Results - 2012 CRF250R Rebuild

So over the years I've seen a million posts on oil, what to use - what not to use, as well as maintenance varying disciplines. Just had my sons 2012 CRF250R Top and bottom end rebuilt. After looking at the crank and piston, I'd say that my disciplined maintenance paid off. I changed the oil every-other ride with good-old Rotella, and changed the air filter every ride (in a rare case I'd go two rides on the air filter, but not more than that).

Original Crank 140 hrs

Piston 70 hrs

Barely any play in the connecting rod - probably still within spec

Overall, looks like just the expected skirt wear. But nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty happy with the results.

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

So you went out of your way and maintained the bike very well just so you can replace all the service parts anyway? I'm still on the stock crank in my 06. There was no play with the last top end so I left it. But that was 5 years ago... Its probably time but splitting the case intimidates me a little, and I should upgrade anyway. Thanks for posting. Wish I woulda put a hour meter on my bike, it's gotta be wayyy up there.

So you went out of your way and maintained the bike very well just so you can replace all the service parts anyway? I'm still on the stock crank in my 06. There was no play with the last top end so I left it. But that was 5 years ago... Its probably time but splitting the case intimidates me a little, and I should upgrade anyway. Thanks for posting. Wish I woulda put a hour meter on my bike, it's gotta be wayyy up there.

You'll be fine, As long as you have a service manual on board you're good to go. Cote motorcycles on youtube does a lot of crf engine teardown videos as well1

My son has been riding the piss out of it for 6 race seasons. Because of it, I've been a little paranoid lately of some kind of failure on the track. Rather than wait until it fails by throwing a rod through the case [As in this example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXeEIyp1fc], I figure I'd get ahead of it and replace the critical wear parts beforehand. These 250's get alot of high RPM abuse- 450's not so much. I had a 2005 CRF450R that probably had at least 300 hours on the bottom end when I sold it. It still started in 2 kicks until the day I sold it and never gave me a problem- it was a solid bike. As long as you change the oil and air filter, these Honda's are golden. I think a big reason for this is Honda's design which separates the tranny and engine oil. Why other manufacturers don't do it, I will never know. That's what keeps me coming back to Honda when it comes to MX bikes.

Edited by MotoJunkii

My son has been riding the piss out of it for 6 race seasons. Because of it, I've been a little paranoid lately of some kind of failure on the track. Rather than wait until it fails by throwing a rod through the case [As in this example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXeEIyp1fc], I figure I'd get ahead of it and replace the critical wear parts beforehand. These 250's get alot of high RPM abuse- 450's not so much. I had a 2005 CRF450R that probably had at least 300 hours on the bottom end when I sold it. It still started in 2 kicks until the day I sold it and never gave me a problem- it was a solid bike. As long as you change the oil and air filter, these Honda's are golden. I think a big reason for this is Honda's design which separates the tranny and engine oil. Why other manufacturers don't do it, I will never know. That's what keeps me coming back to Honda when it comes to MX bikes.

Mine has been solid as well and I don't take care of it as good as you. Everyone else on other than the honda section will say different tho.

That guy got off easy. Better it happen there than a 80 foot double!