Possible purchase this weekend. Need advice on TE450

Hi All

I am looking at a 2007 TE450 with 6800 miles and wondered if that is high miles or if that was not an issue, baring in mind that all the maintenance was done as needed.

Hi All

I am looking at a 2007 TE450 with 6800 miles and wondered if that is high miles or if that was not an issue, baring in mind that all the maintenance was done as needed.

Not in my opinion.  I have several TExxxs around there or more.  That doesn't mean it hasn't been abused though.  Look it over carefully and see if you can get a feel for if that bike got loved.  Is it clean, even in places it's hard to clean?  Maybe some tasteful accessories that kind of show that the owner likes his bike?  No leaky fork seals, no old and crusty grease from the suspension linkage - things like that.  Easy to start, idles and runs nice?  Smooth (relatively speaking, for a 450) going down the road?  Anyway, I would certainly not rule it out based only on the miles.

It does have one leaking fork seal but other than that it is very clean everywhere. Guy has the seal and oil that goes with the bike. I looked it up online and doesn't look like a very hard job to do.

Inspect the fork tubes for wear or nicks that might be tearing a fork seal.  Otherwise, yeah, it's easy to do.  I recommend the Motion Pro fork seal driver.  Measure the diameter to be sure, but the forks should be 50mm, so get their 49/50 mm driver.  After you get the old seal off, wrap some cellophane tape over the bushing slot on the tube so you don't tear the new seal up when you slide it on.  After you've done it once, you can probably do both fork tubes in half an hour.