MXA interesting read on Crossover bikes 2016 Yamaha YZ450X

This is a Beta forum, and I thought I would supply some good info and where some of my thoughts come from with relation to Beta's ability to compete on the big stage.

This is not so much about the Yamaha, but how the market got to where it is, and what it takes to compete.

It is my thought that other than weight, Beta could be right in there right now.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/we-ride-the-electric-start-yz450fx

yz450fxflag.jpg

There is also a shootout on all the '16 450's http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/2016-mxa-450-four-stroke-shootout-crf450-vs-fc450-vs-kx450f-vs-450sxf-vs-rm-z450-vs-yz450f

and a TM450 test ride http://motocrossactionmag.com/motocross-actions-videos/mxa-rides-the-only-2016-tm-450f-mx-four-stroke-in-the-usa

It is good stuff and is something a lot of us don't keep too focused on, but it is good to check it out once in a while.

2016_450_shootout_6.jpg

Edited by Johnny Depp

This is a Beta forum, and I thought I would supply some good info and where some of my thoughts come from with relation to Beta's ability to compete on the big stage.

This is not so much about the Yamaha, but how the market got to where it is, and what it takes to compete.

It is my thought that other than weight, Beta could be right in there right now.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/we-ride-the-electric-start-yz450fx

attachicon.gifyz450fxflag.jpg

There is also a shootout on all the '16 450's http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/2016-mxa-450-four-stroke-shootout-crf450-vs-fc450-vs-kx450f-vs-450sxf-vs-rm-z450-vs-yz450f

and a TM450 test ride http://motocrossactionmag.com/motocross-actions-videos/mxa-rides-the-only-2016-tm-450f-mx-four-stroke-in-the-usa

It is good stuff and is something a lot of us don't keep too focused on, but it is good to check it out once in a while.

attachicon.gif2016_450_shootout_6.jpg

I'm a subscriber and read these articles too.. good articles.. 

I must say though that  I don't agree that "Beta could be in there right now". 

Beta is in there right now.. Beta is as good as any bike out there right now .. in a variety of riding and racing.. Nick Burson is winning... Kyle Redmond and Max Gerston are doing well,. Hemmingway brothers in extreme enduro and sprint enduro..GNCC got Temple and Groemm....Cody won an endurocross championship ..Just look at Enduro World Championship..To me that's a better indication of the level of where Beta is at. It's riders from all over the world.. It's the best riders all over the world ; and racing all over the world..and Beta Competes at that high level. So Johnny Aubert, Steve Holcolm and Alex Salvini are doing well. I really didn't expect much at all as far as winning championships etc.. but Beta is..or is close enough to the top..

But Aubert won the Italian enduro championships!!! that's big time.

http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/40-general/616-aubert-on-winning-form-in-italy

http://enduro21.com/index.php/40-general/615-results-feed-italian-enduro-championships-round-3  

Aubert first on a 300 rr and Alex Salvini close second on a 430.. They won first and second but to me if they were even in the top 10 or 15 that's great. 

MXA has it's head up it's ass.

They are hyper opinonated and negative about anything that is not familiar or popular.

They openly admit that they HATE riding on unfamilar terrain, that they think trail riding is only for people without courage and daring, and that if you like riding with an 18" rear wheel, you have never really ridden a REAL dirt bike....

They believe that groomed terrain (tracks) are the best way to evaluate any kind of dirt bike.....

They will spend 4 column inches on the weight of a Yamaha, and only one line on the fork problems on all KTM's (which after 5 years they admit are pretty bad, stock).

I have never seen another magazine (or website) that puts anywhere near the effort and energy into bike testing and gets it right.

They have long been accused of favoritism- Yamaha Action, KTM Action etc. and they don't care. Manufacturer's have been known to hate them, race organizations hate them, pro rider's hate them, and customers wait for their review before speaking with their wallets.

Edited by Johnny Depp

JD, I sense something in your posts/mood lately that makes me SURE you need a good ride. Hope you can do it soon.  Good luck!. :ride:

Edited by YHGEORGE

JD, I sense something in your posts/mood lately that makes me SURE you need a good ride. Hope you can do it soon.  Good luck!. :ride:

You got that right, really have too much pent up and need a good ride to release.

