1985 Honda FL350r with 380 big bore-Need help

When I go back out to my dads this summer I found a 1985 fl350 that my cousin has. He wants 1500 for it which I think is a good deal. He said it has less than 20 hours on a full rebuild with a 380 big bore. He got it from the guy who did the big bore but lost contact since. I can't find any info on a 380 big bore or where it came from. I've drove it last summer and its absaloutly nuts. Tires spinning all the way to 70 and it goes 120 km/h. I plan to put a DG pipe and 38 mm carb and a comet 102c clutch and air box mods as well. Any info on a 380 kit or where to get a replacement piston when the time comes would be great.

(Stock it was 329 cc after the recall in 86)

Edited by CarmanCRF

• 3 weeks later...

When I go back out to my dads this summer I found a 1985 fl350 that my cousin has. He wants 1500 for it which I think is a good deal. He said it has less than 20 hours on a full rebuild with a 380 big bore. He got it from the guy who did the big bore but lost contact since. I can't find any info on a 380 big bore or where it came from. I've drove it last summer and its absaloutly nuts. Tires spinning all the way to 70 and it goes 120 km/h. I plan to put a DG pipe and 38 mm carb and a comet 102c clutch and air box mods as well. Any info on a 380 kit or where to get a replacement piston when the time comes would be great.

(Stock it was 329 cc after the recall in 86)

$1500 for a good condition Odyssey FL350R? That's a great deal! I had one some years back. They are fun machines. Sorry, don't know anything about the 380 kit.

• Like 1

$1500 for a good condition Odyssey FL350R? That's a great deal! I had one some years back. They are fun machines. Sorry, don't know anything about the 380 kit.

That's what I figured too. The cheapest one I could find in Canada was 2800 which didn't run and a restored one went for 5500 last year. Average was 3500 on kijiji. I'm finding that a lot of people had them years ago but I can't find many around now. Idk what happens to them all

• Like 1

That's what I figured too. The cheapest one I could find in Canada was 2800 which didn't run and a restored one went for 5500 last year. Average was 3500 on kijiji. I'm finding that a lot of people had them years ago but I can't find many around now. Idk what happens to them all

I think most people keep them forever! LOL. I had the Odyssey FL350 and a Pilot FL400. Wish I never sold the FL400. It was just like the FL350, but with much better suspension, water cooling and cooler looking design (in my opinion). Power wise, they both felt the same to me, even though there was a large cc engine gap between them.

I sold both of them on eBay and made a great profit. The FL350 was purchased by a famous country music star, believe it or not and shipped / transported to Tennessee from my home in Oregon. Unfortunately I was asked not to reveal their name and don't want to betray that trust.

Anyhow, great find on the FL350! You should get tons of fun out of it. Just remember to turn it off when you are not moving. They can overheat pretty easy since they are only air cooled.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

So did you purchase this Odyssey?

I was working for the Belk Tyler's Honda Shop in Rocky Mount, NC when this machine came out. They were Yellow, If memory serves correct w/ 250 c engine. It had a Constant Variable Clutch, similar to what the 2-story Flu-Cured Tobacco harvesters were using to be propelled by a V-4 air cooled Wisconsin engine. That to me was very interesting. This is the basis for the CVT transmission used in many new vehicles today, nothing new, just a re-do of old technology. The color changed to red later years.

This was one of the "Original Point and Squirt" dune buggy four wheelers, before the "BIG Explosion of the Tri-cycle 3-wheelers" peaked, with a finger actuated throttle control. These machines had multipoint belt harness systems and full roll cage, that truly worked pretty well, and lighting system on the upper roll over system. Remember Honda had already come out with the ATC line up in the 70cc & 90cc sizes with full on slick, sand balloon tires front and rear. In North Carolina, there are no sand dunes to ride on legally. Back in 69-75, there were a few not as restricted sand riding areas, but Farms paths and field edges were most common for Eastern NC. The size of the Odyssey was quite larger than any dirt bike for the time, so transporting these had not been marketed very well either.

