Going 2 Stroke

So my first bike was a honda crf150f and i have had it for about 2 years. I got this bike just to get my feet wet and now im starting to get bored of it. My feet are flat on the ground when i sit on it so im looking for something bigger. Im about 5'7 and 125 lbs. At first i was thinking of going to the crf230 but some of my friends are telling me that its not much bigger. I am starting to look at the cr125 and just wanted other opinions on this. Im trying to stick with honda but im open for any suggestions and i am only going to be woods riding so i dont need anything insanely fast. I appreciate any help that you have to offer. 

Edited by samo2244

I second the Ktm 200 for woods riding. Just picked one up myself and you'll be fine coming off of a smaller bike (like I did). Just respect the throttle and go a gear high to start (so you stay off the powerband most of the time) until you get used to it

This is what I'm told by my buddies who work on bikes for a living, I'm just throwing my opinion out there, they say that 125s are more maintenance due to having to basically be ripping it the entire time because there's barely any bottom end power and it's likely to bog out at lower speeds. Again this is what I'm told and I know they could be wrong about it

Im sot of leaning towards the cr125 because i can find cheaper ones on craigslist. I cant find an xcw for under 2500 in my area and im a college student on a budget. Im looking for a bike around 1600 and there are about 3 125s in that range. Im going to keep looking and i really appreciate the advice. Anything helps 

• Like 1

Im sot of leaning towards the cr125 because i can find cheaper ones on craigslist. I cant find an xcw for under 2500 in my area and im a college student on a budget. Im looking for a bike around 1600 and there are about 3 125s in that range. Im going to keep looking and i really appreciate the advice. Anything helps 

Also look for "200EXC" - its what they used to call the XC-W prior to 07 (?)

I fully understand the budget issues but just to clarify the reasons a KTM 200 makes a better woods bike than a 125 MX bike...

Larger gas tank

18" rear wheel

Hydraulic clutch

Wide range 6 speed gear box with a low first gear

Heavier flywheel

Broader power band

Much more low-end

Softer suspension for soaking ups roots and rocks instead of deflecting off of them

Electric start (maybe - I think the older models may not have it and it's not a huge deal when talking about 2 stroke 125s and 200s since they are so easy to kick)

Headlight

I used to ride a 125 MX bike in the trails.  You can make it work, but there really is a reason that you won't see many MX bikes winning enduros and certainly not stock MX bikes.  Certainly a 125 MX bike is better than no bike though, so if you can't make a 200 fit your budget then you'll still have fun on the 125.

Edited by Doc_d

Cr125 all the way man !

i owned one for 8 years and was almost exclusively ridin the woods....

a 125 is a pilot bike. You quickly learn how to clutch and throttle properly to get the power. You need to work to spit those HP. 

But it's clearly not made to run at low rpm, you will foul spark plugs one after the other. Keep it reving, even though you're ridind slow. Just clutch and rev !