I am 15 180lbs and have never ridden a dirt bike besides when i was 8 i had a little one. I am looking at a WR400 2000 in excellent condition. 

I have a yamaha wr400f have the lights for it no title compression valve to start it and runs nice able to ride but after shutting it off hard to get it to start again may need a coil I think coil get hot after a while it's only 15$ awesome bike just needs that little thing fixed new plastics and graphics on it full fmf pipe comes with a two new tires Arnt put on yet and a new back sprocket 
Asking 1250 OBO open for trades let me know what u have worst thing I can say is no

I'd trade that guy some English lessons for the bike.

Seriously though...  don't believe anyone that says,  "It doesn't run but it's just a $15 part."  If that were true they'd have replaced it.  It's just like the people that say, "It doesn't run but just needs the carb cleaned".  Well then clean the carb and get back to me when it's running.

Edited by Doc_d

I'd trade that guy some English lessons for the bike.

Seriously though...  don't believe anyone that says.  It doesn't run but it's just a $15 part.  If that were true they'd have replaced it.  It's just like the people that say, "It doesn't run but just needs the carb cleaned".  Well then clean the carb and get back to me when it's running.

Well what could be the problem with this bike?

Well what could be the problem with this bike?

It's impossible to diagnose a bike that I've never seen before based on a biased description from a guy trying to sell it.  But hard starting after it's hot is often a problem with the valves.  It could be as simple as just needing to have the valves adjusted or as expensive as needing valve replacement/head work.

You didn't ask for my opinion but being 15 years old without a lot of motorcycle experience or presumably budget to maintain a race bike, I'd suggest maybe looking for something like a CRF230F, XR250/400, TTR230, etc.  Those are bomb proof trail bikes that don't need a ton of maintenance and will be easy to learn on.  That is unless you plan on racing on a track in which case those bikes (and the WR400F) aren't good choices.

Edited by Doc_d

For that money you can buy a good running bike.  And a WR400 is a pig.  Not a good choice for a novice rider.  Never trust anyone that says a bike is not running but can be with something minor.  Think about it.  Why wouldn't they just fix it then?  Because it isn't minor, that's why.

• Like 1

It's impossible to diagnose a bike that I've never seen before based on a biased description from a guy trying to sell it.  But hard starting after it's hot is often a problem with the valves.  It could be as simple as just needing to have the valves adjusted or as expensive as needing valve replacement/head work.

You didn't ask for my opinion but being 15 years old without a lot of motorcycle experience or presumably budget to maintain a race bike, I'd suggest maybe looking for something like a CRF230F, XR250/400, TTR230, etc.  Those are bomb proof trail bikes that don't need a ton of maintenance and will be easy to learn on.  That is unless you plan on racing on a track in which case those bikes (and the WR400F) aren't good choices.

I also looked at a 2002 yz250f what about that bike?

I also looked at a 2002 yz250f what about that bike?

I think it's certainly a better choice than a WR400F especially if it runs well.  But just keep these points in mind.  That's a 14 year old 4 stroke race bike.  They are maintenance heavy anyway and at 14 years old unless it just sat in the garage for the last 13 years it could need a lot.  Add that to the fact those were the fairly early days of 4 stroke race bikes when the engineering wasn't quite as figured out as it is today and that could be expensive to maintain.   If you buy that bike and it needs $1,500 in motor work 2 months from now can you afford it?

I know they aren't sexy, but based on what you've told me about yourself and assuming you are not racing on a track, I'm going to stick to saying if I were you, I'd be looking at a Yamaha TTR230, Honda CRF230F or Honda XR250/400.   If you wanted something a little racier than those but still less maintenance than early 2000s 4 strokes I'd look for a 125 two-stroke MX bike (YZ125, CR125, RM125 KX125).  At least when those blow up they are much cheaper and easier to fix.

Edited by Doc_d

I think it's certainly a better choice than a WR400F especially if it runs well.  But just keep these points in mind.  That's a 14 year old 4 stroke race bike.  They are maintenance heavy anyway and at 14 years old unless it just sat in the garage for the last 13 years it could need a lot.  Add that to the fact those were the fairly early days of 4 stroke race bikes when the engineering wasn't quite as figured out as it is today and that could be expensive to maintain.   If you buy that bike and it needs $1,500 in motor work 2 months from now can you afford it?

I know they aren't sexy, but based on what you've told me about yourself and assuming you are not racing on a track, I'm going to stick to saying if I were you, I'd be looking at a Yamaha TTR230, Honda CRF230F or Honda XR250/400.   If you wanted something a little racier than those but still less maintenance than early 2000s 4 strokes I'd look for a 125 two-stroke MX bike (YZ125, CR125, RM125 KX125).  At least when those blow up they are much cheaper and easier to fix.

Alright thanks for your help i actually just found a local 2006 crf230f works perfect new battery 80% tread and 100% stock for 1300. SHould I go for that?

Alright thanks for your help i actually just found a local 2006 crf230f works perfect new battery 80% tread and 100% stock for 1300. SHould I go for that?

This is just my personal opinion, but I think that would be a much better bike for you both from the perspective of learning to ride and easy/cheap maintenance.  Yeah that YZ250F sure does look and sound cool.  But trust me, having a broken bike in the garage you can't afford to fix sucks.  

After you've owned something like the CRF230F for a while, you'll have learned a lot about riding and bike maintenance.  During that time you can save up for a newer higher performance bike.  Also once you start riding you'll learn what you really want out of a bike.  That's different for everbody.

So yes, I think you'd be making a very wise choice.

Edited by Doc_d