Wife is quad tard, need help.

My wife and I ride often and she is much slower and crashes often, I also don’t usually wait for her :lol: . I’m looking for a communication device that I can instantly hear her without pushing a button. I don’t want to stop to answer a call on my phone and don’t want to spend much over $50. Anyone ride with radios and hands free headsets?

• Like 2

Baofeng UHF/VHF radios.  UV5Rs.  Run them on a GMRS/FRS or MURS frequency.   They have VOX and come with a microphone and ear bud.   Put them in the helmet and she will be able to reach you anytime she wants... hmmm....

Or use them as regular radios, without VOX.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
  • Like 1

I wonder if a small bluetooth earbud paired with a phone in your hydropack would work? (If you have unlimited minutes, lol) Just call each other before the ride and keep it connected? http://www.amazon.com/Bengoo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Reduction-Technology/dp/B00Q4IRV8Q/

Decent helmet communicators are usually a couple hundred bucks...

Edited by Aka.Goose

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087NB0ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_i8x8wbPPPHYBM

I use these with my wife and son, who are both on quads. They work awesome and are well worth the price.

400 meters in open space is 100 meters or less in the bush.   Vegetation kills RF waves like crazy.

Some of the Motorola FRS/GMRS units do VOX and will outperform those Bluetooth devices 10x over.   Radio goes in the pack, earbud and microphone go in the helmet. 

400 meters in open space is 100 meters or less in the bush.   Vegetation kills RF waves like crazy.

Some of the Motorola FRS/GMRS units do VOX and will outperform those Bluetooth devices 10x over.   Radio goes in the pack, earbud and microphone go in the helmet. 

No argument there, there are times where it can get patchy, so i'll go up the trail aways, sit and wait for them to come back in range, repeat as necessary.  When I want to go really ride, I leave them at home.  Typically we'll go ride for an hour or so, then i'll come back and go ride with the guys, it's  just easier that way sometimes.  :)  Overall though, like I said, the Sena stuff has been invaluable, if I could get the wife to stop shouting "WHEEEEE" into the mic it would be better.  LOL

Baofeng UHF/VHF radios.  UV5Rs.  Run them on a GMRS/FRS or MURS frequency.   They have VOX and come with a microphone and ear bud.   Put them in the helmet and she will be able to reach you anytime she wants... hmmm....

Or use them as regular radios, without VOX.

Thinking Motorola talkabouts with some kind of PPT feature on handlebar. when I was a boy scout we had them but they only had 2-5 mile range. now they go 30+.

Edited by Kalamazoo

Thinking Motorola talkabouts with some kind of PPT feature on handlebar. when I was a boy scout we had them but they only had 2-5 mile range. now they go 30+.

If you go to the Motorola site, 30+ miles is mountain top to mountain top.   The same radios are rated 5 miles over water and 2 miles in urban.  In vegetation it can be even lower.

The UV5R outperforms a Motorola FRS/GMRS radio by 2 to 5x distance wise.  Better receiver, more transmission power, better antennas.   They aren't completely legal on FRS/GMRS frequencies. 

We've used these radios to communicate a couple miles in bush, crystal clear.   We operate on the 2m band, not the 70cm band.

• Like 1

My wife and I ride often and she is much slower and crashes often, I also don’t usually wait for her :lol: . I’m looking for a communication device that I can instantly hear her without pushing a button. I don’t want to stop to answer a call on my phone and don’t want to spend much over $50. Anyone ride with radios and hands free headsets?

Be careful with those quads, my buddy has 3 cracked vertebrae, job loss, and a messed up future!

• Like 1

Be careful with those quads, my buddy has 3 cracked vertebrae, job loss, and a messed up future!

Yep, never seen anyone do that on a dirt bike, or a mountain bike for that matter.  ;)

My wife just likes to putt, she's doing nothing over about 25 miles per hour, and is extremely cautious.  My son is 12, gets his Mom's timidness, but is happy to go out and ride, waiting for him to get bored and want to make the switch, he's starting to push himself a bit more.  For now, just happy to get out and ride them.

• Like 1

lmao @ that topic title. Sorry. Just had me laughing when I seen it. However, im sure my buddy could relate, his wife rides a quad, put it in the trees pretty good. TBH I think a dirt bike (without deep sand) is a lot easier if they can learn the basics, balance, and control in a more wide open area first....so much less to fit between things. haha

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 1

When I was looking for a cheap solution for communication with my girlfriend out riding I found these units (after a lot of research). I never ended up getting them however, but I still want them... apparently they go on sale in a week. 

No shit! What would be the point???? 

To communicate without having to check my phone every stop sign, assuming I have cell service in the National Forest at all. It also provides piece of mind she's not stuck under her 500 pound Yamaha Grizzly without being able to grab her phone, assuming she has a hands free unit in her helmet.

When I was looking for a cheap solution for communication with my girlfriend out riding I found these units (after a lot of research). I never ended up getting them however, but I still want them... apparently they go on sale in a week. 

100mw at 2.4 GHz isn't going to get you much range at all in trees.  By comparison, the UVRs are 1 watt (or 5 watts, illegally) on 240 or 450 MHz.  Way, way more penetration in vegetation.