Exhaust protection

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone was doing anything to protect their exhaust. I've had my drz for a few months now and she's been down hard more than I like to admit, and I see the exhaust taking some damage. Last week I did the 3x3 and rejetted the stock carb with the jd kit (it's running great!) my new mrd shorty pro z should be coming soon and I'm looking for ideas to keep it nice.

image.jpg

I prefer to fall on the non-exhaust side

I've seen these circle guards that go around the exhaust canister that are suppose to protect the pipe. I would look those up. And if you ordered the shorty MRD pipe its a lot more tucked so it won't be so exposed. I have the 12inch MRD pro comp on my bike. So you may not need the pipe guard.

you're gonna want to use silicone tubing unless you want it melting onto your endcan. stick a big ol clamp inside of it and voila!

I use hyde racing, but im on a 2t..

They make sliders for the exhaust, that are fairly universal. I have one on my DRZ.

rs2mod5.jpg

I believe it's just derlin around a hose clamp. They make an insulation that you can also get that goes between the slider and exhaust as well (optional).

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone was doing anything to protect their exhaust. I've had my drz for a few months now and she's been down hard more than I like to admit, and I see the exhaust taking some damage. Last week I did the 3x3 and rejetted the stock carb with the jd kit (it's running great!) my new mrd shorty pro z should be coming soon and I'm looking for ideas to keep it nice.

I prefer to fall on the non-exhaust side

In all seriousness...Although falling on either side is not ideal.  Falling on the non-exhaust side is much more likely to have the shifter punch a hole in the stator side cover of the engine case...  That is a $160 fix and happens all the time!!  If you do not yet have some case guards on your bike--GET THEM. $40 While you are at it remove both the shifter and brake pedal and make them real smooth and round on the back sides with a file or a grinder.

In the background of this pic you can see my Z which has some Moto-Racks.com racks on it. (awesome racks and company Tom fabbed mine up to custom spec to fit my bags clips and added extra strap loops)  The racks were not real cheap....but I can carry crap and as a side benefit they definitely offer some protection of the parts hidden behind them. (exhaust)

IMG_1727.JPG

Nice ideas, I've seen those exhaust sliders but never knew what they were. Yea, I've got the case savers, rad guards, handgards, and skid plates already. Just tryin to keep my can as nice as I can. I got the shorty so hopefully it will tuck in there better but if it looks exposed I'll get one of those and post how it works out. I love the idea for a rack, but I think that's a little more down the road for me. And I'll definitely smooth out my shifter and brake lever, they have already hit my case savers a few times. Thanks guys

Wow! Did you bend the subframe? :jawdrop:

I was going to say that the aftermarket cans are smaller and tend to hide behind the sidecover better but that is one hellava hit!

Yes it was. I was going up a really steep shale wall with a little too much throttle, popped off the top with more air than I thought, land straight up and immediately whiskey throttled. It all happened quite quickly but the last thing i saw before I slammed was my rear fender exploding into many pieces. Basically the bike rolled completely back and the rear fender just dug in and exploded. If the subframe is bent, I haven't noticed, it seems to ride alright. Stay tuned I'll post my Mrd Shorty exhaust when I put it on tomorrow

Tst fender eliminator and mrd z pro shorty

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm doing the same thing but was advised to not drive it after doing the 3 x 3 and the JD jet kit until I put on the exhaust or will run to lean and possibly damage the motor

you're gonna want to use silicone tubing unless you want it melting onto your endcan. stick a big ol clamp inside of it and voila!

mines rubber and not melted haha

I was looking at the TST, but went with the edge and the 12. O'clock processor board, just ordered yesterday. JD just arrived today, MRD some time within the next 10 days. How do you like the sound of the MRD?

i love it, its alot louder and deeper than my friends with a fmf powercore 4. i can see where it might be too loud for a long trip without the silencer in