I always look forward to chatting with you, you always seem to get it. Whether you own a Beta or not doesn't matter to me.

There is a large amount of whining that goes on unnecessarily about repetitive things. It is rare to engage with intelligent feedback.

Sometimes it seems a waste of time to come here, I don't care to pussyfoot around how I feel and what I know. There is a reason for the other Beta forum, they don't dilly dally too much, it's just the facts man.

Now after insulting the audience, how do you feel about what MXA had to say?

Edited by Johnny Depp

I have never seen another magazine (or website) that puts anywhere near the effort and energy into bike testing and gets it right.

They have long been accused of favoritism- Yamaha Action, KTM Action etc. and they don't care. Manufacturer's have been known to hate them, race organizations hate them, pro rider's hate them, and customers wait for their review before speaking with their wallets.

I gotta say that as far as technical articles and actually some good articles mxaction is great.. but like Krannie said they have a very narrow view of the motorcycle world and I wouldn't necessarily agree with them on that narrow view..actually I don't.. but I read all the mags and sift through the crap to get the better stuff.. dirt rider has totally gone to shit.. when's the last time you saw a good tech article..It's turned more into a catalog. I have a lot of the old dirtrider and Dirt bike etc..mags.. the old mags are like night and day better.. Dirt bike has fallen off too a bit but not as bad as dirtrider.. I get all the mags anyway or most of them.  I grew up riding in trails with my Dad. The consensus then and still the consensus now here is you aren't a good rider unless you can ride mx and hard core offroad.. extreme enduro style like how it's always been here. The Kurt Caselli types.. the Ricky Dietrichs.. Taddy, There's a bunch of   Really that's how it is for the best riders in the world..World enduro, Extreme enduro, Mx .. the great ones did it all. Roger Decoster was a trials champion also besides being a 5 time mx champion.  It's a broader world.. 

You got that right, really have too much pent up and need a good ride to release.

I always look forward to chatting with you, you always seem to get it. Whether you own a Beta or not doesn't matter to me.

There is a large amount of whining that goes on unnecessarily about repetitive things. It is rare to engage with intelligent feedback.

Sometimes it seems a waste of time to come here, I don't care to pussyfoot around how I feel and what I know. There is a reason for the other Beta forum, they don't dilly dally too much, it's just the facts man.

Now after insulting the audience, how do you feel about what MXA had to say?

I enjoy MXA and learn from every issue. Their perspective is skewed to MX and I understand that, should be obvious. I have sometimes felt they have an axe to grind but if you keep it in context and pay attention to the full scope of their message it is usually well thought. Jody can be quite sharp at times but I feel he has earned a great measure of credibility over the years. Far too many attach their insecure egos to their bike choice and take things too personal when their choice is found lacking in some area.  My first two serious dirt bikes were Buls way back in the very early seventies, I learned early on that carrying my feelings on my sleeve was not a good approach.

I was going to bring some of this up the other day actually. The mags suck they think the only riding in the country is in California and have basically no offroad coverage. Dirtbike is pretty good and Dirtrider has gone down hill. I'm a fan of Keefer but I also listen to the PulpMx show and he is on there a lot. People call

In and ask about offroad bikes and once specifically beta and he said he had no idea about the brand other than they had one and it was pretty good. This guy markets himself as a PROFESSIONAL test rider and doesn't know anything about offroad bikes. MXA is getting harder to read. Really every test is exactly the same, add a tooth, suspension is too soft for pros anyone with a modicum of skill can rebuild a two stroke blah blah blah. Twmx might as well be called freestyle mx and clothing catalogue. RacerX is good writing and a good magazine if you don't have the Internet and cable and haven't followed a current race in the last 6 months. Sorry rant over but these dudes need to get with he program, motocross is dying and offroad is taking over, and less than 1% of riders spend every weekend at glen Helen with Jody Wiesel spinning laps for REM.

Dirt Rider is the best mag.

They know about Fuel Injectors and Graphics and Kickstands better than ANY other mag.

Their point of view is sooo open and neat-o.

rev_zpsntg79wmu.gif