Cr250 front sprocket loose

The front sprocket on my cr250 has play in it even with the bolt torqued down, maybe im missing a spacer or washer?

Is it a stock sprocket? some countershaft sprockets have a little axial play.

Is it a stock sprocket? some countershaft sprockets have a little axial play.

i believe so, just rebuilt the engine and noticed the play it had, its a 13 tooth, pretty worn out. What would you recommend as a replacement?

i believe so, just rebuilt the engine and noticed the play it had, its a 13 tooth, pretty worn out. What would you recommend as a replacement?

I just went out into my garage and checked my 89 and 85 250s they have no play, my set up is sprocket, washer, and bolt. torqued to spec.

Thanks for the feedback, i read on another forum that the tapered shape of the washer can flatten out causing the sprocket to have play in it. I may just need a new tapered washer

• Like 1

I noticed something in between your washer and sprocket, there should be nothing inbetween, is your washer facing correctly? flip it and see how that works.

I've flipped it around and it had even more slack. I assembled it the way the book said to.

I had an 88 kx-125, all that secured the front sprocket was a clip on the shaft, my 80's cr bikes are solid and don't move, the kx moved a little, your bike is much newer, so they might have changed the specs. But in all honesty, that set up looks like my bikes, so it should just bolt on with no troubles.

Check the wear/to make sure you have the spacer and washer shown as part 3 and 20 respectively in the linked microfiche.  Those parts could also be worn.  Not sure what year your cr is, but the fiche is for a 2002, you might have a different setup depending on year.  

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e4bff870021c54be215d/transmission

Guessing it is not a new sprocket correct?  

Front sprocket should not have any play in it, if it does your chain will start to wear the sides of the teeth down significantly, you will notice the link shapes on the sides of the teeth, it happens pretty quickly once it gets loose.

Either your washer needs replaced or the splines on the sprocket are worn and the sprocket needs replaced or worst case scenario the splines on the counter shaft are getting worn and the counter shaft needs replaced.  IME it is typically the sprocket splines.  Just buy a new front sprocket and slap it on there and it will probably be tight like a tiger.

My yz250 front sprockets get loose after a while from the sprocket splines wearing, I started putting red Loctite on the splines when I put a new sprocket on, it is a little tougher getting it back off but I feel I get a little more life out of them.  I think it is not uncommon for the drz400 guys do something similar