ALERT: Shady Craigslist ad in Charlotte NC. Stolen bike?

This ad has all the signs of a stolen bike being listed for a quick sale so I figured I'd post it in case anyone recognizes it. Looks like the battery cover was ripped off to disconnect battery in case of an alarm and the headlight cover was removed to get at the ignition. The key switch also looks to have been tampered with. And the seller says they can't read the VIN and the title is missing. On top of all that, the price is too good to be true. And hey, if it's not stolen, it's a great deal so somebody should snatch it up ;-) I re-posted one of the pics but there's more in the ad.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/5500831507.html

00E0E_8caZQaA4htv_600x450.jpg

This ad has all the signs of a stolen bike being listed for a quick sale so I figured I'd post it in case anyone recognizes it. Looks like the battery cover was ripped off to disconnect battery in case of an alarm and the headlight cover was removed to get at the ignition. The key switch also looks to have been tampered with. And the seller says they can't read the VIN and the title is missing. On top of all that, the price is too good to be true. And hey, if it's not stolen, it's a great deal so somebody should snatch it up ;-) I re-posted one of the pics but there's more in the ad.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/5500831507.html

Here is the contact info in the ad:

contact name:

• John

call or text:

• ☎ (704) 201-8583

That is not a 2009. It is a year 2000. Only year that had that type of graphics on the shrouds and tank. Missing chain guard as well.  And of course it is not a DR-450 because they have never been made. To quote a ZZ Top song... I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

• Like 2

Why? Nothing is wrong and until it's proven otherwise you should just mind your own business...

Wow. Why? Because it takes a society to stop thieves.

Nothing is wrong? There is A LOT wrong with that ad. Did you take a look at the ad? "Minding your own business" does not preclude alerting police so they can take a look and make the judgement.

• Like 6

Wow. Why? Because it takes a society to stop thieves.

Nothing is wrong? There is A LOT wrong with that ad. Did you take a look at the ad? "Minding your own business" does not preclude alerting police so they can take a look and make the judgement.

Ohhhh, look at you go Neighbourhood Watch!

Did "YOU" take a look at the ad? Needs a quick sell to buy a Zero Turn. Let's be honest, you have no idea what a Zero Turn is, but it's an expensive riding lawnmo. He can't read the VIN, really what so shocking about that? It's a 15yr old bike! Could be caked with grease and dirt or worn off due to the cables. Or maybe he just doesn't care to read it because it is really no one's business on the Internet at this point. Oh, missing some plastic, nothing too crazy about that. He doesn't have paperwork? Lots of people with NEW bikes don't have paperwork... I have 3 bikes in my garage that don't have paperwork...

Really, get phaqed!

• Like 1

A lot of things definitely raise the flags , I'd get the VIN and then call the police to check out the # . I know if my bike got stolen and someone saw it for sale  I'd want someone to call the police . It would be preferred to have someone get the vin instead of having the cops come knocking on someone that is innocent though (although I wouldn't be pissed if they came to look at one of my bikes if I hadn't done anything wrong , to me that would show some interest in retrieving stolen toys)

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Why? Nothing is wrong and until it's proven otherwise you should just mind your own business...

Maybe there was a police report filed for the stolen bike... If you have ever had anything stolen you wouldn't have said anything...

• Like 4

Maybe there was a police report filed for the stolen bike... If you have ever had anything stolen you wouldn't have said anything...

Actually ya, I've had more shit stolen then you have ever owned. 2500g or diesel fuel, a dirtbike, multiple pickups, countless pieces of landscaping equipment etc etc. Point is I don't jump on the first crappy ad and assume it's stolen. And unless you had a DRZ that was stolen, it shouldn't be any of your business...

Actually ya, I've had more shit stolen then you have ever owned. 2500g or diesel fuel, a dirtbike, multiple pickups, countless pieces of landscaping equipment etc etc. Point is I don't jump on the first crappy ad and assume it's stolen. And unless you had a DRZ that was stolen, it shouldn't be any of your business...

You sound like a douchbag maybe you should mind your own business... In sure you would have loved any kind of tip helpful or not to retrieve your property
  • Like 5