Ktm clutch slave how does it work?

Hi people! My Ktm 125 sx 2005 clutch is playing up. I've tried back bleeding it but no joy. After taking the slave off I noticed its passing the oil out of the little drum. I though maybe the drum is what pushes out to engage the clutch where as mine isn't as it's just pushing the round the sides of the drum? Just need to know if mines broke or if it's suppose to be like that? Thanks ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458745814.093207.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458745826.376068.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458745838.657511.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458745848.543153.jpg

In pic #3, that's the piston. It has an oring on it. If oil is pushing around it, it needs replaced.

Why does the housing rim in pic #3 look like it's beat to crap?

Thanks thought it might be knackered. I'm not sure it does look like it's been hammered don't it..

One thing on the slave cylinders, make sure they're mounted flush, I know it seems like a weird thing to mention but I had an enduro engineering slave cylinder guard on my old 200, it had a bar that went from the topmost bolt of the slave cylinder to the upper chain slider, it was too thick and ended up wearing a groove in the slave cylinder body.

One thing on the slave cylinders, make sure they're mounted flush, I know it seems like a weird thing to mention but I had an enduro engineering slave cylinder guard on my old 200, it had a bar that went from the topmost bolt of the slave cylinder to the upper chain slider, it was too thick and ended up wearing a groove in the slave cylinder body.

Ive never used a slave guard. I reckon mine is probably just abit battered from a previous owner who's swapped it with a spare slave out of his junk box lol! Is there much point in the slabs guards? I mean the slave on mine is set back quite abit the stator cover and front sprocket would get smashed first.

Buy a rebuild kit and be done with it. Comes with everything you need and once you have the slave off it takes literally 5 minutes. Make sure you clean up that edge (pic #3) with a Scotch Brite pad. Once reinstalled bleed from the lever back. Good luck!

Edited by zderekv

Ive never used a slave guard. I reckon mine is probably just abit battered from a previous owner who's swapped it with a spare slave out of his junk box lol! Is there much point in the slabs guards? I mean the slave on mine is set back quite abit the stator cover and front sprocket would get smashed first.

the guards are in case you fling a chain it doesnt take out the slave cylinder. on non hydraulic clutch bikes they're called case savers.

Buy a rebuild kit and be done with it. Comes with everything you need and once you have the slave off it takes literally 5 minutes. Make sure you clean up that edge (pic #3) with a Scotch Brite pad. Once reinstalled bleed from the lever back. Good luck!

Yeah that sounds good. Would I be able to just remove the o ring and replace with another? I'm guessing it's the o ring that has gone for it too pass oil..

Yeah that sounds good. Would I be able to just remove the o ring and replace with another? I'm guessing it's the o ring that has gone for it too pass oil..

I suppose you could but the kit is only like $50 and it comes with a new piston, spring and ball and all of the o-rings. Basically everything that could possible cause the leak.

In the parts fiche, the oring isn't offered separately. You might be able to match it. Depends on where you live and and the sources available locally. You'd have to take careful measurements of it and try to match rubber type/consistency.

I suppose you could but the kit is only like $50 and it comes with a new piston, spring and ball and all of the o-rings. Basically everything that could possible cause the leak.

Yeah I'd happily buy one I'm just struggling to find a repair kit for the magura clutches here in the United Kingdom!

Yeah I'd happily buy one I'm just struggling to find a repair kit for the magura clutches here in the United Kingdom!

Oh, man. Good luck. I wouldn't mess with trying to spec an off the shelf o-ring if I had another option. I got my repair kit from KTM World, located in Georgia (USA). I'm sure they could ship you one I'm just not sure what the freight charge would be but its worth a call. Hope you get it back together ASAP.

Oh, man. Good luck. I wouldn't mess with trying to spec an off the shelf o-ring if I had another option. I got my repair kit from KTM World, located in Georgia (USA). I'm sure they could ship you one I'm just not sure what the freight charge would be but its worth a call. Hope you get it back together ASAP.

ill get one shipped from Ktm Austria

ill get one shipped from Ktm Austria

That's the way to go. If you've never done it before it's very simple to do.

That's the way to go. If you've never done it before it's very simple to do.

i was looking for some videos on how to tackle it as I'm not sure what comes apart first? But couldn't find any for the magura. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458844310.843577.jpg how do you remove that piston?

i was looking for some videos on how to tackle it as I'm not sure what comes apart first? But couldn't find any for the magura. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458844310.843577.jpg how do you remove that piston?

http://youtu.be/UAI4sVi-zXc

FYI - my piston didn't come out as easy as it does in this video. I had to work it out. Believe I used the help of a flat screw driver and a rubber mallet from the back side.

Also, not sure where you're at but there is a snap ring in there somewhere too. It's all explained in the video above. Git 'er done!

Edited by zderekv

You may need to smooth the inside edge of that housing rim with something so as not to risk a jagged edge tearing up the piston oring as you remove and re-install the piston.