2001 CR250R due for crank seals

My 01' CR250R is finally due for crank seals.    The parts needed for project are two seals,  water pump seal and gasket,  primary side gasket.  Just wanted some tips on doing the job and if there is any other parts I did not list.

You can probably reuse the right side gasket and water pump gasket as long as the last person who installed them didnt over torque the bolts.

Don't remove the water pump cover, just remove the ride side cover with the water pump cover still stuck on, that way you can reuse the water pump gasket for sure.

In addition to the oil seals, you might need a new clutch lock washer and right side oil seal sleeve. a lot of people reuse the washer, but if its been reused and more than a couple times you should replace it because the flaps that you bend over get worn. a worn oil seal sleeve will ruin a new oil seal, or at least that's what i read.

as far as tools, you will need a small ruler to measure the distance you will need to push the oil seals in (1mm on the right, 2mm on the left). i would advise you to practice reinstalling the old oil seals because you only get one shot with the new ones. if you push them in too far you can't remove them without ruining them (or splitting the case). to reach the left side oil seal, you will need a flywheel pull to remove the flywheel.

you will also need a piston stopper (or rope), and a clutch basket holder (or impact gun).

i replaced both my seals a few weeks ago and took detailed step-by-step photos with the intention to make a tutorial, but most of the photos were corrupted as i unloaded them onto the computer  :facepalm:

---

edit: i forgot to mention flyweel pull

Edited by md30

I bought a gasket kit which has every gasket for my 2003 cr250r for about $35 on eBay. Go ahead and buy it before you bust your engine apart. Better to have everything you need rather than waiting until your engine is in pieces.

No play in original bearings and going to pull the seals out.vlQcEL0.jpgUxTAnmN.jpg

I have an 06 250r and need to change the Right seal. So you do not have to remove the water pump? Do you have to drain the coolant?

I think I might have to replace the seals on my 2001 CR 125. Does anyone have any tricks for getting the seals out when the crankshaft is still in. I have only seen it done when the cases are split and the crankshaft is out.

I used 2 wood screws to remove the old seals. Screw them in 180 degrees apart from each other, just far enough to get a good grip on the old seal, being careful not hit the bearing.

I used 2 wood screws to remove the old seals. Screw them in 180 degrees apart from each other, just far enough to get a good grip on the old seal, being careful not hit the bearing.

Thanks for the idea!

don't push the seals in too far, seals should be flush with the outside of the seal housing

Edited by mxsteve1968

Right 

don't push the seals in too far, seals should be flush with the outside of the seal housing

I dont know about the 125, but the 250 seals should be pushed in 1mm on the right side, and 2mm on the left according to the owner's manual. not sure why.

Use the wood screw idea. Or seal puller is what I use. And MAKE SURE THE PRIMARY DRIVE GEAR COLLAR doesn't have a grove wore on it. If it does your wasting your time.

A tip for using the wood screw method: I put in two wood screws when i was doing this (one on each end) and then tried pulling them out with pliers. those suckers were in so tight, they wouldn't budge. so i pried it out with the claw side of a hammer. came right out. make sure the hammer is resting against the motorcycle frame, and not the engine.

IMG_20160212_155937_zpsgxqgtvix.jpg

I have my own question: when i replaced my seals i thought my spewing oil problem had been solved, but the last couple rides it seems to have returned and in a big way. i wonder if my collar was bad. can you tell from these photos? i dont remember feeling any grooves while inspecting them. just seems to have those lines. could it be a bad seal? i used tusk seals. 

IMG_20160212_160707_zpsygklvy2e.jpg

IMG_20160212_160659_zpsocof5q45.jpg

Run your finger nail across it. Can you feel a grove? I've heard you can just drive the seals a tad bit farther or a bit back and then the seal wont be in the same grove.

How did you drive the flywheel side seal in when the crankshaft sticks out so far?

That appears to be more visual than physical but like stated above, see how it feels against a finger nail. Is your spooge worse now or the same? If worse than possibly the seal rolled during installation?

I remember not feeling any groove with my finger nail. At first it seemed not to be spooging nearly as much, but on Sunday it was really coming out.

I put the flywheel side in the same as the right side, lightly tapped a piece of wood against the seal with a hammer, then I think I used my thumbs to push it in a couple millimeters.

1461068810226.jpg

I remember not feeling any groove with my finger nail. At first it seemed not to be spooging nearly as much, but on Sunday it was really coming out.

I put the flywheel side in the same as the right side, lightly tapped a piece of wood against the seal with a hammer, then I think I used my thumbs to push it in a couple millimeters.

It looks like grease around the seal? If you don't put lock tight around the seal before you put it in, there is a good chance that it will get shoved out a bit creating a leak. If you used your thumbs to push it in, it must have been pretty loose. When I've put seals in before it took a lot of force to drive them in.

Another thing you could do is compare the old seals numbers with the new ones and se if they match.

I read several write ups on changing oil seals before performing them, all said grease em up. never heard of using a thread locker. the left side oil seal could be pressed in with my thumbs, the right side needed to be tapped in

I read several write ups on changing oil seals before performing them, all said grease em up. never heard of using a thread locker. the left side oil seal could be pressed in with my thumbs, the right side needed to be tapped in

I think that is your problem. Please send me the links to the articles that say that. Fist of all I only would put two stroke OIL in a two stroke. The grease could never burn and just clog ports and foul plugs. My CR has a leaking crank seal. I got an experienced mechanic to look at it, and he noticed that the seal was popped out on the one side a bit. This shouldn't have happened to mine since my bottom end only has 10 hours on it. Of course that shouldn't have happened after 10 hours. He thought that the person who put those seals in didn't put thread lock on them making it easy to come out. If you think about it, if you were able to push them it with your thumbs, they are going to come right back out. However you are suppose to oil the INSIDE of the seal.