Kenda Equalibrium Tire review w/ pics

I figured I would post up a review and my thoughts on the Kenda Equlibrium tire. When I purchased it there wasn't much around. Most of it was I just put one on I will let you know...

I am a very average rider, not crazy fast, not slow, can hold my own with most people. I am a weekend warrior and get to ride 1-3 times a month.

I ride a 2002 KX250 in Central Texas. Most of my riding is slow technical woods trails. Dirt is a mix of lots of different stuff, from an almost sandy to the rich black dirt you find in the woods. I ride a lot of roots, and a LOT of limestone rocks and ledges.

I have had the tire on for maybe 100-110 miles I would guess. My first experience with it was on a trail we ride that is very technical rocky nasty loop. Its a 5-6 mile loop and takes 30-45 minutes depending on how aggressive you're feeling. It had just rained and the trail was slick. I loved the tire, traction was awesome, better than the tire I was running even in dry conditions. if I raced and used tires for one race weekend I think this would be my top choice. Like I said I'm not a racer or really fast. I have read some reviews from A riders who said it did not last a weekend and lost lugs within its first race.

Now that it has some more miles on it I am still happy with the traction due to its soft flexible lugs (you can turn a new lug 1/4 turn). However it is wearing faster than I hoped. We'll see how much more it drops off over the next couple of rides. 

Conclusion: I would buy it again, performance has been very impressive, although it has worn faster than I would like. But that is always the trade off.

See pics below for some reference.

Here are some pics of it new:

D3AA38B7-9C2C-417E-99EF-D8209C5B33D7_zps

ABC29649-C772-465C-8587-8140B4031796_zps

61E495A3-247E-4B8A-A2E2-BAF2314337A9_zps

And with approx. 100 miles or so:
5E4AB457-0C6B-4C61-A00C-E84B8B89D921_zps

53B9916A-6836-4DAD-BD24-F65ECA71F037_zps

606B204C-AE1C-40EC-AFFD-0F16601ED811_zps

2962383B-FAB0-4808-BC31-D7C1370F485E_zps
  • Like 1

I ran an Equilibrium end of last year on my Beta, this is a pic with about 200 miles on it and it almost looks like new and all we ride is rocks.  I run 6 psi with a Tubeliss.  These tires hook but like a real trials tire it's a different technique vs a knobby.  Air down, let it grip and don't spin the crap out of it that's not how they work.  I can get 1000 miles out of a Dunlop 803 trials tire and even though the knobs get rounded they still grip.  Jury is still out on the Equilibrium for miles but I'm expecting close to the same as the 803.

0322162201_zpsps6ymbfd.jpg

several of my friends have run that tire on 2 strokes, and have 10-12 rides on them without wear issues. SPINNING them is what kills them. 

with a knobby most people just pin it and let it roost. with trials tires spinning it just wears off the surface of the knobs, ruins the sipes, destroys the tire. smoothing out the power delivery will get you more traction, longer wearing tires, and more movement instead of roost. 

• Like 1

Kenda rep told me 7 for endurocross.  Ran it 4-6 in 12mph avg type riding, 2mm HD tube. Held up good enough I picked up another one. The op's pics just tells me it's the wrong tire for his riding. not a bad tire.

Trying a new shinko holeshot sticky now.  Few rides and still liking it too.

I'll have to try and lower the psi and see. 

Like you said I don't in any way think it is a bad tire. I have loved it. Although it seems like it either wears really fast for some, or long for others. 

Now I am tempted to get another one, run lower psi, and try to not spin it as much.

I'll have to try and lower the psi and see. 

Like you said I don't in any way think it is a bad tire. I have loved it. Although it seems like it either wears really fast for some, or long for others. 

Now I am tempted to get another one, run lower psi, and try to not spin it as much.

On my 19" I've been mostly using the Maxxis Desert IT and always an Ultra Heavy Duty tube and 2 rims locks. I run as low as 4ish PSI when it's super wet and snotty but still good at higher speeds and have never pinch flatted but I do try to avoid hitting big sharp rocks at high speed. During the summer when its dry, usually 12ish PSI.