Possible 2008 KTM 690 SMC

Hey guys, just got a call for a possible deal on one of these bikes.  I was originally going to buy a WR to convert to SM but due to distances that I may be going up coastal roads etc I get the feeling the 690 may be a better fit.  I was curious as to reliability of these bikes?  The closest dealer is 5 hours away but can overnight parts fairly easy, but there is a Yami dealer here in town.  

The bike is immaculate according to the pictures and already has a full exhaust installed, and will be cheaper in the long run due to not having to buy SM wheels/tires/chain/sprockets/signals etc to SM the '14 WR I was looking at, and no fooling around plate wise.  

12894510_10153515201067951_1729809029_o.jpg

12887295_10153515201162951_1614018546_o.jpg

12722607_10153515201142951_640446339_o.jpg

Looks very clean.  Do a search over at advrider.com  Lots of information on the 690 there, focused primarily on the Enduro but relevant to both bikes.  Also a fantastic (but long) thread on the guy who rode a 690 around the world.

The biggest issue is probably the rocker arms, but easy to check and replace. I believe they updated them around 2012/2013 and they are backwards compatible.

Seems the rocker arm issue is true, but not a deal breaker since there is an update and easy to fix.  Some seem to have some FI issues and one guy seemed to have a nightmare on KTMtalk but you'd be hard pressed to not find a lemon in any mass produced vehicle ever.  

Forums are hard to gauge sometimes for positive info as most people who post are having issues, the others are out enjoying their ride!  I may just go for it and see what happens, I sense because of the highway travelling here I will be happier with the 690 over the WR. 

I got a lemon or junker. 2016 690. 460 miles and wish i had my drz back. I would get a wr.

Surely something must be wrong, or the bike has to be opened up?

I imagine it would be leaps and bounds over a DRZ unless you're only looking for reliability and high mileage.

I think a enduro convert would be better suited for a city, I however do not live in a city.

Hey guys, just got a call for a possible deal on one of these bikes.  I was originally going to buy a WR to convert to SM but due to distances that I may be going up coastal roads etc I get the feeling the 690 may be a better fit.  I was curious as to reliability of these bikes?  The closest dealer is 5 hours away but can overnight parts fairly easy, but there is a Yami dealer here in town.  

The bike is immaculate according to the pictures and already has a full exhaust installed, and will be cheaper in the long run due to not having to buy SM wheels/tires/chain/sprockets/signals etc to SM the '14 WR I was looking at, and no fooling around plate wise.  

attachicon.gif12894510_10153515201067951_1729809029_o.jpg

attachicon.gif12887295_10153515201162951_1614018546_o.jpg

attachicon.gif12722607_10153515201142951_640446339_o.jpg

I just drove 2200km through some crazy storms to buy a mint 2010 690 SMC a couple of weeks ago. You will not regret this purchase over a WR. The power is incredible. I've had a DRZ400SM and a plated CRF450R and this bike is a beast. Buy it immediately.

Valve inspect/adjust at 5000km. For longevity guys are putting in MCCTs from RallyRaid, and buying new rocker arms as these wear and should be considered a consumable part. From my readings I believe that the MCCT may increase lifespan of the rocker arms, as the stock version is hydraulic and seems to loosen at lower rpm as there is a bearing on the rocker arms that seems to need a bit more oil. The only other thing that may come up is a speedo issue where the display kind of breaks down due to the bike's vibrations. The fit and finish on the SMC is top notch, well thought out, and it was pretty easy to tear down for a valve inspection last weekend. As its first gen FI, there are some minor issues, but there is free tuning software: TUNE ECU that you just need to buy a cord for so you can dial in the FI to perfection. Seems like the guys that don't do frequent maintenance on their SMCs have issues but if you keep it fed oil and do proper maintenance on them they will last just like any other bike. 

I just drove 2200km through some crazy storms to buy a mint 2010 690 SMC a couple of weeks ago. You will not regret this purchase over a WR. The power is incredible. I've had a DRZ400SM and a plated CRF450R and this bike is a beast. Buy it immediately.

