Not a Newb! Help Can't keep bike running.

So Not a Newb here, I've owned this bike for 10 years, I have done all the maintenance, and mods to this bike myself, including rebuilding the Transmission, Big bore etc.  I'm completely stumped and out of ideas now.  Please Read and offer suggestions.

So to Start off here are the specs of my Bike
2001 Suzuki DRZ-400 converted to SM,  Owned by me since 2005
The relevant Mods for this issue. 434 Big Bore Kit, Hot Cams, FCR 39 Carb, Yosh TI Exhaust,  3x3, Free power mod, James Dean Jetting

Last Fall the Bike ate a Stator (Even tho the loctite fix was done on this)  Bike sat in my Heated Garage all winter.

Few weeks ago I replaced the stator, put in a new battery, did basic maintenance (Changed oil, New Fuel, New Plug, Cleaned air filter, checked fluids, air pressure bla bla bla)   Bike started right up on Choke, and died a few minutes later and WOULD NOT RESTART. After many attempts to restart the bike I drained the battery enough to give up and recharge the battery.    This same issue happens every time I try to start the Bike... Fires right up than dies a few minutes later.

Things I've checked/done.

Doesn't matter on Fuel Petcock position (Prime or Reserve) 
Vent is attached to Fuel Petcock
Fuel Petcock taken apart and cleaned, (Both the diaphragm and the fuel filters)
Fuel line inspected and cleaned
FCR Carb taken apart and Cleaned (A FEW TIMES)  Floats are fine, cleaned all Jets, Needles, passage ways, and the                                                          little filter inside,  I've done this more than once. (At first I thought it had to be a Carb problem)
Timing Checked
Valves Lash inspected  (15 intake 20 exhaust)
Checked all wires, and connections,
Clutch safety was already bypassed
Kick stand safety was already bypassed 
already had the "Free Power mod" But double checked the connections
Fuel Screw set to 2 turns out.
Another new Plug.

As I mentioned Bike starts right up on first attempt. (With choke) but dies soon after, and WILL NOT RESTART. Just cranks over and over and over,  I'm still getting spark when it dies and doesn't restart, Doesn't help if I spray starting fuel threw the air-box, it will back fire a bit here and there.  I've tried it with the Fuel cap off (Vapor Lock)  Tried with the Fuel screw at all positions,  Tried a different Spark Plug. Kicked it,  Hugged it, begged and pleaded with it, Even sat on it and made BRAAAAAP Noises.....

I'm pretty much out of Idea's now.

Had same prob with stock petcock, it would fill carb then cut off.  Hook a hose/catch can to the petcock outlet and verify flow

Had same prob with stock petcock, it would fill carb then cut off.  Hook a hose/catch can to the petcock outlet and verify flow

Flows very quickly on Prime.  (It's how I drain the Tank).  Checked it on Primary and Reserve by lightly blowing in the Vent Line. (Fuel does flow)

Edited by 4Hummer

What do you mean by a few minutes ? Like 2-5 ?  Is there a chance you let the bike sit after you changed the oil and fuel could have leaked into the oil  ?  My bike would do the same with gas in the oil, Id make it about a block or two from home and thats all she wrote till she cooled back down. 

• Like 1

What do you mean by a few minutes ? Like 2-5 ?  Is there a chance you let the bike sit after you changed the oil and fuel could have leaked into the oil  ?  My bike would do the same with gas in the oil, Id make it about a block or two from home and thats all she wrote till she cooled back down. 

I'll drain and check the Oil again.   Dipstick doesn't smell like Fuel.   But only one way to be 100% sure.

Bike only runs long enough to warm up than quits, and doesn't restart.  

Edited by 4Hummer
  • Like 1

Did you measure the replacement stator before/ after the problem occurred?

When it dies and doesn't restart, you should pull the spark plug and see if it's wet or dry. Then check to see it there is spark. If there is spark and the plug is wet, it's just flooded. Carb needle and seat leaking? fuel in oil?

Did you measure the replacement stator before/ after the problem occurred?

The Old stator was literally EATEN by the engine,  (Bolts... even tho loctited came loose)

New aftermarket stator was installed. 

Voltage checks out on the new stator and It is charging the battery, no ground faults between yellow wires (Went threw "The Free Mode" article to verify the charging system after replacement 

The Old stator was literally EATEN by the engine, (Bolts... even tho loctited came loose)

New aftermarket stator was installed.

Voltage checks out on the new stator and It is charging the battery, no ground faults between yellow wires (Went threw "The Free Mode" article to verify the charging system after replacement

Agreed with Andy check for fuel in the oil. Then make a couple more braaap noises. Hopefully with the bike singing along.

Should not require your assistance to drain on prime, this sounds like a vent is plugged or restricted.

Have you verified the level of fuel in the float bowl as soon as the motor cut out? Have you double checked that the carb's float valve opens, allows a good stream of fuel to pass and then closes at the correct fuel level?

Should not require your assistance to drain on prime, this sounds like a vent is plugged or restricted.

On prime if flows no Problem.  One Primary and reserve You have to blow into the Vent line in order to get it to flow.

You have a vacuum petcock, swap out with a raptor.  Common prob with DRZ.  Can run on prime, select on or reserve when parked.  Don't bother with a rebuild kit, does the same thing in short order.

Make sure the vacuum line behind the petcock is connected, no kinks and does not have any cracks.  If so, replace.

Oil Changed no major hint of Gas in Oil. 

Heres a Video of what it's doing

Vacuum line is connected.  Does the Same thing on, Prime, Reserve or On, (I've taken apart the Petcock and verified it's good) .. See first post.

Holy shit... I dont have much to add as I'm out of an ideas, but heres a pitty bump.  Definitely not gas in the oil, mine would run longer than that (3-5 minutes)  Feel for ya ! 

Have you tried venting the gas tank  ? Whats it take to get it restarted ? (Wait 20 minutes or what ) 

Edited by isu22andy

Holy shit... I dont have much to add as I'm out of an ideas, but heres a pitty bump.  Definitely not gas in the oil, mine would run longer than that (3-5 minutes)  Feel for ya ! 

Have you tried venting the gas tank  ? Whats it take to get it restarted ? (Wait 20 minutes or what ) 

I tried venting the Gas Tank.  I wait about 30 minutes and it will restart.  Hate to just start throwing random parts at it.

Edited by 4Hummer

Measure the ohms on your ignition coil when cold. Start bike and measure again when engine cuts out, if ohms get higher bad coil.

Measure the ohms on your ignition coil when cold. Start bike and measure again when engine cuts out, if ohms get higher bad coil.

I will Check this Tomorrow. Thanks

It sounds like it's flooding. You get the classic 'thump', fuel detonation, in the exhaust note when you crack the throttle open which also indicates there's a spark so there's no reason to question that. Again I ask, are you sure that the float valve is functioning and cuts off fuel once it gets to the right height in the bowl? If it allows the fuel level to get too high or doesn't cut off the fuel flow at all the motor will keep flooding and failing to start until you wait long enough for the excess in the motor to evaporate or drain out of the combustion chamber after which you futilely go through the starting process all over again.

Next time you start the bike and have it running, immediately stop the flow of fuel to the carb by pinching the fuel line. If the motor keeps running, keep the fuel line pinched until the motor sounds like it's going to die at which time you should allow more fuel to flow into the bowl. If you can keep the motor running with this process then, well, you know thew answer to your problem.

Edited by Diogenes415
  • Like 1