Wanting to Ride Mattawa

I am really interested in riding around Mattawa so where would be the place to go and not go? I just want to know the boundaries and how the riding is since up in Cle Elum right now has a lot of snow!

Boundaries are pretty obvious (barbed wire fences) as far as where to go, that all depends on you. There are no marked trails and you don't even need to stay on the trail if you don't want. It's one of those places you really just need to go and check it out. As long as it's not foggy, you really have to work at getting lost.

Sweet thank you! Sounds like I might have to head down there this weekend!

When you are heading North out of Mattawa on the road to the staging area you stay left (it is still straight, you just need to take the left road,I think there might be a cattle guard there). Cheers KTT

Edited by KaToomTime

Sweet hopefully I can get down there this weekend!

Would someone be so kind as to hit Google Maps and report some of the good spots of Mattawa using GPS coordinates?

If you right click a spot, then hit "what's here?" you'll see the GPS numbers pop up. 

What I'd be interested in, are good access points to a system of trails down by Crab Creek road. Where to park down there, etc. 

I have been in the upper part, off of R Road, taking the Mattawa area. 

GPS Spots for upper portion of Saddle Mountain

Turn left onto R road at....

18001 Road 24 SW
Mattawa, WA 99349

46.737563, -119.874815

Once you are here, it's pretty obvious

Unnamed Rd
Mattawa, WA 99349

46.774346, -119.876604

There are double track dirt roads that a big fat adv can enjoy, and you can just generally clown around on anything smaller. I've been once and I didn't see anything particularly challenging (or much fun) for smaller enduro bikes and aggressive riders. But, I may have missed something. I'm under the impression that the trails are actually down below in the Crab Creek area?

The area I just pointed out does have some incredible scenery for pictures. There is a large antenna structure up there, and I believe the elevation gets up to 2k feet from only about 200 down below. For a bigger bike, be careful going down the powerline service road, or you'll wish you had. Very steep and loose gravel.... I almost got stuck there last summer! There are gates and private property to be aware of.

FYI, if you paste the GPS coordinates into Google Maps, they should take you straight to the spots.

Here is the radio tower area of Mattawa. Makes for great scenery. 

Grant County
WA

46.815840, -119.883981

I created this thread to learn GPS. In one hour you'll know just about everything you need to know. It's pretty fun and easy once you get the hang of it, and it can save your butt if lost and add enjoyment to your long trips in the cascades etc. 

Understanding Navigation Using GPS/Longitude & Latitude

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1176227-understanding-navigation-using-gpslongitude-latitude/?hl=%2Bgps

AFAIK, other than the fenced dune area down on crab creek, there are no legal trails, and no trail that legally connects them

Im planning on riding here on Wednesday of this week. Anyone want to join me?

I am heading to Mattawa with two other riders for Friday, Saturday, Sunday riding in the general area. Got a couple Husky 350s and a Honda 450, gonna tear it up and look for fun trails. Hope to take lots of pictures and video and make some video footage of it out there. If any newbies to the area or veteran guides want to join up, let me know. We'll be out there in a Mercedes sprinter RV with a Uhaul trailer. 

On the road! Heading up hwy 18.

Anyone suggest the best place to park a 25 foot rv and trailer? Hoping to have a good fire etc

On a side note, client of mine that used to ride a ton was saying that 12 plus yrs ago that Royal City, near mattawa, had awesome riding. ?

On the road! Heading up hwy 18.

Anyone suggest the best place to park a 25 foot rv and trailer? Hoping to have a good fire etc

On a side note, client of mine that used to ride a ton was saying that 12 plus yrs ago that Royal City, near mattawa, had awesome riding. ?

If you had a local for a guide, there are ways in and around the area for plated bikes that keep you off land you don't belong on.  Exploring by yourself will run the risk of a big fine and/or pissing off a lot of locals. Stay out of the farm fields no matter what you choose to do. I'm not sure about fire arrangements out there these days, but beware of the wind, and ground fires.

Thanks. I'm going to ellensburg powersports for some ideas and real gas. Will ask.

I called the fire district. No burn restrictions currently. Fire district 8 located in mattawa. Cool, look to the east and see the glow...

Sweet thank you! Sounds like I might have to head down there this weekend!

. Thinking of heading down there next weekend if I can get anyone to go with me. Looks like we're both in C E so maybe we can but some thing together

This is a harsh place...

We have been visited by death and mayhem!

A scrap against a boulder cut a fuel line. Bike spent the night in a canyon.

We also came across a local who did not survive the harsh conditions. I suspect she died of thirst. Rip Bessie...

Other than that, this place is awesome.

We are camped at the Beverly orv park. But all the good riding seems up off r road. We did ride down then up the crazy steep switchback from the radio towers down to the highway. The sand hill area that can take you to the top looks amazing but we don't have paddle tires. Anyone made it up that beast?

Nice camp area, had some nice fires and dinners here the last two nights. Today we rescue bike and continue the single track off r road. We will ride in memory of dear Bessie.

• Like 2