Valves 2004 s model.

So I got a 2004 s model, bought it not running blah blah. Cleaned carb got it running. Got a chance to check valves today. One intake was out of spec. One is is spec but on the low end. And same for the exhuast. The computer says 1200. Yes one thousand 200 miles. But the speedo cable is broke. Is it normal for them to all start getting tight at once? And I don't know how long I'm keeping it. Questions are as followed

1) Is it worth buying the shim kit? Or buy the individual shims needed.

2) should slap new valves in it?

3) how often do they need to be shimmed?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Change shims to bring them into spec.. I like low end of spec..

re check next oil change.

Probably not worth the shim kit, unless u plan on keeping for life.

Bought my' 04 S used late 2004 with about 1100 miles on it and one intake was slightly u/s

Shim to spec and monitor the clearances for a while , make sure there is no continuous movement .

Is the right intake valve out of spec ?

Yes

Shim kit is what $60? And you'll have all the shims you would need. I ordered the kit as it was nicer to have all the possible options on hand just in case.

Lower end of the tolerance does offer slightly more performance as it will offer slightly more lift, and duration, but this effect is minimal. Going on the looser end will mean it will be longer before you have to adjust them again.

As the head wears the valves will close up the clearance, as they will recede in the head. Since you don't know when they were last checked, they may have just been tight from the factory. Adjust and check again at your next oil change, and see where they are. You'll probably find everything is fine once adjusted.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone will chime in. So valves are back in spec. Stator checks out. Kickstand and clutch switch bypassed. Bike will only start with a push start. I got it to start ONE time with the starter. But the rest of my attempts failed.

So I got a 2004 s model, bought it not running blah blah. Cleaned carb got it running. Got a chance to check valves today. One intake was out of spec. One is is spec but on the low end. And same for the exhuast. The computer says 1200. Yes one thousand 200 miles. But the speedo cable is broke. Is it normal for them to all start getting tight at once? And I don't know how long I'm keeping it. Questions are as followed

1) Is it worth buying the shim kit? Or buy the individual shims needed.

2) should slap new valves in it?

3) how often do they need to be shimmed?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Buy the whole kit.  Shouldn't need new valves.  Don't need shimmed very often, but wouldn't hurt to check.

I have a complete kit.

Never have to reshim my valve except when I replace them and regrind the seat in my rebuild at 25K miles.

I have valves back in spec. Now Bike runs and rides. It will only pop start. Fresh battery. Cleaned carb. Trying to wrap my head around what it could be.

Stator checks out and ignition cool.

Does it sound like the starter is spinning it over fast enough ? Usually hard starting and takes pull starting to get running is a sign the valves are tight , or low compression .

Edited by jjktmrider