Crank install

So I'm new to the forms and have been searching threads for a while now, I'm trying to install a new crank(wiseco) into a new bike I got. From the info I've gathered it seems impossible with out a tusk crank puller/installer. Or heating the main bearings and freezing the crank(i really hate heating the bearings) I've tried to google DIY crank installers but could find only one with I needed a welder to make,and I don't have. Anyone know a way to do this? I do have access to a press( that's how I got all my new bearings in) if that will help

Sorry forgot to list the bike it's a 07 yz250f

you need the tool. if you were able to perfectly align/secure the case and crank with your press i guess it could work but the margin of error would be huge. very unlikely to work out properly. i'm all for making due without the 'special' tool but not in this case. just my .02

I did a full bottom and top rebuild on my 2013 kx250 with absolutely no special tools the hard part for me was getting the bearings in and then after that the crank just slipped right into the bearings on both sides with maybe a little encouragement with a rubber mallet I didn't hit hard just to wiggle it in and it set perfectly for me...when I was installing it I saw absolutely no purpose for the crank puller and installer I did the whole rebuild with just a few wrenches..and now I'm going on 20 plus hours hard raceing on the crank and it's fine...

Not familiar with kx's but the yz only has one side that will slip in, just so being it's the opposite side everything goes in :(

Thx for your guys input guess I'll search so more of the fourms and google to see if I can make something up

Freezing the crank and heating the bearing works great and really isn't that hard to do. I actually prefer doing it that way especially if I am installing ceramic bearings. Even with the crank install tool you are side loading the ball bearings. Not saying its going to damage anything but I like being able to just drop the bearings into the cases and be able to slide the crank right into the bearing without pushing pulling or god forbid hammering.

Yea I tried that with some of the other bearings and had the hardest time getting them to go in. Finally called my buddy packed my cases and went to his garage to press them in. Broke down and ordered tusk case splitter and crank puller today :) should have this bike put back together in no time!

A crank installer can be made with a piece of pipe, 1/2" or 5/8" threaded rod some washers and a lug nut of the appropriate pitch to match the end of the crank welded to a nut matching the threaded rod.

Yea I tried that with some of the other bearings and had the hardest time getting them to go in. Finally called my buddy packed my cases and went to his garage to press them in. Broke down and ordered tusk case splitter and crank puller today :) should have this bike put back together in no time!

What are you using to heat the cases? Propane isn't enough. I use map gas.

Propane should be heaps or a heat gun. You can do serious damage with a Mapp torch if not careful.

I throw em in the oven. Or when the wife is around, use a heat gun. I like the oven best for even heat. Don't like the idea of a torch.

Edited by ubu