XR'S only 103mm 10.0:1 piston

Anyone using one , happy with it ?

my NX650 needs reboring so been looking at piston options and like the sound of this one,

few extra cc's

cr not too high but high enough to pep it up a bit i would think,

is 10:1 accurate i know there has been issues with claimed and actual cr with pistons in the past

running a stock cam and an fcrmx with Dotcoms jetting and homemade silencer and think this piston should compliment this set up well,

any thoughts ?

I have one in my XR650l. OE cam, Daves Mods, XR600 muffler with the core removed. I love it

I built my buddys XRL engine with one. FCR-Slant carb, full XR's Only exhaust. He's happy as can be.

I have one in my XR650l. OE cam, Daves Mods, XR600 muffler with the core removed. I love it

I built my buddys XRL engine with one. FCR-Slant carb, full XR's Only exhaust. He's happy as can be.

Thanks   :thumbsup: , sounds like a good choice then

did you opt for the ceramic coating extra $35 ?

do you think its worth the extra ?

I've read nothing but good things about ceramic coated pistons. I'm probably going to opt for it.

Theirs is a thermal coating on the crown and I feel that the benefits others talk about are worth it.

Just note that the displacement they list is incorrect. 103mm bore gives 683cc not 671. The extra ccs do have bearing on compression ratio. As I recall these pistons have a very low compression height, lower than that of a stock L piston. The lower height, extra displacement and greater combustion volume should work out to be no more than 10-1. I wouldn't try to bore an early dual carb sleeve that far either. Consider these only for 93 up 650L or 90 up 600R sleeves. 83-87 XL/XR600 sleeves would need a later sleeve installed first. Then an XR600 can use this same piston for 667cc with a decent C.R..

Edited by valvesrule

I got mine before they offered the coating. I have two 103mm pistons and cylinders ready for builds both coated.

I'm going to have to check the wrist pin to crown measurement.

BTW... The 83 to 87 XL600 is a 100mm bore stock so it can go to the 103mm without re-sleeving. Not so with the XR600.

I had a 102.4 piston in my XL600 back in the day. I have a 102 piston in my 92 XR600 but it has a bigger sleeve.

thanks guys lots of useful and interesting info there

Anyone have any input on this?  I've been through four failed attempts at ordering a 103.4mm Wiseco piston for my 86 XL600.  Same thing every time; I place the order and three days to a week later they cancel the order and refund the money.  While I'm glad the get the money back and not have to go break kneecaps, I want the &^%&ing piston.  I know there are shady companies out there, but this is shitty all around.  My build has been at a stall because of these bastards.  W T F ?

Anyone have any input on this?  I've been through four failed attempts at ordering a 103.4mm Wiseco piston for my 86 XL600.  Same thing every time; I place the order and three days to a week later they cancel the order and refund the money.  While I'm glad the get the money back and not have to go break kneecaps, I want the &^%&ing piston.  I know there are shady companies out there, but this is shitty all around.  My build has been at a stall because of these bastards.  W T F ?

Hope i have a better experience than you had,

ordered the 103mm piston a week back , expect it will take a couple of weeks to reach the U.K

Ordering from who? Try ordering direct from Wiseco. If they can't supply the part is out of stock or production. XL parts are getting hard to come by and may not be available any more. The JE #139550 102mm for an XR650L might be a good alternative if you don't have to go all the way out to 102.4mm.It would be lower compression than an XL comp height piston but still plenty there. We still don't have an actual comp height for that particular piston so check with JE for dimensions first. Edited by valvesrule

mcma111, thanks for the lead, but I've been there.  Wiseco is out of stock and I would rather pay the $160-180 others are offering than the $220 from Wiseco plus $18 in shipping.  I'm just pissed because these other sellers are advertising (still) in-stock quantities and then wait a week or more to cancel the order.  I am beginning to think the universe is telling me to avoid Wiseco.

paint it black, who did you order it from?  I may be able to save you some grief?  Or I'll get it from your supplier if they come through.

Nice chart, valvesrule.  I don't have to bore that far out.  I am at the stock 100mm now and to go .25mm over to clean up some slight wear.  So the line of logic was to go as big as possible.  The displacement version of balls-deep.

paint it black, who did you order it from?  I may be able to save you some grief?  Or I'll get it from your supplier if they come through.

think the 103mm 10.0:1 piston that i ordered is only available from xr's only, thats who i ordered from

think the 103mm 10.0:1 piston that i ordered is only available from xr's only, thats who i ordered from

You should be cool.  I've been after a Wiseco 102.4mm.

Bigger is usually better from my experience.  I ran a 102.4 for over 20K miles with no problem.  I was initially worried that I had no safety net as that was as big as was available and no oversize beyond at the time.  It was not a problem as I found out.  I had to replace the piston when I broke a crank and upgraded to an XR crank, but the cylinder and piston that I pulled out were in great shape after 20K.  I have saved it for future use, it will be fine with fresh rings.

So i ordered this piston march 27 ,

didn't receive an order confirmation email, which is something just about everyone else selling online manages ok,

not received any shipping email or anything yet,

emailed xr's only just over a week back(3 weeks after placing order and them taking payment) asking if they could confirm that my order was being dealt with but got no reply,

emailed them again about 5  days back and again no reply,

called them a couple of days back , i'm in the uk so not exactly a local call, the guy said he'd look into it and get back, he hasn't got back yet,

so what do i do next i've heard nothing at all from xr's only since placing my order but they have taken my money,

sure i could get my money back but i want the piston  and its not available anywhere else, 

just for comparison i ordered a bunch of stuff from partzilla on the same day, even with import tax still cheaper than uk prices,

immediately received order confirmation, got shipping info following day and parts arrived in uk in less than 2 weeks from placing order ,

I ordered the 103mm from XRs only as well, I think it was about a week and a half ago and I got two emails.  The first was an order confirmation and the second was a week later "your order is being processed".  I then called them to check up on it and was told that they are waiting on the manufacturer.  JE Pistons makes these for XRs Only and I was told that they ran out at XR's and are in production at JE.  I talked to them on Mon and they said about two weeks.  I am surprised that you didn't get an order confirmation because I assume that to be an automated process. I did find it very difficult to get someone around lunchtime, but reached them later in the afternoon.  They are Pacific time zone, GMT -7.

I hear your frustration, I was beyond that at the end of March and just decided to settle down and wait for it.  It rained buckets today so I console myself that I couldn't have ridden even if the piston came in.  Good luck.

Robert

Thanks Robert,

that explains the delay but not the total lack of communication from XRs only,

it would have been easy enough for them to have replied to my emails to put my mind at rest,

their site still shows the pistons as being in stock but thats obviously not the case,  

like you would have thought the order confirmation was an automated process, which still makes me wonder if they have my order,

did you opt  for the ceramic coating ? i did