A guy is selling me a 01 yz 125 for 1800. Is that a good deal

He says it has a fresh top end, but that the only reason he has for why it's that price? And are their any negotiating points anyone can give me? 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458739346.358391.jpg

I paid $1,800.00 for a 2005 YZ125 back in 2009 and it was in very good condition. Personally, there is no way that I would pay $1,800.00 for that 2001 model.
  • Like 2

I paid $1,800.00 for a 2005 YZ125 back in 2009 and it was in very good condition. Personally, there is no way that I would pay $1,800.00 for that 2001 model.

+1.

IMO $1200 would be closer to what I would pay. I paid $1100 for my '99 last year, but in pristine shape and owned by a motorcycle mechanic with a garage full of 80's-90's enduro bikes that he still races.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 2

My considerations for looking for a used 125 would be to expect the clutch to be shot, suspension sacked, and top end worn. Figure those expenses into the price and then ask yourself if the price is good.

• Like 3

He says it has a fresh top end, but that the only reason he has for why it's that price? And are their any negotiating points anyone can give me?

You'll have to find the negotiating points. If he can't prove to you when he did the top end, with receipts or pics, tell him you're going to have to figure that into the price since he doesn't know.

Take your own stand and put the bike on it. Check for play in the front and rear wheel bearings (wobbly wheels). Check for play in the swing arm bearing, and check for play in linkage (hold the bike and lift the rear wheel up and down) Check for play in the steering stem.

Start the bike and listen for extra noise in the motor. Was it hard to start? Not a good sign. Take a clean white rag and wipe the fork tubes and rear shock, looking for excess oil (needs seals)

My best piece of advice is to go in convinced that you'll be able to find another great bike at a better price. Don't tell yourself "I've gotta have this!" Because, at that price, I have no doubts another better deal is out there. Even if all that checks out, I still wouldn't give more than the earlier prices mentioned.

FWIW I just picked up a 2005 KX250 in really nice shape, maintained and only needing fork seals for less than $2000. $1800 for an older 125? No thanks.

He says it has a fresh top end, but that the only reason he has for why it's that price? And are their any negotiating points anyone can give me? 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458739346.358391.jpg

No, its not.   Even with a fresh top end, its too much for a 15 year old 125cc bike with old plastics.  Fresh top end is only about $120.

Does that look like a 250 pipe to anyone else?

Edit. Im pretty sure thats a 250

It is a 250.... Hahaha I'm sorry guys I've been having a lot of 125 offers and I assumed it was for some reason. I checked on it and it is a 250. Smh

Does that look like a 250 pipe to anyone else?

Edit. Im pretty sure thats a 250

Hahaha really good eye, I didn't know until my father pointed out last night looking at it. He look at the muffler too.

It is a 250.... Hahaha I'm sorry guys I've been having a lot of 125 offers and I assumed it was for some reason. I checked on it and it is a 250. Smh

Hahaha really good eye, I didn't know until my father pointed out last night looking at it. He look at the muffler too.

Next time you look at a bike be sure to take Dad along. ?

• Like 1

My considerations for looking for a used 125 would be to expect the clutch to be shot, suspension sacked, and top end worn. Figure those expenses into the price and then ask yourself if the price is good.

This information from Metal and Dirt is absolutely spot on!  Very true statement indeed.

• 2 months later...