19" vs 18" wheel

So after finding out my wheel bearings are seized, I am seriously on the edge of getting a set of tusk impact wheels (anyone own them?). I ride MX and singletrack. As of lately I've been riding singletrack the most but up until now it was mostly mx. I may end up veering away from mx or I may get the bug again, I don't really know.

Anyways I was just wondering what would be the best all around wheel size. Do you lose a lot going to a 18" and vice versa?

Finally, would riding this weekend with my bad bearings likely cause any damage to my hub? There is no wheel play.

Edited by problem_child

You will find a better selection of off road tires in 18".  The 18" tire will generally end up the same height as the 19" but have more flex due to a taller sidewall.  That's why they are better off-road.  Your handling will not be as precise, but most guys don't even notice that.

• Like 5

Finally, would riding this weekend with my bad bearings likely cause any damage to my hub? There is no wheel play.

Yes.  When they break loose the little balls will go all over the place inside your hub and probably explode it.

If your bearing is actually seized you should not ride the bike, but keep in mind replacing them probably will only cost you $50 at a shop or $30 if you can do it.

Depending on bearing size they may be as cheap as $3 each at a bearing shop, buy the sealed style.

If the hub has been pounded and the bearings fit loose the bearing shops also have repair compounds.

This probably obvious, but no one has mentioned it, so I will.  The 18" tire will be significantly heavier than the 19".  There's just more rubber there.  This is unsprung weight, rotating mass.

I agree, and a 19" rim is heavier than a 18".

I have the weights of 25 new rear knobby tires and the average of the 18" tires is 11oz heavier than the average of the 19" tires.

Within each size there is a range of 2 1/4lbs between the lightest and heaviest, so difficult to find the sweet spot for weight and performance in either size.

This probably obvious, but no one has mentioned it, so I will.  The 18" tire will be significantly heavier than the 19".  There's just more rubber there.  This is unsprung weight, rotating mass.

Just as long as its a 250 or bigger that most likely won't be a problem.