97 DR350se stalls at idle

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 97 dr350se with 14k miles on it. It was a one owner bike and seems to be in very good condition, runs excellent and fires right up every time. The only problem I am having with it is that it will stall when in neutral or in first with the clutch pulled. It doesn't do it every time I'm in neutral, it's kind of sporadic. It will start right back up with no hesitation after stalling. Also when it does stall it the engine just stops abruptly, it won't bog and die slowly which is why I don't think it's the carburetor. I have taken it apart and cleaned the jets on the bottom (didn't know exactly what I was doing) but it looked pretty clean. Also it was doing this back in January when I would ride it in the cold so I don't think it would be an overheating issue. If anyone has any ideas of what may be causing this please let me know, I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks for all the help

-Cameron 

dr350.jpg

I have a 91' and if the the bike isn't warmed up proper it will just die. When I start it up I have to let it warm up quite a while before I push that choke in, otherwise it just suts down on me.  Even if it seems to be running fine I can drop it into 1st and it will just stop. When warning it up I wait for it to bumps up to 5k rpm on its own, that's I know its good to go. I am sure others have different experiences. The quirks of having these older bikes I suppose. 

Mine is the same way when cold and I'm sure a lot of other 350's do this too. However I should have added that my bike will still turn off during idle even after warming up completely and riding for an hour or so. Also my bike has the Clarke 4.3 gallon tank if that might make any difference. That and the fuel line from the tank to the carb is rather long but still that shouldn't cause it to cut out instantaneously. 

P.S. Joebmx I read in the manual about playing with the choke to keep it around 2500 rpm during warm up, do most people follow this or is it better to just leave the choke on full similar to what you do?

Thanks

-Cameron

Cameron that's a really good question I don't know what other people do to warm up the bike. Good to know about the 2500 K though. It already takes me a long time to get the bike warm, I feel like it would take 10 minutes to warm up if I kept it at 2500 RPM. I will give it a go though.

I also have a Clarke tank and while driving had it stall on me once every ride during my commute of 20 miles. Funny thing is it always died in the same place on the ride. I had rebuilt the carb not too long prior as it was pouring fuel out of the float bowl. Not knowing much about it I adjusted the float height.  I think I ended up adjusting too much so that the float bowl didn't actually have enough fuel in it to feed the carb at the higher sustained speeds. I ended up taking the carb apart again, adjusting the float height and think I must have got it correct as it doesn't stall anymore.

Edited by joebmx

Are you still having this problem? Did you check your clutch cable? I had this exact same problem, my clutch wasn't being fully engaged therefore the bike would die in gear even though the clutch lever was pulled back. Dying in neutral is most likely a carb problem I would start with checking the pilot jet for a clog and then make sure the idle circuit is totally clear, any junk in there can cause stalls.