Clutch hub design

I have a wiseco inner clutch hub. The grooves don't extent all the way to the bottom and the gap that is left is filled with rubber bands. Is this an issue? Won't the rubber compress under the force of the pressure plate, allowing for plates to lose contact with the grooves on the inner hub? I've attached pictures. This hub is for a 2006 yz250f.image1.JPGimage1.JPGIMG_2442.JPG

A friction plate is the first one down on the clutch hub, and the frictions tab into the basket, not the boss (hub).  The first steel plate won't move far enough down the boss to become disengaged from the splines because of the first friction plate.

A friction plate is the first one down on the clutch hub, and the frictions tab into the basket, not the boss (hub).  The first steel plate won't move far enough down the boss to become disengaged from the splines because of the first friction plate.

That makes sense. I just measured the marks from my old basket and they don't come close to the bottom of the hub. That being said, how come they take the extra time to machine that out? I feel like they'd be spending more money to do so? I know it could save some weight but its such a small amount of material. What about the integrity of the splines on the hub? wouldn't they be stronger if they were attached to the bottom?