During the Tans-AM Motocross series, Lake Sugar Tree in Axton , VA was on the circuit for many years, even through the controversial name change (THANKS for that GM) to the Trans-AMA series. One year my friend who purchased one of the Odyssey and took it to Axton for the hill party all the campers would have during the days or nights prior to the Trans-Am races. Normally it would rain and the hill sides made for especially exciting partying play time with getting vehicles in and out. So the Odyssey made for fun times out in the grass doing do-nuts at night, until it would flip over on the roll cage, so when we saw the driver's lighting system roll over sideways the would stay belted in, just lay on side in machine, rev engine until someone would run out in the pasture grass and push the Odyssey back upright and the whole process would start over again. The fun finally ended when the Security Patrol came out and told us "Ya'll Gonna' have to stop doing that, or we'll be confiscating your dune buggy". Well, the roll bar was starting to gent kinda' bent over and one of the lights had broken, so the fun had to stop.  So for our region the pastures and rolling hills in some pastures were the dunes this machine was meant to ride on and be at home with, large wide open riding areas.     

On 10/20/2019 at 4:03 AM, AMSinator said:

So did you purchase this Odyssey?

I was working for the Belk Tyler's Honda Shop in Rocky Mount, NC when this machine came out. They were Yellow, If memory serves correct w/ 250 c engine. It had a Constant Variable Clutch, similar to what the 2-story Flu-Cured Tobacco harvesters were using to be propelled by a V-4 air cooled Wisconsin engine. That to me was very interesting. This is the basis for the CVT transmission used in many new vehicles today, nothing new, just a re-do of old technology. The color changed to red later years.

This was one of the "Original Point and Squirt" dune buggy four wheelers, before the "BIG Explosion of the Tri-cycle 3-wheelers" peaked, with a finger actuated throttle control. These machines had multipoint belt harness systems and full roll cage, that truly worked pretty well, and lighting system on the upper roll over system. Remember Honda had already come out with the ATC line up in the 70cc & 90cc sizes with full on slick, sand balloon tires front and rear. In North Carolina, there are no sand dunes to ride on legally. Back in 69-75, there were a few not as restricted sand riding areas, but Farms paths and field edges were most common for Eastern NC. The size of the Odyssey was quite larger than any dirt bike for the time, so transporting these had not been marketed very well either.

During the Tans-AM Motocross series, Lake Sugar Tree in Axton , VA was on the circuit for many years, even through the controversial name change (THANKS for that GM) to the Trans-AMA series. One year my friend who purchased one of the Odyssey and took it to Axton for the hill party all the campers would have during the days or nights prior to the Trans-Am races. Normally it would rain and the hill sides made for especially exciting partying play time with getting vehicles in and out. So the Odyssey made for fun times out in the grass doing do-nuts at night, until it would flip over on the roll cage, so when we saw the driver's lighting system roll over sideways the would stay belted in, just lay on side in machine, rev engine until someone would run out in the pasture grass and push the Odyssey back upright and the whole process would start over again. The fun finally ended when the Security Patrol came out and told us "Ya'll Gonna' have to stop doing that, or we'll be confiscating your dune buggy". Well, the roll bar was starting to gent kinda' bent over and one of the lights had broken, so the fun had to stop.  So for our region the pastures and rolling hills in some pastures were the dunes this machine was meant to ride on and be at home with, large wide open riding areas.     

Yeah I did buy it. 20 hours on it and it lost compression. Looks ok inside and ordered rings and gaskets but I left and havnt seen it in a couple years as I live 4000km away. Turns out it’s the biggest wiseco available so no hope of a rebore. Someday I will do something with it. Fenders are cracked but there and it’s not had much use. Original paint is in great shape. Has a race car seat and 24” itp mud lites but mostly original. Has a comet 94c clutch as well. Right now I’m deep into Yamaha 200/225 3 wheelers so not really a priority