rear tire 140/80-18

looking for a new rear tire for my EXC 500. The rear tire that came stock is 140/80-18. What other size tires will fit? looking for both metric and standard tire sizes that will fit. 

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good DOT certified tire that will fit. looking for something with lots of traction in any type of soil and that wears out pretty slow. I mostly ride dirt (95%) and occasionally ride street (5%). 

Edited by Lovemydog

Kenda trak master II K760 120/100-18 sounds like the tire you are looking for. I have one on my 350excf I have been extremely happy with it

I have a 500 XC-W. I purchased the MotoZ tractionator I/T. 110/100-18. However, I don't have any real seat time with this tire yet so I really can't tell you how good it is. Just going by reviews I've read and looks... A 140 seems big. Even on my 690 I went down to a 130. The reviews I've read said that the 140 is flatter, better for the street and the 120s or 130s have more of a roundness to it, better for off road and leaning.

What year is your bike? My 2014 bike came with the DOT maxxis endurpro.  I switched that out for the DOT metzler six days and it seems like it has better off road traction and wears about the same.  I ride about the same mix of terrain, probably 90% dirt.

Edited by PTECH

Holy smokes...

Its a 2016. So these are probably quite ridiculous questions. But I would like to clarify this so I understand. Will any tire size fit as long as its an 18? Does the rim width have to match up with the tire width? Are all 18 inch rims the same width and its just the tires that are different widths?

Yes there are different 18" rim widths.  Yours should be a 2.15 which is very common.  110,120,130,140 or 4.60-5.30 tires are typical sizes for that rim.

Is there a way to find out the size other than just calling the dealer? I looked on the side of the rim and I dont see any numbers. Is there a way to measure it when the tires off?

Yep, inside of rim is 2 1/8"

Most 140 tires are about the same width as a 120, I run the Michelin Starcross non DOT on my 500 in a 140 and the width is fine.  Most manufacturers post the tire dimensions so just do a quick size comparison on the brand you want to run before buying it.

Most 140 tires are about the same width as a 120, I run the Michelin Starcross non DOT on my 500 in a 140 and the width is fine. Most manufacturers post the tire dimensions so just do a quick size comparison on the brand you want to run before buying it.

Agree. A lot of the 140 tires I've seen have lower profile tread and the 120's have deep tread. So they are about the same. 140 is better on the road though for me. The lower profile tread is stiffer. Edited by Deepseadan