Helmet and goggles or dual sport Helmet

What do you rock riding your DRZ ? MX helmet and goggles or a visored dual sport helmet ? Looking for something in that $1-200 range .

Dress for the ride. I use a full face for street rides and MX with goggles for any dirt rides. Just my $.02☺

I daily ride my sm's with MX and goggles for street w/GoPro hero 3 mounted on the lower right side jaw area. I've always rode dirt with dirt helmets, and a dirtbike with slicks I still prefer the mx styling over anything else.

I've had no issues with wind, maybe if I'm trying to push top speed on the freeway going steady ya. But that's not very often for me.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

I've got an AGV AX-8 DS w/ visor, and goggles. I ride street and dirt. I tend to just ... always use the goggles. Sometimes I flip the visor down, but I've considered just taking it off.

(I personally don't see the practical point of a separate street helmet. A well-designed MX helmet's peak doesn't catch wind anyway, and all else is pretty much equal. For looks, sure, I like the MX helmet look better too though ? )

• Like 1

I have a Scorpion EXO street helmet, an HJC MX helmet and since Christmas a Bell MX-9 Adventure dualsport helmet.

For street only riding the street helmet is superior to all, except for maybe in 100+ degree weather. Its the most quiet, the warmest, and the slickest through the air.

For street, the MX helmet and goggle setup is the worst. Its the loudest, its the most tiring to wear (the peak catches the air making you work to keep your head where you want it) and its cold in colder temperatures. Off road, however, especially in dry dusty conditions, it is the best. And they tend to be the coolest in the summer. 

The Adventure helmet I don't have much time in, yet, but I can say on the street it falls in between the Street and MX helmet as you might expect. Its louder than the street, vents a little more air and it has a peak so it does catch some air when riding. I have not been off road with it yet so I can't comment on that but I wouldn't hesitate to take it there as long as I have goggles in my pack in case I need them. 

(I personally don't see the practical point of a separate street helmet. A well-designed MX helmet's peak doesn't catch wind anyway, and all else is pretty much equal. For looks, sure, I like the MX helmet look better too though ? )

• Like 2

I have a Scorpion EXO street helmet, an HJC MX helmet and since Christmas a Bell MX-9 Adventure dualsport helmet.

For street only riding the street helmet is superior to all, except for maybe in 100+ degree weather. Its the most quiet, the warmest, and the slickest through the air.

For street, the MX helmet and goggle setup is the worst. Its the loudest, its the most tiring to wear (the peak catches the air making you work to keep your head where you want it) and its cold in colder temperatures. Off road, however, especially in dry dusty conditions, it is the best. And they tend to be the coolest in the summer. 

The Adventure helmet I don't have much time in, yet, but I can say on the street it falls in between the Street and MX helmet as you might expect. Its louder than the street, vents a little more air and it has a peak so it does catch some air when riding. I have not been off road with it yet so I can't comment on that but I wouldn't hesitate to take it there as long as I have goggles in my pack in case I need them. 

Good points! I'll say that I'm 100% satisfied with my combo, just to put that out there ?

-- IMO there's a surprisingly big difference between how much different MX helmet peaks "grab" the wind. Given that I don't feel it grab, I like having the visor when it's sunny out. And I personally always, always wear earplugs anyway so for me the quiet / not quiet part is kind of moot.

I have all three types. (full face street, full face off road and cross-over Arai AD) Like anything else, they are nice, but don't do either job as well as the specific helmets. That said, the only time on the street that the XD is annoying is at speed. If I didn't have a 1050cc street bike, I'd probably be OK. The other issue is dust. Nothing works better than goggles at keeping dust out of your eyes. Even when I was using the XD on the DRZ, I had the shield off and was using goggles. So, I guess it really matters your intended use. The cross-over is fine if you are bombing along at 100+ mph or are not riding in overly dusty areas.

• Like 1

I have a couple MX helmets and a pile of goggles that I use during the summer both on and off road , winter gets a snowmobile helmet which is basically a street helmet just a little thicker for warmth. Have been eyeing up DS helmets for more quiet riding on the street but so many reviews complain about them being noisy . Meeting semi's on 2 way streets is annoying with the MX helmets.