear box and the first gear has 13 teeth. Just want to check its the right one because it comes from the kdx 250 model that was non registerable in Australia.

Edited by Nate250kx

Can anyone tell me how many teeth the first gear has in the kdx box? I've managed to pick up a kdx 250 gear box and the first gear has 13 teeth. Just want to check its the right one because it comes from the kdx 250 model that was non registerable in Australia.

Use the whole transmission. You'll get six speeds out of it.

Use the whole transmission. You'll get six speeds out of it.

Aren't they a 5 speed?

Aren't they a 5 speed?

KDX 250's are 6-speed.

13-31 is the first gear in the KDX transmission. My thread on the change has all the gears listed.

Ed