Is there a way to fix scratches in plastics?

My dirt bike's plastics have acquired a decent amount of scratches in it from me tipping over because I am going too slow:) Is there any way to smooth out or flatten the scratches without having to buy all new plastics?

I understand that the larger gouges from rocks and stuff are pretty much permanent but how can I remove the current scuffs without spending a ton of money on new plastic that will just end up looking the same as the others?

Thanks

You can wet sand them with a really fine grit sand paper and polish/heat it to make it shine but honestly it's worth the $100 just to get new plastics.

Two words: Dirt Bike

Two words: Dirt Bike

16 words: I like my bike too much to let it look like an old scratch off ticket

Seriously, right now it looks like someone set it on fire and tried to put it out with a chain.

Anything else I can try?

You can heat them to return some shine. If you get to hot it'll blister.

Seer, heat them with what? A small propane torch?

Heat gun, and you'll still have to be careful...

Honestly plastics for me are something that I replace when they get to the point that it bothers me.

Scratches and stains are just part of it, but when it starts fading and getting loose from the bolt holes wearing out I replace them.

Videos all over YTube will show you exactly how much work it is. Buy new, or roll up your sleeves. I keep my bikes nice too, but scratches are just part of the game. They are consumables.

post-381613-0-76563700-1458692340.jpg

post-381613-0-18075600-1458692361.jpg

Mike's-KX250X-No-Stickers800.jpg

20151224_164043.jpg

LSHD, sweet bikes, what year is the Yamaha?

I ride my bikes. Scratches and battle scars is part of the game. No one notices when I'm flying passed them in the trails or getting the highest high mark on hill climbs. Ten years on my plastics. It adds character. I'm all about performance and having fun. Not looking pretty. My bike gets ridden and it gets ridden hard.

The only time making it shiney and looking good is when you wanna sell it or show off. My showing off is done while the bike is being ridden not sitting on a stand with no scratches or specs of dust on it. It's a dirtbike that gets beat on in the mountains not a $400,000 Lamborghini

Edited by coryf89

I ride my bikes. Scratches and battle scars is part of the game. No one notices when I'm flying passed them in the trails or getting the highest high mark on hill climbs. Ten years on my plastics. It adds character. I'm all about performance and having fun. Not looking pretty. My bike gets ridden and it gets ridden hard.

The only time making it shiney and looking good is when you wanna sell it or show off. My showing off is done while the bike is being ridden not sitting on a stand with no scratches or specs of dust on it. It's a dirtbike that gets beat on in the mountains not a $400,000 Lamborghini

If you're really done showing off then what is with this comment?

After you wash her you can shine her with lemon pledge. It can somewhat hide small scratches.

After you wash her you can shine her with lemon pledge. It can somewhat hide small scratches.

Great advice steve I'll definitely try that

My dirt bike's plastics have acquired a decent amount of scratches in it from me tipping over because I am going too slow:) Is there any way to smooth out or flatten the scratches without having to buy all new plastics?

I understand that the larger gouges from rocks and stuff are pretty much permanent but how can I remove the current scuffs without spending a ton of money on new plastic that will just end up looking the same as the others?

Thanks

razer blade the deep gouges, 

500 grit paper

1500 grit paper

heat gun

wd40

that's start to finish

16 words: I like my bike too much to let it look like an old scratch off ticket

Then don't be a cheap ass and get some new plastics if you love it that much. I always have a new spare set for every bike I own.

Maxima SC1 does a great job of making scratched and faded plastics look new again. Spend $11 and try a can. You will thank me.

You may need to fork out some cash, buy some new plastics, unless you like sanding and buffing, believe me it sux, try finding plastics for a vintage bike, Ufo plastics is waiting for your call.

Since just buying new plastics seems to be a popular answer, what brand of plastics should I go with?

(The bike is a 2014 RMZ 250)

Scratches give character. :D   I was working on my bike yesterday and noticed the major scuffing of the top of the front fender.  Brought back fond memories of the 2 endos I did last year. :facepalm::lol:

Since just buying new plastics seems to be a popular answer, what brand of plastics should I go with?

(The bike is a 2014 RMZ 250)

UFO