KX 65 rearbrake pedal bolt and threads

Just installed a rekluse clutch on my sons 2012 kx 65. When putting on the rear brake pedal I can't seem to get the bolt to thread into the threads on  the frame.

Can anyone tell me what the best way to go about fixing this is? And the the thread specification so I can re-tap it if I need to?

Thanks in advance.

Try threading it without the pedal to make sure it's the right bolt. Maybe you are going in at an angle and the threads aren't catching?

Thanks, but i tried that.

So does it go in without the brake pedal in place?

If yes, then you are not getting it aligned 100% with the pedal on. This is easy to do and it only has to be off a hair to not get the threads started. Or you may have something assembled wrong not allowing the bolt threads to actually catch because the pedal is moved to far out.

If no, then the threads are could be bad on either the bolt or the threaded hole. This can be the result of someone trying to force it while it was misaligned. 

Rocky Mountain says it is an 8mm bolt in the OEM parts fiche.

92151 92151-1572 BOLT,BRAKE PEDAL,8MM $14.55

6 In-Stock

If you need to re-tap, take the bolt to the hardware store, and find the correct metric nut that screws onto it. On the bolt bin it will tell you the correct size and pitch. Then you can grab a helicoil set. If the threads are stripped out, you will likely need a Helicoil over just re-tapping it. Helicoil's are pretty sweet and not bad to buy a kit that fits the bike and keep it in the tool box. I just had to helicoil 2 of the threaded holes for my fork guards.

When I get home I can check and see what size my Helicoil kit is. It is for all my motorcycle 8mm bolts. My guess is it is probably the same.

Edited by freeriders98

Thanks for the response. It doesn't go in with out the pedal. the threads on the bolt seem fine.

I can see threads in the hole so I think I'm going to try to re-tap it first. if that doesn't work I'll have to try the helicoil.

Thanks for the response. It doesn't go in with out the pedal. the threads on the bolt seem fine.

I can see threads in the hole so I think I'm going to try to re-tap it first. if that doesn't work I'll have to try the helicoil.

Yeah the threads may just be buggered up some, and you can re-cut/clean them up.

re-tapped threads and it went right in. He rode it for the first time this weekend.

Thanks for the help.