Early season Colorado front range

Hi. Moved to Longmont a few years ago. Been riding several years but this is the first year I'm gonna ride up here. Going to Moab the last weekend in April and wanna get in some warm up rides before then. Only places I've heard of are in the mountains and have snow on them. Any recommendations for trail riding between now and my trip?

Thanks.

Any recommendations for trail riding between now and my trip?

Most "trails" in CO are pretty well covered up most of the winter.  Penrose and TC might be an option but a good haul from Longmont.  If you just want some seat time closer to your area maybe check out Pawnee ( https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1066676-pawnee-grasslands-anybody-go/ ) or IMI in Erie/Dacono area.  A little farther SW of Erie is Jewell MX out in Watkins.  Both IMI and Jewell have a few "tracks" to choose from plus additional "open" riding areas out back.

There's also Fountain Creek just south of COS that's a little more "trail" like... but still not really true CO trails.  Good luck!

:ride:

Most "trails" in CO are pretty well covered up most of the winter.  Penrose and TC might be an option but a good haul from Longmont.  If you just want some seat time closer to your area maybe check out Pawnee ( https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1066676-pawnee-grasslands-anybody-go/ ) or IMI in Erie/Dacono area.  A little farther SW of Erie is Jewell MX out in Watkins.  Both IMI and Jewell have a few "tracks" to choose from plus additional "open" riding areas out back.

There's also Fountain Creek just south of COS that's a little more "trail" like... but still not really true CO trails.  Good luck!

:ride:

How would one get to Fountain Creek? I can't find much info on it. Sounds like a good place to mess around for a bit and get comfortable on a bike, relatively close to Denver.

How would one get to Fountain Creek? I can't find much info on it. Sounds like a good place to mess around for a bit and get comfortable on a bike, relatively close to Denver.

It's directly across I-25 from PPIR (Pikes Peak Intl Raceway)... the paved track and stadium just south of Fountain, CO a few miles.  I don't have the exact direction into it handy but it's on the east side of I-25 back inthe trees near the river on private land.  $10 per rider per day.  Maybe someone else can explain the details of getting in.. or you can do a search as it's been covered here many times.  Good luck!

It's directly across I-25 from PPIR (Pikes Peak Intl Raceway)... the paved track and stadium just south of Fountain, CO a few miles.  I don't have the exact direction into it handy but it's on the east side of I-25 back inthe trees near the river on private land.  $10 per rider per day.  Maybe someone else can explain the details of getting in.. or you can do a search as it's been covered here many times.  Good luck!

Thank you very much! I didn't realize it was private. This helps a bunch. Any idea if they are open, or how to find contact information? Thanks again. BTW, I did a search and am not coming up with much... but it sounds like it's somehow connected with PPIR? Or maybe PPIR has a separate dirt bike area?

Edited by iminspaaace

If you're going to drive south, don't waste your time with Penrose, go to Texas Creek.

Sometimes Penrose is ride-able when TC is not... just sayin...

Thank you very much! I didn't realize it was private. This helps a bunch. Any idea if they are open, or how to find contact information? Thanks again. BTW, I did a search and am not coming up with much... but it sounds like it's somehow connected with PPIR? Or maybe PPIR has a separate dirt bike area?

Yes, most used to call it PPIR but I'm pretty sure the semi-official name of the area is something like Fountain Creek MX.  Maybe.  Heh... anyway, and from a previous post:

Fountain/PPIR directly across (East) of the PPIR track.  Difficult to find as you exit off to the West side of I-25.  Cross over to the East side and go around a big sweeping turn.  You'll make the second right (?  haven't paid attention in a while) and go onto what appears to be a gentlemans ranchette.  Just keep driving past the houses and barn a few 10ths of a mile and you'll see a fence/hut.  Stop there and sign in, pay your fee and play.  Note, the trail is marked directionally once you leave the fenced parking area- although you can play around in the bowl area omnidirctionally.

I think it's always open.  You can post up here to solicit for conditions and info.  Unsure if there is an actual number to call.  May give it a week of warmer weather to dry out.  Unless someone else has been there first hand lately?? 

Agreed Jax.. I was at Texas Creek about 3 weeks ago and everything was fine besides a couple corners of pure ice.. i was referring to how rocky, bumpy and not really dirt bike style fun that Penrose is. We have definitely rode a couple times though and if you are really jonesing to ride, I guess it's okay.