Valve inspect/adjust at 5000km. For longevity guys are putting in MCCTs from RallyRaid, and buying new rocker arms as these wear and should be considered a consumable part. From my readings I believe that the MCCT may increase lifespan of the rocker arms, as the stock version is hydraulic and seems to loosen at lower rpm as there is a bearing on the rocker arms that seems to need a bit more oil. The only other thing that may come up is a speedo issue where the display kind of breaks down due to the bike's vibrations. The fit and finish on the SMC is top notch, well thought out, and it was pretty easy to tear down for a valve inspection last weekend. As its first gen FI, there are some minor issues, but there is free tuning software: TUNE ECU that you just need to buy a cord for so you can dial in the FI to perfection. Seems like the guys that don't do frequent maintenance on their SMCs have issues but if you keep it fed oil and do proper maintenance on them they will last just like any other bike. 

He has said programs and wire for the bike and has apparently kept close track of it all. I believe him just from the condition of the bike, obviously he has cared about it since new despite low kms. 

Any links on the other parts you suggested buying or how to do the valve inspect/adjust on these bikes?  I want to do everything I can to make it last a long time, as I sense this is the bike I will be buying in a week or two and the less trouble with it long term the better as the closest dealer is 5 hours away.  

On a side note which oil is good with these bikes? I run AMSOIl in pretty well everything I own besides my truck.  What km or hr range is good to do oil changes with them?  Thanks for the info and added confidence in buying this bike!

He has said programs and wire for the bike and has apparently kept close track of it all. I believe him just from the condition of the bike, obviously he has cared about it since new despite low kms. 

Any links on the other parts you suggested buying or how to do the valve inspect/adjust on these bikes?  I want to do everything I can to make it last a long time, as I sense this is the bike I will be buying in a week or two and the less trouble with it long term the better as the closest dealer is 5 hours away.  

On a side note which oil is good with these bikes? I run AMSOIl in pretty well everything I own besides my truck.  What km or hr range is good to do oil changes with them?  Thanks for the info and added confidence in buying this bike!

Rocker arms from your local KTM dealer - there was a redesign in 2012-13 for the rocker arms and the parts retrofit into the 08-10 SMC, and the new part number supersedes the previous part number. just make sure that the rod that they're going on is oriented correctly as there is a small oil gallery that needs to be properly positioned as the gallery transmits oil to the rocker arm bearings.

RallyRaid is a UK website. There are some youtube videos on how to check valves, pretty straight forward but you have to take the air box off to access the cover its 4 bolts, a connector and two hoses and a hose clamp, oh and a voltage regulator thats in the way. sounds worse than it is. Don't forget to put the spark plug back in prior to reinstalling the air box. I learned the hard way and didn't want to risk cross threading the spark plug as the trellis frame is kind of right there. i'm still researching but I'm wondering if i get the evo2 kit if it will make valve checks faster as I might be able to keep the air filter in place.

there is some good info here that you should probably read:

http://www.welikebikes.be/KTM690Wiki/index.php?title=690_Hall_of_Wisdom

As for oil, MOtorex Cross Power 10/60 champagne is the primary recommended oil for the bike from KTM. They claim that it will also run 10/50 but personally I think I'm only going to run the 10/60 as again, I think since its a little more liquid it might get up around those rocker arm bearings better than the 10/50 would. But that's just my opinion. Its ridiculously expensive oil but I'm buying piece of mind. Saw a CRF450R blow up on $5 oil. not worth it.

Surely something must be wrong, or the bike has to be opened up?

I imagine it would be leaps and bounds over a DRZ unless you're only looking for reliability and high mileage.

I think a enduro convert would be better suited for a city, I however do not live in a city.

I would like a little better reliability than 460 miles. And some of the problems where out of the crate. Power is awesome. Buy power is not everything. So of my problems could be bad dealer set up. I dont how they come out of the crate. I just hope ktms wattanty is better than the bike.

Is there an air filter that is common to replace stock?

I forgot to update this thread but the bike is mine! I'll post some more pictures and info later when I am on computer.