Cleaning spokes?

I know its been cover before on old thread, but products come and go over time.

Anyone know what's the best way to get those beautiful spokes to shine again on an SM?

Or should I just call it a day and get some spoke skins?

I just use an old rag, some brake cleaner and a little patience

I've tried brake cleaner, degreaser, simple green, soap, etc. nothing ever works. They get black and etched over time.

First what I do is clean the spokes with regular soap and water. Then get some polish and steel wool and clean them like that. It works great for me

Edited by Yz85

Steel wool should work. I ended up getting spoke skins for my new bike and while they were a pain in the arse to install they look good and protect the spokes so they should look new if I ever take them off.

Steel wool should work. I ended up getting spoke skins for my new bike and while they were a pain in the arse to install they look good and protect the spokes so they should look new if I ever take them off.

I've read somewhere that some people were having issues with spoke skins trapping water and causing the spokes to rust? 

How true is this? I haven't seen it first hand so hopefully someone can chime in.

I've read somewhere that some people were having issues with spoke skins trapping water and causing the spokes to rust?

How true is this? I haven't seen it first hand so hopefully someone can chime in.

Well I haven't had them long enough to know. I don't drive in the rain and only time they will get wet is washing it. With that said, I doubt the water will get stuck in them if you drive it after washing it

The spokes on the 08 daily driver i bought, where so eched that steel wool and chrome polish would not make them look and better. So after braking one, i'm going to replace the whole set of them. There reasonably cheap for Suzuki.

• Like 1

The spokes on the 08 daily driver i bought, where so eched that steel wool and chrome polish would not make them look and better. So after braking one, i'm going to replace the whole set of them. There reasonably cheap for Suzuki.

You might look into Bull Dog stainless ones.....I got some and they are very impressive. They look much thicker in diameter and I've had them now for about a year, give or take, and I think they were around $80.....honestly can't remember tho. I'm sure you can get other kinds, and probably cheaper since I know you like to have a rough and tumble bike, but I thought I'd throw that out there..........