KTM's new enduro chassis has NO LINKAGE

Fail.

140676_Christophe_Nambotin_KTM_350_EXC-F_2016_1200.jpg

Almost all of their Six days and Endurocross guys build custom bikes with linkage frames.

So buy an XCF?

So buy an XCF?

Or a Husqvarna. PDS still has a huge following. There were alot of customers concerned that it was going away.

Or a Husqvarna. PDS still has a huge following. There were alot of customers concerned that it was going away.

Yup.

Fail.

attachicon.gif140676_Christophe_Nambotin_KTM_350_EXC-F_2016_1200.jpg

Almost all of their Six days and Endurocross guys build custom bikes with linkage frames.

Very high pct of euro riders prefer the PDS. Different terrain and use favors different setups. The KTM linkage has what many consider a design flaw and creates issues in rocky, mixed terrain.

...and it never will.

BETA

KTM dealers are so tired of losing business over this issue. They have the correct engine power delivery in the EXC's but an outdated chassis. Put that engine in an SX/XC chassis and watch out. (well with a kickstart)

KTM dealers are so tired of losing business over this issue. They have the correct engine power delivery in the EXC's but an outdated chassis. Put that engine in an SX/XC chassis and watch out. (well with a kickstart)

The 2017 IS  a very updated chassis. Waaaaaay better than the previous years in flex and handling.

It might even handle as good as the BETA does...

The PDS is not a detrement if set up properly.

It's just a total pain in the ass to do so, and it's like open bath forks....the range of shaft speed control is narrower than with linkage/CC forks.....so you have to tune it for a very specific purpose.

...or you just go buy a Husky TE/ TES and be done with it.

No KTM dealer has been loosing sales over PDS, that is just ludicrious. 

They do loose sales over peaky power bands and short engine life, and most of the big dealers in the country are still trying to get rid of the 250 and 350 SXF models from far back as 2011.

.....only $4999 for a brand new 2011 250SXF....

A '17 xcw/exc will sell like hotcakes!

I like the PDS everywhere that isn't an MX track so for me, I'm glad they are staying with it.  If you want a KTM Enduro with a linkage, it's now white and called a Husqvarna.  

No linkage is great when you're sliding logs and such. PDS definitely has it's place.  :thumbsup: 

I like the PDS everywhere that isn't an MX track so for me, I'm glad they are staying with it.  If you want a KTM Enduro with a linkage, it's now white and called a Husqvarna.

Exactly! KTM dealers must love this.

No linkage is great when you're sliding logs and such. PDS definitely has it's place.   :thumbsup:

Agreed, but a Fastway makes it just as good.

Edited by dyrtmon

I will say the linkageless is nice on the street too, its very similar to lots of motorcycle designs...However if I want a bike to go mostly offroad again I want that linkage and I'll likely go husky or beta...

I like pds, in heavy rocks linkages get hung up and break..

The 2017 IS  a very updated chassis. Waaaaaay better than the previous years in flex and handling.

It might even handle as good as the BETA does...

The PDS is not a detrement if set up properly.

It's just a total pain in the ass to do so, and it's like open bath forks....the range of shaft speed control is narrower than with linkage/CC forks.....so you have to tune it for a very specific purpose.

...or you just go buy a Husky TE/ TES and be done with it.

No KTM dealer has been loosing sales over PDS, that is just ludicrious. 

They do loose sales over peaky power bands and short engine life, and most of the big dealers in the country are still trying to get rid of the 250 and 350 SXF models from far back as 2011.

.....only $4999 for a brand new 2011 250SXF....

There called FE, TE's are 2t and no "S" models.

A '17 xcw/exc will sell like hotcakes!

Locally here dealers can't keep any XC or XCW's in stock IF they are willing to not sell at MSRP.

I like pds, in heavy rocks linkages get hung up and break..

I have hit many rocky areas, crossed logs and over river banks and have yet to have the linkage destroyed or stop me. I have asked many PDS riders if the linkage less helps in these areas. Most said they never notice the differences.  This maybe a selling point but not a reality.

KTMs linked bikes exposed the lower shock eye much more than most because of the shock length. Perhaps the best job at protecting the shock was done by the previous GasGas design (2011 and prior) but few bikes have the exposure that the KTM linked bikes did ... matched only by the low hanging 2T exhaust pipes.

Maybe more interesting is the fact that all of the bikes have kickstart levers on them.

I am sure there are parts of this world where open land and free riding allow the choice to not have to use MX tracks to ride consistently, Texas is not one of those places.

Having owned a PDS for a long time I know they work fine right up until jumping comes along. Switching to a bike with linkage at a track makes you instantly clear jumps you just can't get over with PDS, they don't have enough lift off the face of jumps from my experience.

Hence, most riders use tracks, why spend the same amount for a new bike with limits? The bummer to me is, that's the chassis with their best engine pkg. (6 spd and best torque)

Edited by Johnny Depp

I am sure there are parts of this world where open land and free riding allow the choice to not have to use MX tracks to ride consistently, Texas is not one of those places.

Having owned a PDS for a long time I know they work fine right up until jumping comes along. Switching to a bike with linkage at a track makes you instantly clear jumps you just can't get over with PDS, they don't have enough lift off the face of jumps from my experience.

Hence, most TEXAS riders use tracks, why spend the same amount for a new bike with limits? The bummer to me is, that's the chassis with their best engine pkg. (6 spd and best torque)

There, fixed for you.

Ah, you must have picked up on my subliminal inference. I sure do see a lot of enduro bike videos on tracks though.. It's cool with me if people want to buy any bike they choose, but KTM sure helped out the competition IMHO.

Edited by Johnny Depp