Quieting down that noisy XR

As all of us XR owners know, the XR is a noisy beast. All that valve noise coming out of the top end is normal (to a certain degree, of course), so we are used to it. I had my 03 apart to put new valves in, and I decided to switch brands of oil I had been using Amsoil for a couple years and thought it was quite good. But I switched to Lucas 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil after seeing it at the auto parts store. I've always liked Lucas products so I figured I'd give it a try. I read a couple reviews from Harley owners, they said their bikes were amazingly quiet and ran cooler with the Lucas, sounded good to me.

So I go the bike back together, put 1.5 qts. of the Lucas in, and fired it up. Let it warm up a bit, and what the heck, I could barely hear the engine running. Took it for a ride and not only was it virtually silent, but it ran approximately 25* cooler (the 277 kit makes it run hot).

I highly recommend the Lucas, I was really amazed at what it did for the bike.

61XtYf51irL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

this stuff is all i use, i can't remember if its in the full or semi synthetic form, but, best oil for the price, i've been really happy with it.

How's your clutch? Same as always before? Synthetic oils can have more frictions reducing additives, so that they last longer as well as increase efficiency. The clutch plates need friction to hold, so synthetics aren't always a good thing.

Nice results if it doesn't effect the trans!

How's your clutch? Same as always before? Synthetic oils can have more frictions reducing additives, so that they last longer as well as increase efficiency. The clutch plates need friction to hold, so synthetics aren't always a good thing.

Nice results if it doesn't effect the trans!

It meets the wet clutch specs. I was using Amsoil synthetic for a couple years anyway. The other nice thing about synthetics is the trans shifts real slick. The upside of the Lucas over the Amsoil is like I mentioned in the OP, cooler and quieter.

I get mine at O'Reillys and they carry the 10-40 semi synthetic and the 20-50 fully synthetic.

• Like 1

Longer term update on this oil.  Fantastic. :thumbsup:   Lower operating temps, no foaming of the oil after a hard ride.  The bike is quieter, even with a skid plate I installed the same time I put the top end back together and put in the Lucas.  The clutch is behaving perfectly, no issues there, it is wet clutch compatible and works very well.  After a couple hundred miles of use I can say I highly recommend the Lucas synthetic, especially if you are running a big bore kit.  At ~$10 per quart it is one of the better bargains out there.

Very interesting.

Seems to good to be true considering amsoil is good oil. I run it because my dad is a dealer.

We have 4 xrs/xls may be worth trying in one of them.

I will keep my eyes open when I am shopping and pick up a couple quarts.

1.5 qt is not enough oil after a rebuild, hope you topped it off. And yes. Lucas is very exceptional. My XR4's are not/have not been noisy at all, I really don't understand that complaint.

Edited by YHGEORGE

1.5 qt is not enough oil after a rebuild, hope you topped it off. And yes. Lucas is very exceptional. My XR4's are not/have not been noisy at all, I really don't understand that complaint.

Not really noisy, its just that being air cooled with rockers you can hear the valve train.  Quieted that aspect down.  I just like the performance of the oil, though.  And for a 250, that amount is about right, they hold a half qt. less than the 400.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Not really noisy, its just that being air cooled with rockers you can hear the valve train.  Quieted that aspect down.  I just like the performance of the oil, though.  And for a 250, that amount is about right, they hold a half qt. less than the 400.

:thumbsup:  Was thinking of my 400.