14 year old driving me nuts...

Hi everyone. New to the forum.

Here's my dilemma. My son has been riding a TTR110 for about three years and outgrew it. Now he's fixated on getting a used CRF250R that's for sale not too far from us. It's an '07 and the guys looking for $1400. Didn't seem too unreasonable but he told my son that it's been shimmed once before and now it starts hard with the kicker when cold, so he pop starts it . Will this thing be a good trail/woods bike and will the reliability be there in the long run? I just don't want the kid to have something we have to work on every week and I can't get it through his head that we may be buying someone else's headache. Ugh.... Thoughts?

BTW, my son is 5'5 and around 115 lbs.....and growing.

Thanks

Sounds to me like the valves need replaced.  I wouldn't pay much more than $1000 for a bike with those issues.  

With some time and $$ (there is no real way to know how much until it's opened up), you can make that a very good/reliable bike.  But it sounds like he hasn't taken very good care of it, and it could cost you more in repairs than what he wants.

That's a good size bike for your son, but that bike in particular sounds like a money pit to me.

They are OK trail bikes. Not reliable. Its going to need at least some valve work it sounds like, hope nothing else is worn out or it could easily cost as much to fix as the whole bike. There needs to be a balance between reliability and the kids riding style. If he wants to go fast then a race oriented bike tends to be less maintenance overall and he's not beating it and himself to death in the process. If he likes to just cruise around then a trail specific bike works better. If he's looking at crf250r bikes then he thinks fast is for him. Is he stuck on 4 strokes? Trail or mx? 200EXC/XCW is an incredibly fun and versatile bike that is reliable. Can be ridden slow or fast. They are the sweet spot between full MX and full trail WR250 or CRF250X would be good too but you have to keep up on the maintenance more.

I'm starting to agree that this isn't the bike for him. After much research and a call to a friend of mine that works on these things, I'm going to steer away from it. Maybe try to get him into a 125 two stroke to get him acclimated to a clutch rider. He mostly trail rides but is fixated on not getting a trail 4 stroker. We'll see what happens. Thank you guys for your input!

at 5' 5", I think a 125 two stroke or a 250 four stroke is going to be too big for him.  You might look at the KX100 or CRF150RB for him (19" front wheel/16" rear wheel).  These are huge steps up in power from a KLX110 and if he doesnt have clutch experience they might still be too much for him.  Perhaps you should look at CRF150F or CRF230F trail bikes.  Your son may not want a trail bike, but he needs to learn how to use a clutch first.  Dont be afraid to buy used and turn these bikes when he outgrows them performance wise.

at 5' 5", I think a 125 two stroke or a 250 four stroke is going to be too big for him.  You might look at the KX100 or CRF150RB for him (19" front wheel/16" rear wheel).  These are huge steps up in power from a KLX110 and if he doesnt have clutch experience they might still be too much for him.  Perhaps you should look at CRF150F or CRF230F trail bikes.  Your son may not want a trail bike, but he needs to learn how to use a clutch first.  Dont be afraid to buy used and turn these bikes when he outgrows them performance wise.

Yeah we looked at a CRF150 this afternoon but it had too many issues and not well taken care of. Stopped at a friends house and he rode their '03 YZ 125 and he did really well on it. He didn't want a 2 stroker but after riding it he loved it. He did better with a clutch than I anticipated and was able to start and take off up a hill with little problems. So after some negotiations, we bought it. Rode it at home for about an hour until it got too dark. Spent another hour in the garage cleaning it and asking LOTS of questions about maintenance and such. Going to go field testing later this weekend to get him more used to it. Maybe he'll let me take it for a spin.... Haha. Thanks for the input.

TTR 110 to crf250r ARE YOU CRAZY? Go for an 80/85 two stroke will be more than enough compared to the ttr. I rode an xr80 and then got a cr80 and the power shocked it will be way to much bike

I think if you want to get him a bike he can grow into, get a Honda Cr125, its a two stroke, it has plenty of power but not to much, there is no came chain, or camshaft or valves to deal with, it is cheaper to rebuild and easier, easy enough to do in just an hour or 2. Its a reliable bike though. But better for going wide open and fast. Good luck finding a bike for him. 

He already picked up a 125 smoker.

Im going to have the same problem in a few years. My grandson has a TTR110 now and it is a great beginner bike. This winter we are going to put a manual clutch kit on it so next season he will start using a clutch. He is already talking about racing, even though he knows he dosnt have a race bike.

You made a wise choice. He's already getting close to being too big for the super minis (KX100 et al) The 125's are not any faster than the 100, much easier to control (won't wheelie nearly as easy as the 100), much easier to hop rocks etc, and you're future proofed. He won't be needing a bigger bike by the end of the summer.

And as Alvik said, much cheaper to maintain.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur