Big differences between 2004 and 2005 DRZ400's?

Hey folks, I bought an 05 DRZ400S yesterday with 4100 miles for $2900. The bike looks mint, borderline pristine. But what I really care about is the mileage. As soon as I got home, I searched craigslist just to get a copy of the ad for the bike I just bought. Of course, a new ad showed up for a 2004 DRZ400S with 1100 miles for $2800. I was super bummed and wished I had hesitated when buying the 05 but I didn't. I'm now wondering if it makes sense to buy the 04 and try to sell the 05 as the title is open, it was just signed but not to my name. I want to be able to try this sport out for a couple of years and put maybe 2000 miles on a bike and still have it be a low mileage bike so I don't have trouble selling it. I thought I stole the 05 until I saw the 04 with 1100 miles on it, couldn't believe it. Are there any major advantages to the 05 that would make it worth choosing an 05 with 4100 miles over an 04 with 1100 miles? The 05 has an FMF pipe, K&N filter and fender eliminator kit and looks like it was rarely off-road, if it all. The 04 looks bone stock and have more rub on the motor and frame than the 05 even though it has 1/4 of the miles. Thanks for any input.

Only thing that has ever changed on a drz is the color scheme... That being said if you have the money for it might not be a bad investment to get both bikes and then sell one for a profit...

"Any major advantages to the 05 over the 04." Yes Bold new graghics.  Sorry I couldn't resist.

Actully that 05 sounds like the better deal, the few extra k miles is no biggie.

• Like 1

"Any major advantages to the 05 over the 04." Yes Bold new graghics.  Sorry I couldn't resist.

Actully that 05 sounds like the better deal, the few extra k miles is no biggie.

I couldn't agree more, the 2005 graphics are mush, much, nicer!!! :ride:

Hey OP,  care is FAR more important than 2k miles.

(Maybe this belongs in the 1st World Problems thread.)

• Like 1

Attached is a pic of the 04 and 05. Thanks guys. Seems like an obvious point about care versus miles but everyone is focused on miles when buying. If I end up enjoying the woods enough, I'll probably get a newer DRZ or, honestly, a KTM... so I want to be able to sell it easily. I'm surprised at how the case and frame show no rub. It could be this model more than the condition but I've had other bikes with extensive rub. Here's a pic. If I can man-up, I'm considering getting the 04, pulling all the extras off the 05, moving any plastics, guards and anything else that looks cleaner over to the 04 and then selling the 05 and keeping the 04. I should consider it a "quality problem" to have but I just want to ride and make sure I can resell... Check out the bikes since you guys are likely fans of the drz. Thanks.

The 05 still has Trail Wings. It probably wasn't rode as hard as the 04 with knobby tires was. With trail wings still on it it was probably owned by an older guy that babied it. Although with only 1k miles you really can't go wrong with either one. At this point I would just stick with what you have unless you can really steal the other one.

Attached is a pic of the 04 and 05. Thanks guys. Seems like an obvious point about care versus miles but everyone is focused on miles when buying. If I end up enjoying the woods enough, I'll probably get a newer DRZ or, honestly, a KTM... so I want to be able to sell it easily. I'm surprised at how the case and frame show no rub. It could be this model more than the condition but I've had other bikes with extensive rub. Here's a pic. If I can man-up, I'm considering getting the 04, pulling all the extras off the 05, moving any plastics, guards and anything else that looks cleaner over to the 04 and then selling the 05 and keeping the 04. I should consider it a "quality problem" to have but I just want to ride and make sure I can resell... Check out the bikes since you guys are likely fans of the drz. Thanks.

Edited by bucket list

He just shot me over full size pics of the 04.. The 04 will cost between 2600-2800, sounds like a steal with that mileage. Anything to watch out for in these larger pics? Thanks!

IMG_0964.PNG

IMG_0963.PNG

IMG_0962.PNG