Wr200 2 stroke

Hi everyone I am thinking of buying a wr200 or wr250 2 stroke from the mid 90's just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of considering they are an old bike any information would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Mitch

My first bike was a 92 wr250 that I bought in 2009. I loved that thing, it had tons of power and the transmission was set up great for the terrain I was riding at the time (western Washington). For being a 17 year old bike I rarely had issues with it. Only thing I remember having to swap out was the clutch pushrod due to being worn out. That's it. I wasnt easy on it either, long slow technical trailrides in the middle of summer and it performed flawlessly. Thing had like a 3 gallon tank on it too so I could ride all day.

If you find a clean used one I wouldnt hesitate to pull the trigger. I think I bought mine in 09 for 800 bucks and sold it in 2014 for $700. Not a bad deal. Good luck!

The wr200 to the wr250 is a pretty large jump. The wr200 is a fairly tame trail bike, while the wr250 is a fire breathing converted motocrosser. The wr250 suspension is better than the wr200, and makes close to double the horsepower. Either way, parts are drying up for both bikes, so it may be a bit of a challenge to build compared to a 99+ yz250.

• Like 1

Hahahaha!  I owned a wr250, fire breathing is not a word I would use to describe it.  Sure you CAN ride them fast, but it takes a while to get there and you're not going to be pulling any wheelies unless you really try.

EDIT*  I was thinking of later WR250f, hold on while I remove my foot from my mouth...

Edited by bikedude987

I currently have a 2013 WR450f with all the bells and whistles I don't have any intention on getting rid of it. Would it be to much of a step down in power if I got the Wr200?

I currently have a 2013 WR450f with all the bells and whistles I don't have any intention on getting rid of it. Would it be to much of a step down in power if I got the Wr200?

The wr450f makes 10 more horsepower than the wr200 when it's stock and corked up. I suspect when uncorked it makes around 20 hp more than the wr200.

Yes, a huge step down in Power. It will feel light & nimble compared to the WR though, even though it's not all that light.

I have my WR200R converted to a supermoto because in the FL sand its just a tiny bit too tame for the type of riding I do.  on the street however its a fun badass bike! the WR250Z on the other hand (I have a 94' and 96') are just the opposite of the 200R.  they haul the mail and make fantastic power and are a blast ride offroad.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_06b0ee7682cf4f4eba

AdobePhotoshopExpress_60aab924f01f41469f

• Like 4

I read somewhere that the earlier 90's models used a different carburettor to the later models is this something I should be aware of because it said the earlier ones where rubbish?

I read somewhere that the earlier 90's models used a different carburettor to the later models is this something I should be aware of because it said the earlier ones where rubbish?

I have a 1989 YZ 250 WR that was the precursor to the WR 250. My bike has the  Mikuni TM carb and i am planing to switching to a PWK. The bike ran fine when it was running but it was hard to start and that is why I am switching.

I have a 1989 YZ 250 WR that was the precursor to the WR 250. My bike has the  Mikuni TM carb and i am planing to switching to a PWK. The bike ran fine when it was running but it was hard to start and that is why I am switching.

both my 94 and 96 WR250 i switched from a round slide VM38 to a PWK 38mm quad vent air striker.  night and day difference.  theres a writeup somewhere here on TT with instructions on how to do it.  google search "WR250Z quad vent" should be first result.  combined with some mild porting, and Vforce reeds the bike goes from "wow" to "ill never sell this thing!" 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1