'85 YZ250 rebuild

I recently picked up two YZ250's, they've been sitting for roughly ten years or so. One of the motors sat outside without the top end on it, the bottom end ended up being seized. A little bit of motor oil and some force applied to Kickstarter freed it right up. Everything in the bottom end seems to be working properly. Should I split the case and replace the seals??

On the second bike there's not much to say. It's basically a rolling chassis.

My dad and I will be rebuilding both bikes. I'm not sure where to get all the necessary parts.

Does anyone know where I'd be able to find parts? I'll be be posting pics as the build progresses. I forgot to mention when I bought the bikes the seller gave me three motors with 2 cylinders and a bunch of parts.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458619058.136244.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458619075.033879.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458619099.157196.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458619115.650623.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458619291.133643.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458619331.770603.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458619370.400803.jpg

Nice rebuild you have on your hands! Id definitely split the cases even though it seems to be in working order.Not sure about parts though, I have a hard time finding parts for my modern bike! lol

Thank you! I can't wait to get them up and running! I have almost every part I need to build all three engines, there's a lot of work to be done, it's going to be worth it so me and my dad can go out riding together!

Sick!

I'm working on a 1985 YZ 125-N right now myself, this is a chalanging bike to restore. Shock is a nightmare for sure.

No joke, I think I don't have the proper spring rate for my weight. I weigh 120 (without gear) I'm don't know what the spring rate is on the bike. From what I know it's the stock spring.

I have a question about my other bike it's a yz80 and I'm having issues with the power band here's a link of what my bike is doing( this isn't me or my bike in the video)

Please help. For the life of me I can't figure this out!

http://youtu.be/DD-FemlXZyE

Update #1 one bike is torn down and ready to get sanded and painted. The other bike(mine) motors in, waiting on the gasket set to arrive. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459130799.279743.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459130822.025365.jpg

Nice, soon I'm going to be rebuilding a 400ex 2002 with my friend.

Nice me and my dad are building these so we can go riding together

It's awesome how you guys are restoring these old machines to make them live again! :)

Anytime my dad and I are working he's always telling stories on when he was my age and all the crazy stuff he did on his old yz250! Here in a few days I'll have my bike running! I'm waiting on the top end gaskets, throttle cable and tube, and the clutch lever/cable

Nice

Any advise on painting the plastics?

Any advise on painting the plastics?

Paint is not going to hold up too well there's a thread about dyeing them on here. Those old YZ's are really making a come back. I remember looking for some a few months ago and guys were charging ridiculous amounts for restored ones. Good luck looks like its gonna be a fun build. :thumbsup:

Paint is not going to hold up too well there's a thread about dyeing them on here. Those old YZ's are really making a come back. I remember looking for some a few months ago and guys were charging ridiculous amounts for restored ones. Good luck looks like its gonna be a fun build. :thumbsup:

I guess a better question would be how would l go about getting the color back? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459203733.536392.jpg

That looks like mine after I spent some time wet sanding it. Still impossible to get them back to white. You can get a "Clark" if you want new but $220.00 is out of my league.

That looks like mine after I spent some time wet sanding it. Still impossible to get them back to white. You can get a "Clark" if you want new but $220.00 is out of my league.

Yeah $220.00 is out of my budget. Eh I'll learn to live with it

$220! Yeah, kinda spendy. Darn it. Oh well. Man, I wish the best of luck to you and your dad on this awsome project! Keep us updated!!! Make sure you ask any questions you have!!! :-)

Yes, keep us updated.