F-150 5'5 vs. 6'5 bed for two bikes

So I'm looking to get a truck that can I can load and carry two bikes easily. Other requirements include going on road trips with a family of 5 comfortably (not necessarily with the bikes at the same time), so I need a SuperCrew.

I had it in my mind I'd get the 6'5 bed. Lots of room, and I've done the big vehicle thing growing up with a station wagon. No problem. Well, I drove one in a Seattle suburb and purposely took it to a couple different store parking lots. Reality sunk in that there would be more than a few times it will be a major pain to get around, and perhaps parking lots aren't the same as they were in the 80s. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe in go big or go home with this kind of thing, but I can't help shake the feeling I might be making a mistake.

With that said, does a 5'5 bed work well enough with a bed extender for hauling two bikes? When I look at the attached pic from an older post here, it seems like it should be fine. Any other pros and cons I'm not thinking of? Just looking for some validation from the community. I hate that I'm even asking the question. If I was in a more rural area I wouldn't give it a second thought and go with the 6'5.

Edit: Pic isn't uploading for some reason. Here's the URL to it: http://www.thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_12_2015/post-439995-14513406907607.jpg

Edited by Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

I have the short bed super crew and two bikes fit nicely with the bed extender. The attached is two 450s in the bed.

image.jpeg

Edited by L. Euler

I've driven from Ohio to Florida with 2 dirt bikes, a mountain bike, and luggage for 4 in bed of my 5' Frontier with a bed extender..  I think you'll be more than fine with a 5.5' F150.

Is it really that big of a difference?

I have an f-350 longbox with 6" lift. Sure it is big and sometimes tight when it comes to parking. But being able to load 2 even 3 bikes with the tailgate up is nice.

My dad has a stock shorbox. Only difference I notice is he has a tighter turning radius due to the independent front end.

Ultimately it's your call.

It's sure nice having the extra room at times.

Thanks guys. I go back and forth about it, and I'm going to drive a short bed this weekend to compare the experience.

Other part of the equation: The rig I drove is a 2015 leftover and doesn't seem to be desirable for the area. I'd probably get the best deal on that compared to any other 5'5 with similar trim. We'll see.

I had a 2001 Supercrew (5.5' bed, narrowed towards the back) and I would have preferred the longer bed, not just for bikes.  Lumber, ladders, sleeping people, campers and other accessories, etc.  6.5' is just more useful for me.  

• Like 1

In your case, I'm not sure what benefit you'd get going to the 6.5' bed, with 2 bikes you'll still have the tailgate open, won't you?  

I only carry one bike in my 6.5' bed and to close the tailgate, I need to swing the rear end in diagonally.  I figure with 2 bikes there wouldn't be room to do that but I may be wrong.

I went from a f-150 with a 5.5' bed to a GMC with a 6.5' bed.  I prefer the 6.5' bed in every way.  More room is better, for me anyways.

Go with the 6.5.  Buddy's got a 5.5ft and it's doable with two bikes, but 6.5 means you can put a bike in there diagonally and shut the tailgate. 

With my 6.5 two bikes still means tailgate down. It's a super crew so I get what you mean but if my wife can manage it in the parking lot so can you

Edited by sasrocks

Is it really that big of a difference?

I have an f-350 longbox with 6" lift. Sure it is big and sometimes tight when it comes to parking. But being able to load 2 even 3 bikes with the tailgate up is nice.

My dad has a stock shorbox. Only difference I notice is he has a tighter turning radius due to the independent front end.

Ultimately it's your call.

It's sure nice having the extra room at times.

I agree, its always nice to have some extra space, and if you are worried about parking it, just learn to back in and pull out of tight parking lots. Could do it fine in my lifted f250

• Like 1