Michigan Michigan Riders/Tips

Just curious to see how many people on here are around Northern Michigan. I live about 45 mins east of Traverse City, near Grayling. First year on a bike and I can't get enough of it, I'd love to meet some new people that trail ride often. The forecast for the next couple days is saying 4-8 inches of snow which is really depressing after the decent weather we've had. Fingers crossed that it won't stay but every year the weather is so unpredictable here. Also if anyone has any tips for new riders please drop a comment, much appreciated.  :ride:

Well, MI trails contain a lot of sand. The typical thing to want to do when you get a lil squirrely in it is to slow down even more. Unless you are straight up going into the woods, enough throttle to keep your momentum is going to be your best option to maintaining control. Not saying just twist it and hold on, just saying momentum is your best friend in sand. I mean on sandy downhills I am accelerating down them, vs. trying to brake down them. Again, not burnin through gears, but some throttle to keep me to keep the front end from digging and me controlling the sand and not vise versa. 

As much as you can, try to be looking ahead a little bit. Don't get into staring at the tip of your fender so to speak. The ole look where you want to go and not where you dont really is true. I find the times I focus on a rock or something I have a hard time not at least clipping it lol. Its like a mental thing. Look ahead, look for a decent line if its rocky/rooty and try to commit to it by looking at it and executing it. 

I stand quite a bit in trails, I think that will probably come more in time. But, its a lot easier for me at least to do so. Its hard to go faster over our good ole mi whoops and some other trail obstacles if you're sitting. 

Use trail etiquette. Mostly try to stay on the trail, dont rip up non-trail areas or do donuts where its wide enough (we arent ridin quads here). If you pass people on the trail going opposite way, use the hand signals. If you're alone hold up a closed fist, if one behind, hold up 1 finger, etc, etc. 

Take everything as slow as you need to be safe but when you feel ready to push it a lil more do so. Cant get better in a hospital bed.

All in all just ease into it, it isnt a race in the woods unless your with buddies who it ends up becoming one with haha. If we head up to frederic this year, which we often do and I remember this thread. I will let ya know. 

• Like 2

Well said 2fitty.best advice try to look ahead and not at your front tire..watch videos on youtube=crosstraining videos that will help you a lot.(graham Jarvis or jonny walker).have fun stay safe.

• Like 1

Well, MI trails contain a lot of sand. The typical thing to want to do when you get a lil squirrely in it is to slow down even more. Unless you are straight up going into the woods, enough throttle to keep your momentum is going to be your best option to maintaining control. Not saying just twist it and hold on, just saying momentum is your best friend in sand. I mean on sandy downhills I am accelerating down them, vs. trying to brake down them. Again, not burnin through gears, but some throttle to keep me to keep the front end from digging and me controlling the sand and not vise versa. 

As much as you can, try to be looking ahead a little bit. Don't get into staring at the tip of your fender so to speak. The ole look where you want to go and not where you dont really is true. I find the times I focus on a rock or something I have a hard time not at least clipping it lol. Its like a mental thing. Look ahead, look for a decent line if its rocky/rooty and try to commit to it by looking at it and executing it. 

I stand quite a bit in trails, I think that will probably come more in time. But, its a lot easier for me at least to do so. Its hard to go faster over our good ole mi whoops and some other trail obstacles if you're sitting. 

Use trail etiquette. Mostly try to stay on the trail, dont rip up non-trail areas or do donuts where its wide enough (we arent ridin quads here). If you pass people on the trail going opposite way, use the hand signals. If you're alone hold up a closed fist, if one behind, hold up 1 finger, etc, etc. 

Take everything as slow as you need to be safe but when you feel ready to push it a lil more do so. Cant get better in a hospital bed.

All in all just ease into it, it isnt a race in the woods unless your with buddies who it ends up becoming one with haha. If we head up to frederic this year, which we often do and I remember this thread. I will let ya know. 

Thanks I really appreciate the advice, I will definitely keep it all in mind when I ride. I love going fast, but I don't overdo it if I'm not comfortable because, like you said, you cant get better in a hospital bed. I've noticed myself looking closer to the front fender naturally, so I'm glad you guys said something about that. I've been keeping that in my head to look further ahead not right in front of me, so it'll become more natural over time. That sounds good, I live in Frederic so if you do remember give me a shout!

Yep, my buddy has a place off of cameron bridge road. So we ride around there usually. Far as the fender sometimes yes you do need to look down...but looking down a LOT makes target fixation a lot more of an issue because you have less time to decide how to handle it vs. seeing it coming and being able to make a decision, etc. Most of the time, and especially if I am leading, I am trying to look as far down the trail as I can or around a corner (through the woods) if I can tell its a left corner for example and its possible to see through to try and avoid head ons with other riders as well. One time a kid who I could tell  was a fender looker was comin right at me. We both had plenty of time to make a move, i got on brakes and hugged my right side. Well I dont think he seen me at all til he was damn near at my wheel cuz he looked up panicked and bit it off the trail to his right lol. 

He was ok, just an example of why looking up is good!

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF