Kx450f Suspension Help!

Hello all, as a new member here I am at a bit of a stump. I recently bought a new 2015 kx450f last year and it is way to stiff suspension wise. I talked to the guys at race tech and they recommended a 5.0kg rear spring, is that going to be a big difference from the stock 5.5kg spring?  I weigh about 140 without gear and want the suspension to be great! Also should I mess with the front forks or have them revalved? Or should I stick with this spring and see how it goes... Hopefully this rear spring helps I trust the guys at Race Tech for sure but am very worried it might still be a stiff ride. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Hello all, as a new member here I am at a bit of a stump. I recently bought a new 2015 kx450f last year and it is way to stiff suspension wise. I talked to the guys at race tech and they recommended a 5.0kg rear spring, is that going to be a big difference from the stock 5.5kg spring?  I weigh about 140 without gear and want the suspension to be great! Also should I mess with the front forks or have them revalved? Or should I stick with this spring and see how it goes... Hopefully this rear spring helps I trust the guys at Race Tech for sure but am very worried it might still be a stiff ride. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

I think getting the softer rear spring will be a great start. I weighed 180 and I went down a spring rate on my 2015 a it helped a lot. I went to a 5.3kg. I would ride the bike after you get the correct spring and see how you like it. A super stiff rear shock will cause all kind of problems. ALso get yourself the showa Tac app. Its excellent. I have my 2016 450 almost dialed from playing around and trying to remedy certain problems. Its bone stock. Don't be afraid to play around with clickers, pressures and sag. Just record where you started so you can always go back!! Good luck. Start with setting your sag! most guys complain about suspension but don't even start with the basics!! Cheers!

get the front set up for you too, no springs on the front though,just air pressure and clickers like already stated.

Alright I will try the new spring when it comes in and mess with the forks a bit to see how it goes.. I appreciate the help and will search for some more lower priced aftermarket goodies such as grips and few other things. Thanks again for the help! 5.0kg should be the right spring? right?

Alright I will try the new spring when it comes in and mess with the forks a bit to see how it goes.. I appreciate the help and will search for some more lower priced aftermarket goodies such as grips and few other things. Thanks again for the help! 5.0kg should be the right spring? right?

That should be pretty darn close. Rule of thumb is .1 for every 10lbs of rider wieght up or down from stock. I think stock is 185lb rider so not sure

Edited by spin05

Okay thanks I never

That should be pretty darn close. Rule of thumb is .1 for every 10lbs of rider wieght up or down from stock. I think stock is 185lb rider so not sure

Okay thanks I never really knew that. I will definitely try the new spring and adjust the forks more to my liking. Thank you everyone for help. Also I know this is about suspension but I also want to make the other slight weak spots better for the kx450f such as bars and grips, maybe chain/sprockets... Any suggestions on what is good/worth it? Thanks again

Edited by Hayden 21

Riding style also determines spring choice. On either end.  The spring rate guides are just guides. But at 140 lbs the stock spring is horribly wrong no matter what. 

Just for fun ... I remember Chad Reed talking on Pulpmx about stock bike setup, and he said the first thing he does on any stock 450 is soften the rear shock. Spring and valving. He hates a firm rear or soft front. He said most stock bikes are setup for "slow vets" who like to sit with weight back and want the bike to front steer. Which makes sense since that's the primary sales market.   It's the episode with Keefer where Chad says that magazine's fastest test riders are "20 seconds" slower than a national pro. So Matthes always reminds Keefer ... "20 seconds". Funny shit.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1