rear shock spring i.d.

Im trying to i.d. the rear spring in my 98 cr250.  Its blue with an orange mark.  Problem is that the previous owner claimed he put a cr500 spring it it and I cant find any info on cr500 spring color codes.  My 250 book doesn't list a spring with an orange mark and this spring is right at the standard preloaded spring length when un-sprung.  Its 10.5 and standard is closer to 10 7/8.  I have to put 1/2" of preload on this spring to get 3.9" of race sag and .98" of static sag. Seems im losing a good bit of travel with this spring.  Prob best to go out and buy the right spring for the bike even if the rates are the same.  Race tech rec a 5.2.  Curiosity and parting with a hundred bucks is making me want to know what rate this spring is.  Cant find anyone with a spring tester either.  Bought this bike in 03.

Why do you think your loosing travel?all your numbers say your spring is perfect,the length of the spring is not relevant unless it coil binds which I don't think yours is doing

Edited by mog

My owners manual says the standard preloaded spring length should be 10.5" with a min of 10.25".  I have to load it to just under 10" to get the sag numbers to work.  What I get from that, if I understand it correctly, is with the correct spring the sag numbers should look good with the spring preloaded to 10.5".  That's why I thought I was losing 1/2" of travel.  I'm guessing this spring came off of a pre 97 bike which would have been a different frame and might have required a different spring length.  There are barely any threads left on the shock once I crank it down to where it needs to be.  I am a noob at this suspension thing so I don't know if that's normal or not.  I know my numbers line up but something doesn't seem right.

It's hard to work in imperial numbers but you have around 12mm preload 23mm static and 99mm sag , the preload and static are a tiny bit high but then I always run more like 102 which would give you better numbers ,I can see your concerned your nearly out of threads but that's only because this spring starts shorter ,I would back the spring off half a turn from where it is now and ride :-)

And if need be OEM used springs can be found easily for Hondas. I use FC for used Honda springs at a good price. They always have what I need.

On 3/24/2016 at 1:09 PM, ring ding ding said:

And if need be OEM used springs can be found easily for Hondas. I use FC for used Honda springs at a good price. They always have what I need.

Who is FC?

Small co no one has ever heard of,,,,,,,,,,,Factory Connection. ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ring ding ding said:

Small co no one has ever heard of,,,,,,,,,,,Factory Connection. ;)

You're the second person who said they get used springs from them. I called them a while back and they said they almost never have used ones. 

Every time they test a bike setup they have a used spring. They do more testing with more riders than all other susp cos combined, especially with Honda. I think you spoke with a yoyo not wanting to help. Other susp cos sell used springs at a discount also.